Burzum- Hvis lyset tar oss

Laeth MacLaurie

New Metal Member
Aug 21, 2005
Whether one views him as an intentional genius, an idiot savant or even a media whore, it is hard to deny the creative legacy of Varg Vikernes and his artistic outlet, Burzum. Like a looming mountain range, shrouded in mist and legend, he has cast a dark and forboding shadow across the face, not only of black metal, but all subsequent extreme music. And, among those mountains, Hvis lyset tar oss stands as Everest, towering above all that came before it and dwarfing all that has passed since.

Metal, as a genre, has excelled beyond all modern forms of music in its passion for transcendence and its embrace of the epic spirit of the glorious past. But where most metal found the epic in grandiose gestures, pomp and circumstance, Hvis lyset tar oss wraps itself in the mystery of the Void, becoming metal's most sublime expression by reaching inward, into dream and memory, to find both eternal sorrow and joy in that which has been lost.

Hvis lyset tar oss is the suspension of time set to music. It is that simple. It is that complex. The infinite past is reimagined as the eternal future; the future is the endless present that never was. Nothing is hurried, nothing is forced. Four songs are stretched across 44 minutes, and while none lingers too long, all echo through the imagination long after they are finished, each unfolding naturally, in its own time. This is an album that entrances with through sheer grace; driven by deceptively simple, but gloriously beautiful melodies and harmonies whose motion is the purest of elegance, themes evolving so subtly that even the attentive listener is quickly enveloped without ever discovering quite why.

But the magic of Hvis lyset tar oss is as much about the space between sound as sound itself. The album opens with the dreamspace echoes of the intro to "Det som engang var," perhaps the greatest single masterpiece of metal ever produced, a song built of the controlled but explosive energy of longing and the almost unbearable weight of eternity condensed into its many contemplative pauses. It closes with the fading heartbeat and forlorn keyboard melody of "Tomhet," a prayer offered up to the darkness within, the very essence of its sound hinting at the crushing silence of the void without. In between, the title track and "Inn i slottet fra drømmen" seethe with rage against a world that has turned away from the beauty of its past and burn with hope for a rebirth of ancient wisdom.

Always, Hvis lyset tar oss is locked in struggle. Between silence and sound, despair and hope, defeat and victory. Struggles that do not and cannot end, but form the very basis of any life worth living or universe worth living in. This is its genius, and its curse, to pose the questions and wrestle with answers that never quite come.

10/10

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Four songs are stretched across 44 minutes

stretched being the key.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
The album opens with the dreamspace echoes of the intro to "Det som engang var," perhaps the greatest single masterpiece of metal ever produced, a song built of the controlled but explosive energy of longing and the almost unbearable weight of eternity condensed into its many contemplative pauses.

Killer song, although "greatest single masterpiece of metal ever produced" really doesn't need to be pointed out as being a total exaggeration of its quality.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
It closes with the fading heartbeat and forlorn keyboard melody of "Tomhet," a prayer offered up to the darkness within, the very essence of its sound hinting at the crushing silence of the void without.

And this is 1 of the 3 reasons the album achieves nothing but mediocrity. 14 minutes of uninteresting "ambience" which really goes no where and sounds like the end (or start) of the soundtrack to a b-grade 80's movie about a journey through fucking space. There is a rumour "Tohmet" translates to English as "dull", but perhaps I'm just reading what I want to read.

Call this review pretentious or over the top if you want, but this is easily as close as I've seen somebody get to capturing this album in words - well done.

Moon of Amber said:
Call this review pretentious or over the top if you want, but this is easily as close as I've seen somebody get to capturing this album in words - well done.
I'm pretty sure you're only saying that because you (not so secretly) want to make out with Falco

great review. Ultimatly, I think, words are futile against music this beautiful. Although the last three songs are great songs, I think the first song is on a completly different level, spiritual and personal, like the soul speaking or something. I agree that it is the single greatest metal song ever made, that I've heard. I am kind of a noob though, so that doesn't say much.

Yeah decent review but I wonder if I'm the only one who gets annoyed by nonsensical pseudo-profundity like this

Laeth MacLaurie said:
It is that simple. It is that complex. The infinite past is reimagined as the eternal future; the future is the endless present that never was.

and this

Between silence and sound, despair and hope, defeat and victory.

