Bugera amps

It would be cool that they made those things available to poor kids who live off breastmilk and dirt in Eastern Buttfuckistan and would surely die if it weren't for t00by goodness, except for that whole bit where they're stealing designs, period, end of discussion. Some companies out there actually make new products and push the boundaries a bit, at risks anywhere between a few jokes on a forum to complete and utter financial ruin, and don't get the benefit of another company to test the waters and see how it goes. These companies drive actual innovation and make cool shit. Having guitars shaped similarly to one another is one thing, but developing electronics is serious fucking business and it isn't fast, easy, or cheap - and when people are going to rip off designs that cost a great deal to create and perfect without compensating the designers, it's theft.

Not only that, the utter lack of imagination just hurts. '6260'? Wow, that sounds SO MUCH like something that doesn't suck, but I can't put my finger on it! '333'? Seriously?

For some people it may just be all about the sound, but as someone who has worked on electronics more than he should have, and someone who knows how fun it is to develop little pedals (let alone massive tube amps of doom), I can't disrespect people who put so much into making something new by giving such a blatantly ripped-off failure the time of day. I'm cautious about spending money on most amps, since Mesa ripped off Soldano who ripped off Fender who ripped off (insert nonending string of bullshit here), but when there's clearly nothing but total disregard for even attempting to pretend to have done something new I wouldn't touch this with Bob Rock's hands.

Jeff

My 6260 doesn't sound like my 5150 or any of the other variants. I wouldn't have bought the 6260 if it sounded the same. It's voiced quite differently and sounds different in a good way. They more or less ripped off the visual aspect and the model name as an attempt to capitalize on peaveys success IMO. That still isn't good business practice by any means but they really are different amps. I highly doubt they would be available in North America if they actually shared the same schematic.

I highly doubt they would be available in North America if they actually shared the same schematic.

from what i understand, you can't copyright a circuit design...i might be wrong, but that's what i've heard. i think you can copyright the use of certain components - e.g. cuniberti using a custom transformer in the reamp, but the schematic itself is fair play

also, i would venture to say that two 5150s next to each other can sound as different as a 5150 and 6202

also, i would venture to say that two ANYTHINGSs next to each other can sound as different as an ANYTHING and ANYTHING REMOTELY SIMILAR

Spot on. Have a pint on me.

guinness.jpg

Jeff

also, i would venture to say that two ANYTHINGSs next to each other can sound as different as an ANYTHING and ANYTHING REMOTELY SIMILAR

Spot on. Have a pint on me.

guinness.jpg

Jeff

What I'm saying is that both amps with the same brand tubes, same settings, same cabinet, played with the same guitar and pickups by the same person do not sound very similar.

And if anything can sound like anything then why the hate Jeff? I'm almost certain the bugeras use a different tonestack design. They are voiced differently. Nobody has even seen the schematics for these amps so why not write bugera and find out before making assumptions? All I read are people steering others away from this amp when they haven't even played one themselves. It's always the same regurgitated "love to hate behringer" drivel about these amplifiers. Yes it's unbelievably lame they stole the front panel design from peavey to move units and it's also unfair to make people think they are actually getting a "to the schematic 5150 clone" when they are clearly not.

Whether it's a good product or not we all know this is routine behringer business practice. It's nothing new. And if it keeps you away from playing or purchasing one thats fine. It's good to have an opinion but I just don't feel it's right to possibly push others away from making their own decision. People are confused about these things on almost every forum. Stories of bad reliability etc... when I've seen 3-4 5150/6505 reliability issue threads on this forum alone in the last month alone along with at least one thread discussing engl problems. Tube amps are not efficient devices. They generate tons of heat and put the components under plenty of stress no matter who manufactures them. Tube amps need care and love just as a vehicle or anything else does.

I'm not here to defend these amps because I own one myself. It's not my favorite amp I own. 5150's ARE better but I would recommend this amp to anyone looking for another flavor of high gain goodness.

I'll admit when I heard about these amps I was skeptical as well and then I played one. They are great amps, so Metal Overlord: Yes I recommend them...but don't expect a 5150.

