Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

It's chaotic without being coherent. There are meandering passages which seem to be there for the sake of it. There is no real purpose or direction, just riffs pasted together a lot of the time. There's the odd good riff, but when you place a good riff in between two over-the-top cheesy ones, it doesn't sound so great. The synth/keyboards are just irritating, not even remotely atmospheric. Clean vocals - ditto.

Guardian of Darkness said:
It's chaotic without being coherent. There are meandering passages which seem to be there for the sake of it. There is no real purpose or direction, just riffs pasted together a lot of the time. There's the odd good riff, but when you place a good riff in between two over-the-top cheesy ones, it doesn't sound so great. The synth/keyboards are just irritating, not even remotely atmospheric. Clean vocals - ditto.
Give an example of what you mean. Which parts of which songs? As far as I'm concerned, the composition on Anthems is a great example of dissonance/consonance and tension/release, i.e. dissonant riffs creating tension and reaching climax with riffs that use more ordinary diatonic harmony. And "chaotic without being coherent"? Chaotic- confused; completely disordered. Coherent- logically connected; consistent. There's no such thing as coherent chaos.

Give an example of what you mean. Which parts of which songs? As far as I'm concerned, the composition on Anthems is a great example of dissonance/consonance and tension/release, i.e. dissonant riffs creating tension and reaching climax with riffs that use more ordinary diatonic harmony.
To me it sounds like the riffs are pasted together. Even earlier albums are guilty of this. Regardless of this, it's just dull and predictable 2/3 note blasting guitar riffing mixed with cheesy keyboards and pointless tempo changes. The melodies are often obvious attempts to appeal to a more mainstream audience. The cheesiness and the lack of structure and atmosphere means that the music doesn't express the emotion which Emperor aimed for. Some (not many) parts are aesthetically sound, but the emotion isn't there. They're impressive technically, but if one wants technical ability they'll listen to jazz.

And "chaotic without being coherent"? Chaotic- confused; completely disordered. Coherent- logically connected; consistent. There's no such thing as coherent chaos.
The structure of the music can still have coherence while being chaotic - or rather, an effective balance between the two. See the first half of "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" for details.

Well I can see where you're coming from but they don't sound cheesy to me...as well alot of Power Metal and other synth filled Black Metal... The riffs don't really sound stuck together, I think the riffs in Prometheus fit really well, but the worst thing in Prometheus is sometimes one main riff can be evident through out, with the help of the other instruments and orchestration adding layers to make it sound different it still sounds a little bland but still seems to fit.

Emperor are sometimes very predictable, I agree with this but sometimes they come up with absurdly technical riffs that just blow my mind in the middle of the song. How can you say the emotion isn't there? There's alot of emotion in Emperor which makes it so good, the operatic vocals while not that good just provides a sheer sense of perseverance. It's insane. Trym is one of my favourite metal drummers ever and his drumming is crazy.

I like technical music, I like music with innovation. While Emperor aren't innovative, Ihsahn's sense of melody is unbeatable and to see him play such technical music without even looking at his fretboard live, sends shudders down my spine. Of course alot of other metal bands have guitar/vocalists but Emperor just seems to do it for me. But in the end it's just a matter of opinion...I still don't see how Anthems and Prometheus isn't black metal but even if they aren't I still enjoy them.

To me it sounds like the riffs are pasted together. Even earlier albums are guilty of this. Regardless of this, it's just dull and predictable 2/3 note blasting guitar riffing mixed with cheesy keyboards and pointless tempo changes. The melodies are often obvious attempts to appeal to a more mainstream audience. The cheesiness and the lack of structure and atmosphere means that the music doesn't express the emotion which Emperor aimed for. Some (not many) parts are aesthetically sound, but the emotion isn't there. They're impressive technically, but if one wants technical ability they'll listen to jazz.
The melodies are not attempts to appeal to a more mainstream audience. They're simply creating a different feeling on that album by using a more varied harmonic scope. Anthems can never in any way be mainstream. Riffs pasted together? I can maybe sense that at some points but it doesn't characterise the entire album. I don't see how their tempo changes are pointless. I guess you just enjoy music that lacks creativity and dynamics.

The structure of the music can still have coherence while being chaotic - or rather, an effective balance between the two. See the first half of "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness" for details.
Well if that's how you would define "chaos with coherence" then I believe that Anthems has this quality. Anyway, I'm done arguing about Emperor. Guardian, you can never convince me that you're right about this. I don't think you have the knowledge or authority to speak on such matters no matter how much you try to make yourself seem knowledgable and qualified.

Of course, a person needs to be a doctor of musical arts to discuss the complexity, the brilliance, the sheer genius that is Emperor.

I hate to break it to you all, but "Anthems.." isn't technical.

Demiurge said:
Of course, a person needs to be a doctor of musical arts to discuss the complexity, the brilliance, the sheer genius that is Emperor.

I hate to break it to you all, but "Anthems.." isn't technical.
Agreed, Anthems isn't technical but it is very musically inventive at many points.

Yes, because more melodic = more mainstream. :err:
Wrong. Melody is an essential part of most forms of music. It just depends on whether or not the melodic content is derived from traditional major/minor scales or tonalities that deviate from the traditional diatonic scales. Think about it: there's a pretty big difference between the way melody is presented in the music of Beethoven or Bach for instance and the way it is presented in pop music. Both classical music and pop rely heavily on the traditional scales. However, most classical music is neither catchy nor accessible. More "melodic" does not always=more mainstream.

Ahhh. I thought he was just not making sense, hehe. I'm sure there should be an 'a' in the quote somewhere though, still.

Family Guy > The Simpsons.

Indeed, which is why I'm going to watch Road to Rhode Island right now.

Ahhh. I thought he was just not making sense, hehe. I'm sure there should be an 'a' in the quote somewhere though, still.

Family Guy > The Simpsons.
Please, I love the Family Guy alot but the simpsons have been around 5 times as long and more classic episodes than the family guy. It is very close but the Simpsons in the superior show.

The Simpsons is tame in comparison, methinks. I used to worship it though, and I do still enjoy watching it. There were a few brilliant episodes.