BS 04 - Power & Black Stage

Cruel Humanity

Creature Of Fear
Nov 25, 2002
DERBY
www.cruelhumanity.com
how about this for an idea ... ok a knicked from Wacken idea ... but never the less.

Power(puff :p ) stage (Main)
Black stage (2nd stage)

cos i've read alot of post on other sites from people saying they aint going to BS cos theres just to much Power metal, i can see there point, i only saw two bands last year, Bal-Sagoth & Return to the SABBAT, far enough i would have gone anyway cos i got cheap tickets and only live 5 minutes walk down the road.

thoughts dudes

2nd stage was where I stayed last year, exept for when i went to see biomechanical, freedom call and blind guardian.
Making it the 'black stage' would be a good idea, then fans of extreme metal and power/traditional metal both have stages for their prefered music... now its more, bands with a smaller following (unsigned, celtic, black metal) play 2nd stage. It wouldnt change much though. I just think there should be more extreme metal bands booked in future

Cruel Humanity said:
Power(puff ) stage (Main)
Black stage (2nd stage)

cos i've read alot of post on other sites from people saying they aint going to BS cos theres just to much Power metal, i can see there point, i only saw two bands last year, Bal-Sagoth & Return to the SABBAT, far enough i would have gone anyway cos i got !!cheap !!tickets and only live 5 minutes walk down the road.

thoughts dudes

My thoughts:

I think you're excellent at self promoting your band on this message board and very good at getting your buddies (or yourself) to register under different names to support you.

As far as trying to attract potential fans from the 'Power(puff )' genre. I think you could do a lot better.

If a few people decide not to come because there’s too much Power Metal then I’m sure their spaces will be filled judging by the response I got when handing out some of Mentalee’s Flyers at the Stratovarius gig.

Not a bad Idea about your stage plan though. Although I think William’s suggestion may make more sense.

For 04 I’d go for,

Main Stage: Power Metal
Darwin Suite: Extreme Metal
Friday Night: Traditional Metal

I agree with Eagle. There's room for all the different types of bands at Bloodstock.

There's a good mix already, and the second stage is shaping up to have some good heavier stuff. I saw 4Wk support Anthrax recently, and while they weren't my cup of char, they were VERY impressive.

The thing about a festival, surely, is that you don;t have to watch all the bands. We popped out to Pizza hut when Diamond Head were on last year 'cos I'm not fussed about them, but I went to see BG & GR because you get naff all chance to see 'em in the UK.

btw - I liked the Cruel Humanity stuff I listened to on your site. Looking forware to seeing you guys as well.

Originally Posted by Cruel Humanity

Power(puff ) stage (Main)
Black stage (2nd stage)

cos i've read alot of post on other sites from people saying they aint going to BS cos theres just to much Power metal, i can see there point, i only saw two bands last year, Bal-Sagoth & Return to the SABBAT, far enough i would have gone anyway cos i got !!cheap !!tickets and only live 5 minutes walk down the road.

thoughts dudes

If that were to be the case, then surely I would read alot of posts on other sites from people saying they aint going to BS04 cos theres just to much black metal!!!!

There are other people out there who may want a hardcore stage, prog stage, punk stage, emo stage, grunge stage, nu-metal stage, doom stage, goth stage, industrial stage, stoner stage etc etc so how exactly do you cater to everybodies tastes and keep 'em all happy?

Personally, I like to think the average 'Bloodstocker' is more open to all the various types of 'metal' there are these days, considering that the music Bloodstock is putting on is hardly covered by UK media, fans have to make an effort to go out and find out about bands themselves rather than having what they should like preached to them, so I would say the diversity element is far more important than having a single style stage.

Eagle said:
My thoughts:

I think you're excellent at self promoting your band on this message board and very good at getting your buddies (or yourself) to register under different names to support you.

As far as trying to attract potential fans from the 'Power(puff )' genre. I think you could do a lot better.

If a few people decide not to come because there’s too much Power Metal then I’m sure their spaces will be filled judging by the response I got when handing out some of Mentalee’s Flyers at the Stratovarius gig.

Not a bad Idea about your stage plan though. Although I think William’s suggestion may make more sense.

For 04 I’d go for,

1. thnaks .. i do put a lot of effort in to promoting the band, but no i dont regester under different names nor do i get any friends to register and follow up threads.
we probly could do better @ attracting the potential 'Power(puff)' fans ... the "puff" bit is just for FUN! i dont mean owt by it.

2.yeah theres still gonna be a shitload of people there(and according to Vince Ticket sales are going REALLY well), i know power metal is more popular the black/death ... but in the circles i travel in people are saying they like to see more extreme metal.