I just don't feel it's right to possibly push others away from making their own decision

in all fairness, i would say that spreading the word that behringer are a bunch of thieving bastards would count as giving them some necessary info to help them making their own decision. a lot of people like to pay for new, innovative, products, not some re-hashed and dumbed down version of something that's been around for well over a decade.

in all fairness, i would say that spreading the word that behringer are a bunch of thieving bastards would count as giving them some necessary info to help them making their own decision. a lot of people like to pay for new, innovative, products, not some re-hashed and dumbed down version of something that's been around for well over a decade.

If they were buying an amp that looks like a blatant peavey rip off regardless of sound I think they would be aware it's not anything new, although it is. Like I said the 6260 doesn't sound like my 5150.

I'm done defending a good sounding amp. I've done my part. Have fun!

i don't care what anyone says about these amps........they sound great. and i would recommend them to someone with small pockets. just like i love my behringer compressors, my A.R.T mic pres, my Samson 8 drumkit mic.
i got a lotta shit from gearslutz about my A.R.T mic pre and guy asked me why i stand by it....well here it is.....it was $49 and i replaced the tube with a $11 sovtek tube and it blew me away. he tried it and he stands by it too. back to the point, i just want my recordings to sound good regardless of what the gear looks like.

my 333 sounds great and of course is similar to the triplexxx (where it should come form) but it sounds different... well it has more mids, less fizzy in the top end.

Same here, I actually got to put mine up against a friend's XXX recently through the same Mesa cab that I have...my 333 sounded loads better TBH. The mid knob actually did something, the top-end wasn't as harsh and it was also less fizzy. The tonestack they use is definitely different...while the same basic voicing is kinda there...it's just better in the Bugera. This was both live and under a mic.

~006

I have about 10 or so Behringer pedals, and while some of them are just passable (Hi-Band Flanger), others are totally awesome (Chorus Space-C, Ultra Vibrato). Most of them are clones of discontinued Boss units. I put the UV300 against the ridiculously overpriced and overhyped Boss VB-2 and could find no difference that would warrant me paying the equivalent of 5 to 10 new Behr pedals for one used Boss, apart for snob appeal of course. I actually liked the Behr Vibrato better. Same goes for some of their Line 6 pedal clones. And their Sansamp ripoff.

It's very cool to rip on Behr in the business ethics department. Having grown up in the third world I can tell you though, in some eyes they're the Robin Hood of the musical instrument industry. Maybe selling Peavey knock offs at half price is not very noble, but at least they're putting tube amplification in the reach of most kids. 500 euros difference in price is a LOT of money in some places. And I don't think what they did to the Boss line is wrong at all. If Boss had any sense they would reissue the pedals that they are aware go for hefty chunks of money on ebay, instead of giving us yet another sad digital emulation.

Uli Behringer may be a villain to the staff of any major equipment manufacturer, but in these he's a hero ;)

In the end, that's one company you know will make your dollar go the extra mile. They sure aren't Gibson, who would do better to pool their greens into cutting costs and QC instead of sponsoring garbage like Rock of Love or something similarly absurd.

Well said brother.

