Burzum - Belus (aka "Den Hvite Guden") (2010)

to put it very basically i consider good art to be concerned with disclosing/romanticising/etc reality, and morality to be an evasion of reality. consistent with that is the idea that moralising is inherently detrimental to the success of works of art (and art criticism).

that's obviously just based on my own personal worldview, however i feel that it's a stance echoed by many great artists in their own ways and also reflected in history's judgments. even the lasting stuff with moral leanings tends not to have lasted because of its moral elements but rather in spite of.

to put it very basically i consider good art to be concerned with disclosing/romanticising/etc reality, and morality to be an evasion of reality.

I'm not sure if I agree that morality is an evasion of reality (whole other argument there); however, I do agree that good art should succeed in communicating a certain essence of reality. The problem arises from whether or not critics agree that a work is successful at doing so. I personally feel that by observing a work's tendency to influence and interact with other works throughout history we can assign a certain objective value to it.

that's obviously just based on my own personal worldview, however i feel that it's a stance echoed by many great artists in their own ways and also reflected in history's judgments. even the lasting stuff with moral leanings tends not to have lasted because of its moral elements but rather in spite of.

I agree with this as well. I'm sure that many critics today would disagree with Dante's moral decision to deny the Classical writers entry into Heaven; however, I don't believe that this detracts from the work's monumental importance in literary history.

same way I read it the first time: seems rather blanket and accusatory

What I was saying was that you're an idiot if you don't think you can possibly take into account morality when judging a work of art. And, well, you are an idiot if you think that. :p But what I wasn't saying was that you're an idiot if you can possibly think a racist work of art is good, or anything like that, which is what it seems you think I was saying. Whatever, it's not worth explaining, and I'm tired of justifying my posting style.

I'm looking forward to this album and I think all of Burzum's work is superb. Although I do agree that Varg is an idiot and don't agree with his views at all, I still respect the fact that everyone has their own views so I don't let it interfere with my appreciation of the music. I personally couldn't care less really, I'm not interested in religious or political beliefs at all but I find the mythology, history and otherworldly nature of Black Metal music in general the main things that appeal to me.

I wouldn't call Varg an idiot. I'd say he has some very outlandish controversial views that I wouldn't particularly agree with (at least not in the way he's expressing them). However, he does seem like he's a very intelligent individual who has a lot of knowledge of ancient history and a very emotionally powerful way of composition. His art has value to it, whether or not it stems from controversial views or not, and I have to say I am well looking forward to this long overdue Burzum album.

I wouldn't call Varg an idiot. I'd say he has some very outlandish controversial views that I wouldn't particularly agree with (at least not in the way he's expressing them). However, he does seem like he's a very intelligent individual who has a lot of knowledge of ancient history and a very emotionally powerful way of composition. His art has value to it, whether or not it stems from controversial views or not, and I have to say I am well looking forward to this long overdue Burzum album.
I worded that wrong (I should have thought about it before I posted it, bit of a rushed post). I don't think he's an idiot and I can see that he is a very intelligent person and entitled to his own views and beliefs and as you say, has a good knowledge of history and puts a great amount of work and effort into the music he creates. But his views are very outlandish and I just don't agree with them. But as I said, that never gets in the way of my opinion of the music, and I'm not some person that goes around shouting and bawling about him or any other Black Metal (or any music genre for that matter) bands/persons with controversial views.

Instead of calling people idiots because they don't conform to your views Dodens, why don't you just chill out instead of letting out your teenage angst because you live with your parents? Seriously, your posts are so aggravating to read because you come off as such a elitist my-way-or-the-highway snobby faggot..

Now go ahead and make some snarky well-structured remark that I'm going to enjoy laughing at

It's not 'my' way, it's just a simple basic fact about artistic evaluation. Either you are aware of the fact or you're not, and if you say that morality cannot possibly be relevant to artistic evaluation, then you are factually wrong.

It can, but I feel like the level to which it should affect someone's opinion necessarily varies person to person, given various factors such as how much stock a person even gives to such aesthetic factors as "morality", how moral or amoral the person is, etc.

I completely agree with you, and I put very little stock in it myself, depending on the context. I just have a problem with people claiming that it's not even a viable element to the equation.

I think the discussion of 'how moral' someone is/isn't is kind of silly. Too much of a variable. But the discussion of morality as a whole is definitely an important factor in artistic expression.

Well, if Varg thinks there is only fans who are visiting his site to read what he has to say. Then he forgets the ones who are there for cheap laughes:lol: He depicts himself as a very naive person in every statement his making.

I completely agree with you, and I put very little stock in it myself, depending on the context. I just have a problem with people claiming that it's not even a viable element to the equation.

Well, I guess we probably agree more than disagree anyway, then. Oh, and what I was saying that you "wat"ed at was that since morality can be such a big, vague variable, it isn't much more "useful" in a utilitarian sense to judge art than pure subjectivity is, such as an expression of "like" or "dislike".

I'm looking forward to it, if only because I'm curious to see what direction he'll take the new album.