Sounds fuckin ideal :headbang::devil:

Cruel Humanity said:
i know power metal is more popular the black/death ... but in the circles i travel in people are saying they like to see more extreme metal.
Different people have different tastes. I'm caught somewhere between the two camps here in that I'd like BS03 to have more power metal metal than last year and more black metal. I'm with MentaLee, though. I like the diversity. It's hard, though, because I don't think that most extreme bands come across well live (witness Bal Sagoth last year -- I like the CDs, but they absolutely sucked live and were a big disappointment). Black metal at least tends to work better live than death metal or other extreme metal types. Power metal, for better or worse, generally comes across much better in a live environment. Primal Fear stole the show at BS01, and Freedom Call, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian were all excellent last year.

I must agree with everyone here, great idea! Definately something I'd like to see employed for BS04.

I think a nice mix of Black, Gothic and possibly even Death metal would attract many more people to the festival, and would certainly keep me and a large number of others very happy! It would also provide the perfect opportunity for some more obscure European abnds to make UK debuts.

As far as i can see the three main aims of Bloodstock have always been

1) to allow us uk fans to see bug metalbands that rarely/never come to the UK
2) to promote up and coming UK non-mainstream metal talent
3) To keep real metal alive!!!

If i made up these ideas, please feel free to tell me they're wrong!!

Yes, thats true. But one could also argue that bands like twelvepointhead are not REAL metal and I dont see anyone who wants nu-metal there anyway!
A couple of unsigned bands is great aslong as they are good bands people will like.

Traditional metal and Power Metal are not so differenet to me but thats a debate for elsewere, but haveing set stages alienaltes cirtain bands, Therion would in theory have to go on the second stage but theses no way you are gonna fit all the stuff they'd need on there (the full 20 peice Chior they'd need), also it means that bands like In Flames could never play at BS either (there's no way in hell they'd settle for anything less than main Stage given the responce to their last gig in the UK, same for Dimmu Borgir, My Dying Bride and Children of Bodom). Its a Good Idea in theory but in practice it just makes equality even harder.

On an associated note Eagle, Cyberfella and I support Cruel Humanity because like us he is in an unsigned British Extream Metal Band and about half of the bands from this country are power metal, I have nothing against power metal but I do think too much of any one Genre is bad. Imagine if you will that this is Norway, now you have to go to a festival with nearly no Power Metal bands and a tone of Black Metal, how would you feel...

Baletempest said:
about half of the bands from this country are power metal...

Baletempest, I would have to take issue with mate.

Surely UK Power Metal is waaaaay less represented than extreme metal in the UK ?

I'm talking *real* Power Metal like '

DragonForce
PowerQuest
Shadowkeep

I know there are bands like 'Intense'/'Area 54'/'Bloodstream' etc, but I wouldn't call 'em 'Power Metal' - would you ??

Whereas just check out sites like http://www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk or the 'musicians wanted' ads on metalUK - Chock bleedin' full of extreme / black stuff...

Which I suppose actually backs up your request for more extreme metal at Bloodstock.......... :)

Volcane said:
Baletempest, I would have to take issue with mate.

Surely UK Power Metal is waaaaay less represented than extreme metal in the UK ?

I'm talking *real* Power Metal like '

DragonForce
PowerQuest
Shadowkeep

I know there are bands like 'Intense'/'Area 54'/'Bloodstream' etc, but I wouldn't call 'em 'Power Metal' - would you ??

Whereas just check out sites like http://www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk or the 'musicians wanted' ads on metalUK - Chock bleedin' full of extreme / black stuff...

Which I suppose actually backs up your request for more extreme metal at Bloodstock.......... :)

I agree with all of your points except that I would class Intense as Power Metal. Also Power Metal is the most diverse style of all Metal genres and that's probably why it has such an appeal to a wide range of audience.

Well if you consider the amount of bands this country produces (being very low, even the Fins outnumber us at times and there are only as many of them as there are people in London) then more are Power Metal than any other genre. As for PM being the most Diverse, I'd say Gothioc is a bit more so, listen to Therion, Rotting Christ and Lacuna Coil in that order, very different bands in the same genre.

I agree with your point that some bands 'wouldnt fit' on the small stage. True, and I guess that they could do something like have 1 or 2 unsigned power or whatever bands on the small stage and 1, maybee 2 bigger gothic/black/death metal bands on the large stage.

The great genius myself has thought of an idea that should keep within everyone’s tastes. Have Bloodstock04 run over 3 days with each day the Mainstage being set for a particular theme or genre, e.g. Friday - TRADITIONAL/HARD ROCK, Saturday POWER/PROG, Sunday, EXTREME METAL. Have just 6 bands on the mainstage so they get more playing time and time to set up between and still pack out the Darwin Suite with the best unsigned, up and coming and underground bands to give them a chance.

TRADITIONAL/HARD ROCK

Halford
Dio
Doro
Armoured Saint
U.D.O
Lordi

POWER/PROG
Manowar
Gamma Ray
Rhapsody

Evergrey
Lost Horizon
Circle II Circle

EXTREME
Anthrax
Cradle Of Filth
In Flames
Children Of Bodom
Borknagar
Napalm Death

How does that look/sound as an example line up/idea?