Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

Avgrund said:
Keep the posers out please.

What the fuck? How am I a poser just because I haven't heard Burzum(now I have). I own Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, I really like it and think it's one of the best black metal albums ever released. I happen to think the production is horrible or is that too poser-ish for you. I like my music albiet polished so I can actually hear it without putting up with shitty tone. Emperor stomps all over Burzum.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
I happen to think the production is horrible or is that too poser-ish for you. I like my music albiet polished so I can actually hear it without putting up with shitty tone. Emperor stomps all over Burzum.
The production is a definate plus on the album. I could NEVER see it recorded in any way better. Also: although I'm a very big Emperor fan, they really can't compare to Burzum in it's (his) prime.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Well, that's my favourite Emperor album ever. But what's so wrong with the other 2?
Boring, meandering, pretentious, directionless, structureless, superficial, lack of atmosphere, cheesy...should I continue?

Disregarding the demos, In The Nightside Eclipse is definitely Emperor's only real black metal release, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying the rest of their discography.

INF said:
Yea, i love Det Som En Gang Var, but i think the rest of the album is not over average.
In fact i think Det Som Engang Var is not above average but the rest of the album is great!
I think the album gets better from the beginning to the end.
But everyone here seems to love that song...

I am a fan of Filosofem.

And to the guy who says emperor stomps all over burzum... they are totally different ways of looking at black metal. emperor is more romantic period type stuff and burzum is ambient/minimallism like the original poster said... and have you heard Wrath of the Tyrant? that cd has poor sound quality... sound quality isn't everything in black metal.. in fact.. it can get annoying if they have really good quality cause it actually takes away from the feel and emotion of the music in my opinion.. compare the new dimmu to for all tid and stormblast for example.. the new stuff just comes across as dry to me, but for all tid... mmm

When I said Emperor's production was 'worse', I meant 'worse'. Not 'grimmer'. Not 'truer'. Worse. It sounds like shit and it takes away some of the enjoyment I would otherwise have gained.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Boring, meandering, pretentious, directionless, structureless, superficial, lack of atmosphere, cheesy...should I continue?
Wow, aren't you smart. You use a lot of big words like meandering and superficial. Too bad you have no idea what those words mean. Please explain how Anthems and Prometheus are structureless, superficial, meandering or how they lack atmosphere. I can see Prometheus might be lacking in atmosphere but I think Anthems has plenty of it. It's just a faster, more agressive record than Nightside. As far as I'm concerned the musicianship on each Emperor album gets progressively better after Nightside. I'm glad that Emperor chose to develop a more unique style rather than continuing to sing about how dark and cold the forests in Norway are at night.