Cythraul said:
Yeah decent review but I wonder if I'm the only one who gets annoyed by nonsensical pseudo-profundity like this

and this

It's pretty straightforward, it's not my fault you're not all that bright.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
It's pretty straightforward, it's not my fault you're not all that bright.

Are you fucking kidding me? Maybe it's straightforward in your own private world but last time I checked language was a public phenomenon. If something doesn't make sense or is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand (the music in this instance), then that's just the way it fucking is, cocksucker.

Funny how "straightforward" and "nonsensical" are antonyms like that.

The review is most certainly pretentious, although understandably so given the gravity of the album it is decribing. I regret to say, however, that the review ultimately falls short because I am left with no tangible idea of what the album actually sounds like, only the stunning awe of the listener. And since awe is so subjective it hurts, the praise comes off as fanboyism, and unfortunately, pseudo-profundity, because there is no source of the mindblowing genius behind the album. The genius is mentioned, but what exactly.

And the standard answers are "It's obvious" or "Listen to it album and you'll understand" or "It's beyond words".

Constructive criticism, nothing more.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Funny how "straightforward" and "nonsensical" are antonyms like that.

The review is most certainly pretentious, although understandably so given the gravity of the album it is decribing. I regret to say, however, that the review ultimately falls short because I am left with no tangible idea of what the album actually sounds like, only the stunning awe of the listener. And since awe is so subjective it hurts, the praise comes off as fanboyism, and unfortunately, pseudo-profundity, because there is no source of the mindblowing genius behind the album. The genius is mentioned, but what exactly.

And the standard answers are "It's obvious" or "Listen to it album and you'll understand" or "It's beyond words".

Constructive criticism, nothing more.

Yet again, your own pathetic obsession with the most superficial level of art (the aesthetic) prevents you from getting it. The real concern of any worthwhile review is not something so silly as what a band "sounds like" (everyone already knows the answer to that question), but rather with the conceptual, psychological and ideological nature of the work, that is, WITH THE ARTISTRY. Sound is just window dressing, and your obsession with it completely misses the point and profundity -- both of Burzum and the review.

Cythraul said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Maybe it's straightforward in your own private world but last time I checked language was a public phenomenon. If something doesn't make sense or is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand (the music in this instance), then that's just the way it fucking is, cocksucker.

You are in the same boat as Nick, caught up in a superficial obsession with outer form, with the mere sound of music rather than what is actually significant, which is its conceptual basis (that is, the art behind the "sound"). Virtually everyone worth reaching has already heard Burzum's work, it is the conceptual matrix underlying it which is the source of its genius and which most people are less prepared to apprehend directly (and thus need the guidance of a review).

It is not my fault that you are looking in the wrong direction, so to speak.

Maybe I'm wrong, but those who immediately pick at Morney's reviews for not making obvious sense seem to be doing so at least partially for emotional reasons (Cythraul's almost sexual hatred of Morney's crew is well documented) - there are so many universally respected pieces of literature which are far more full of such complexities and ambiguities, and there's a certain enjoyment to be found in thinking about them. "But this is a fucking review!" I hear you cry. 'Tis, you're right, but I find it slightly odd that people seem so disgusted when they're forced to put some thought into analysing an analysis, with art such things tend to be necessary in all fields - if there's a complex idea, complex phrases will have to be used to analyse it (or even put it into words where music's concerned). Regardless, I tend to see Morney's reviews as an expression of an interpretation rather than an attempt at stripping down a piece into a workable definition, and why not? The latter has been attempted to death, particularly with albums this well known, and to be quite frank it tells you fuck all that isn't right in front of your ears.

I agree that it's the best song in metal. Nightshade Forests, Travelling Through Chaos and The Break of Autumn are perhaps the closest to my ears along with track 2 of this album, but Det Som... has always been a class apart.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Yes, but you're a confirmed fag, so no one really cares.

i wish you wouldn't make our private life public.

anyway, welcome to the world of people disagreeing with you. do you really find it necessary to post every time someone doesn't praise your reviews? BUT LYK OMGAWD MAEN! WHAT ABOUT MAH INTRAWEB CRED!

p.s. it's "emptiness"

as in "this song is empty / there is nothing to this song"? awesome, so i was partially right.