Nominate Albums for forthcoming Best of 2010-2020 Tourney

Kayo Dot

images

Reactions: Reign in Acai
J doesn't like the dot, my work in the tournament is done ;) ....also if it loses to Vola...that would be a travesty :erk:
Also who voted for the torture chain?--good band---but their 'mutilating astral entities (2013) and wasting syndrome (2016) are the superior albums.

Also two of my picks against each other---sorry lake of blood!

Did I sing praise of Mystras in another thread? I really need to stop piling praise on albums during a dopamine drip.

The production on that album is abysmal. I cant even hear what tf that dude is trying to convey over the muffled static of his casio keyboard being smothered by a pile of laundry that his mom needs to tend to if she didnt have to work two jobs to support his infantile ass.

(Cover art is unruly, music MIGHT be to my liking, but my ear hair is a lot stronger than my heart nowadays. What tf is going on aside from music being played two favelas over through an open window?)

<insert must use imagination cant hear shit gif>

i guess Im still in the 90s where bad production doesnt faze me.

EDIT: For you newbs that need clean production:

Interviewer: Just as stark as the content of the record itself is its production backdrop. The distant, hazy production of this record balances atmoblack and Second Wave aggression brilliantly. In an era of increasingly crisp and pristine production values, why choose this style of recording?

Ayloss: This particular subgenre of black metal is almost always drenched in cassette noise, distortion and reverb so it was a no brainer for me honestly. Or at least, this specific aesthetic I wanted to evoque. Black metal cassettes of the 90’s with drawings of castles in the cover and so on. It’s something that I’ve never tried before and I’m excited to explore this kind of sound, although I think the next Mystras album will come out a little cleaner.

Yea, that entire spiel sounds like an artsy coffee shop cop out.
I dont mind muffled sub par production, actually prefer it given what it adds atmospherically. Just posted how swell Eternal Deformity sounded in the "listening thread," and thats far from polished.

This Mystras album may as well be Harry Houdini singing from a crate after being chained and dunked into the sea. Unfortunately, poor old Harry couldnt reach the pick on this fateless afternoon and gurgled and gasped to his waning breath like a gerbil up the keister o' Gere. I cant hear SHIT.

Reactions: Henrik Main
Mystras was okay after the first song. I have paid good money for not one but two of those 17 hour long Paysage d'Hiver "demos" so that whole re-re-recorded-broken-tapedeck-across-town sound can't bother me all that much.

Vektor curbstomped it though. That album was :kickass: from start to finish.

Reactions: Ellestin
I have to admit leaning toward the judgmental camp re:Mystras. I mean, just like Ken I usually love albums recorded under a motorway bridge at peak hour, but in a few instances said recording comes across as contrived and tiring instead of atmospherically enriching, and this album is """almost""" in that boat, even though I quite dig it and even though I'll give it my vote over the infuriating Vektor hypetrain. Look to the two first Obtained Enslavement albums for good examples of how complex music thrives in reasonably unsanitized production (imo ofc).

I'll give it my vote over the infuriating Vektor hypetrain.

My nigga. 2nd rate Voivod worship.

Funeral Mist
New band to these ears. Crazy odd vocals. Was there a kid singing in there too? wtf? I enjoyed it.

Vemod
Another newbie for me. THis seems like a grower. Less folky Bergtatt? Or more guitar oriented Burzum? Who knows. Good stuff though.

Ugly vs pretty. Naughty vs nice. Reverse cowgirl vs cowgirl

I listened to the 8 albums I own in this bracket.

Verity kicks ass. I think I ignored it because it wasnt Voice of Steel II, and it isnt. But its a totally solid record

Panegyrist is something Im usually not into, but it works. Better with each listen, and it rules on headphones.

Obsequiae rules

Mystras rules harder, no matter what some deaf fuckers say

The new Nile didnt do much for me on last listen.

Summoning, duh. Rules

The alcest isnt his best. In fact, I prefer almost all the others to this one. The last two albums are some of his best work, but Souvenirs and Les Voyages will always be my faves and hold a special place in my cold, evil heart.

Dead Congregation kicks my ass and I thank them for it. Not much newer death metal impresses me, but I dig this one. Better than the new Nile

Almost done with my first once over of the bracket. Far better than A, with some almighty duds mixed in. While this lot is superior, the matchups are far easier to decided upon.

Lake of Blood vs Thy Darkened Shade is another toughie.

I can see myself buying 6-9 albums off of B.

Prob start the voting next Mon. (Plenty of time to digest, then we'll let the wine breathe to savor the tourney flavor.)

Ugly vs pretty. Naughty vs nice. Reverse cowgirl vs cowgirl

Do reverse in front of a mirror.

Reactions: Krilons Resa