Burzum - Belus (aka "Den Hvite Guden") (2010)

OK. I feel people just overreact to these things in both bad and good ways. You'll either like it or not. Not that difficult. Read the review on www.********* to explain my point. I know ANUS is not all that good of a site for reviews, but they hail Burzum on most of their reviews. The one I read just, basically, destroyed the album. If some think Varg rushed to get this work out, why then, are the same people rushing to write detailed reviews? Actively listen,and in time comment. That's all I'm saying man.

OK. I feel people just overreact to these things in both bad and good ways. You'll either like it or not. Not that difficult. Read the review on www.********* to explain my point. I know ANUS is not all that good of a site for reviews, but they hail Burzum on most of their reviews. The one I read just, basically, destroyed the album. If some think Varg rushed to get this work out, why then, are the same people rushing to write detailed reviews? Actively listen,and in time comment. That's all I'm saying man.

You do not own the internet, www.********* or this site, who gives you the right to tell us what we can or cannot post? All these are first impressions, you don't need to be a genius to realize that a good part of Belus is good music and some of the finest black metal written in a long time. If you disagree, then tell us why you disagree and we can have a proper argument, but I think it is safe to say that Belus is not a bad album at all.

And www.********* is a website for a bunch of falses, so who the **** cares about what they think? You should be ashamed for visiting that website in the first place.

These past few days i have been fighting the urge to download but i think im about ready to give in.

I definitely plan on giving this some serious listens though. Fuck ANUS!

So far the album is damn good. And I like the clean singing! I've read some idiots who are blasting the album say that he sounds like new mayhem with this release. Counting I've not bothered to listen to Mayhem in forever, I got Ordo ad Chao to see what this flagrant nincompoopery is about.

Ordo Ad Chao is actually pretty good, but new Burzum sounds NOTHING like it. You'd have to be an idiot to think that it does.

Belus is quite good, it's not great but I found myself really liking some songs and finding the rest pretty boring to listen to. Varg's growls and guitar playing has improved alot and even though his clean vocals are meh sounding, they fit the music quite well. Overall a good return to form, but not amazing.

I think his clean singing sounds perfect. For the context of his work, it suits it really well. Yeah, he's out of tune and realistically is an awful singer, but proper singing wouldn't work in Burzum anyway.

I think the album has grown overall on me since I wrote my quick review of it a few pages back. Not surprising since the review was more of a first impressions kind of thing. Im very happy it has grown on me because as I said I wasnt dissapointed but I wasnt happy about it before.

I dont know what to say about whoever saying Belus sounded like Mayhems "ordo ad chao". I love the latest Mayhem record but it sounds nothing like Belus.

I think his clean singing sounds perfect. For the context of his work, it suits it really well. Yeah, he's out of tune and realistically is an awful singer, but proper singing wouldn't work in Burzum anyway.

Uhm... It works in some places but when he's horribly out of tune it just doesnt sound good. Singing out of tune is never a good thing. Clean vocals done properly could easily fit into Burzum without being out of tune.

But his harsh vocals has improved by heaps and I actually think that his growls in Belus is some of the best growls I have heard in Black Metal. As someone wrote in his rateyourmusic review: "It doesn't sound like a parrot anymore, now it's an angry old man who's lived through countless winters, clinging to a small shelter on the edge of a cliff, and fighting off wolves. With, like, his bare hands".

And I hope TheInsane's opinion of Sverddans has improved, it's a killer song and the album's War, so I think he was being overly harsh on it.

And I hope TheInsane's opinion of Sverddans has improved, it's a killer song and the album's War, so I think he was being overly harsh on it.

I dont know. I actually play Belus right now and Sverddans just started playing. Its so misplaced. The chorus really sounds like a parody to me. I kind of enjoy the overaly melodic guitar work during the 3/4 of the song but not on a Burzum album. To me it just sounds so misplaced. For me Burzum should sound serious, emotional and atmospheric. Not comic like Sverddans sounds to my ears. I still think he never should have included that one on the album.

I've just started listening to this, not bad so far, seems like a bit of a stylistic departure for him though.