If you check my posts you'll see that I've actually said that when I worked in the industry, we had no problems with Behringer business wise at all. They deliver on time, and we rarely had to replace anyones gear or refund their money.
Where I worked we stocked most of their gear, the PA range, their guitar range, studio units, desks, the lot. I tried their pedal range extensively, personally I didn't like any of them, and didn't think they compaired favourably to Boss units, although I agree that Boss stuff is pretty average and overpriced.
Behringer rack stuff on the other hand is great value, high quality sounds and very robustly built IMO. For what it would cost in Behringer pedals to have decent delay, reverb, chorus, flange, phase, tremelo, other filter and modulation effects, decent eq, you'd get far better sounding efects and much better value buying a couple of their rack units such as the V-Verb pro, Virtualizer pro, and the Modualizer pro. Any of these units can be picked up brand new off ebay for silly money, or bought in store for way less than a bunch of pedals. For EQ and sound enhancement, I've used both the Sonic Ultramizer (a BBE rip off) and the Ultrafex pro through guitar rigs and they sound awesome. Again they are very cheap, almost as little as a boss graphic EQ pedal.
As for the new Bugera tube amps, I don't see where nobility or ethics comes into it. They're awesome amps, I have a 333xl and love it, and I'm gonna get the 6262 very soon. If anything I think by introducing this range at the prices they have, I think they've shown that other companies need to look in the mirror. There's quite a lot of stuff out there these days thats "assembled" in China for next to nothing, yet still sold at high end prices.
And as for development, yes other more "reputable" companies may indeed have spent a lot of time and money developing certain products, but there are a lot of high end companies out there that haven't had an original thought in decades, yet charge a 4 figure sum for a 30 yr old design in a new box. I know a few amp techs and have had the odd Marshall modded over the years. Often the replacement of a few pots costing very little can totaly revoice an amp. A pre amp mod to produce some high gain on an old 70s matser volume tube head can be done for as little as £50 with just a few parts. I know a few guys at the Marshall factory, and I know for a fact when they developed the MF350 and the new JVM head they had a bunch of stuff stripped down on the benches in the R&D department. If you buy a JVM 410, you're getting a Marshall/Mesa hirbyd in a Marshall box. More often than not, when an established company brings out a new range, its usually a variation on somehting they already have rather than something radically new. Re tooling to punch out a new chasis and front panel on a machine, a few minor changes to already mass produced circut boards etc doesn't take a company to the cleaners. True, smaller "boutique" amp companies do take some big risks with new ranges, but we're not talking that kind of company here. Bugera have ripped off a well established design of a company that can stand the competition. I dare bet that if Bugera had stuffed their amps into a vintage looking leatherette covered box, with some original sounding model numbers, no one would have batted an eye lid, and everyone would be saying just how great they are for the cash. There may not have been much imagination gone into the aesthetics but I think it was dam clever none the less. Every metal head skint kid that wants the sound they hear on their fave albums is going to take a serious look at these amps because of the way they look and the market they are targetting. Any experienced company in this business that isn't aware that they can easily be ripped off, and isn't ready for it only has themselves to blame. Gibson and Fender learned a long time ago that about the only thing they can patent is their name. Companies have shamelessly and ruthlessly ripped them off, often outselling them on some products and have themselves become "household" names. I remember when Ibanez, ESP, Washburn were just Gibson and Fender rip offs. Back to amps, in the 1970s if you bought a Marshall JTM45, a Park 100, a Laney stagematser 100, a Carlsbro 100top, a Highwatt 100, you got the same amp. The parts were all made by the same electronic factories in Britain, the boxes were chucked together by the same wood shops. Copying is nothing new.
I've gone over the Bugera heads, had the back off, had the chasis out etc. I can't see where they've cut any corners in the construction or parts. They built like tanks, weigh a ton, contain industry standard parts, look good, very well finished. If they can do it at that price, the others can too.
Many would say you only get what you pay for. Working in the industry for many years I would say very often what you are paying for is a plastic badge on the front of something. Bugera are proving that decent tone does not have to be exclusively for those with the bucks to afford it, it can be produced on a budget.
And there are poor kids in the US, here in the UK, all over Europe, Australia etc that no matter how many hours they put in sweeping up at Mucky fkn dees, can only ever dream of owning a Mesa, Peavey, Diezal etc.

I bought a Behringer Cabinet some years ago and thought to myself: "Ok, when I have money I will get a good cab".
Nowadays I still keep on using that cabinet, there is no significant different with the ENGL cab (Celestion V30) and almost no different at all with a MESA, believe me or not. (I hope I can post some clips)
Well, perhaps some of the bat-eared users of this forum may notice the difference. You can have the best amp in the world and sound like shit because the guy on the board is a prick.

Last saturday we were supporting Axxis and the guy played with a Pod 2.0 and sounded awesome.

couple of 333xl clips through a MF400 cab.
Both just SM57, no eq etc when mixed.
Firts clip is the crunch channel with SD pickups. Second is the lead channel with EMG's.
I'll upload some lead and clean clips soon.

www.myspace.com/davefromfalmouth

Well... it sounds better than a JSX. Can't argue with that. Though it does still have that Bugera grain to it. Heard the same thing with many 6260 recordings.

You all must be deaf..... :puke:

Every piece of Behringer gear i own has basically fallen apart and or quit working not to mention sounded average at best. I owned the Behringer cab some time ago, it was horrible compared to others like Marshall or Mesa. I just don't see were you people get of saying its good. Yes its cheap and I'm guilty of using it but I by no means back them up for having great products at all......

I'm now buying a lot of things twice now, thanks to Behringer having such great products!!