BURZUM- what's a good album to start with?

Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Det Som Engang Var and Filosofem are the masterpieces. Take your pick. I'd perhaps recommend Hvis... as the best one to start with.

I enjoy getting the earliest release and moving through the discography from the beginning. This allows you to see the progression of his works and how certain ideas matured, eventually reaching perfection in some areas.

i bought hlidskjalf, as it was the only one they had at my local record store.

does all of the stuff sound like this? because i do not like this CD.

i'm still willing to check out the albums mentioned here, so long as they dont sound like this one.

zombie havoc said:

does all of the stuff sound like this? because i do not like this CD.

i'm still willing to check out the albums mentioned here, so long as they dont sound like this one.

Hlidskjalf and Daudi Baldrs are Burzum's only all-synth albums. Personally, I thought the music I heard off them is pretty good, but it's most certainly not black metal, unlike his other 5 albums. I'd personally recommend you get Hvis Lyset Tar Oss first, but really, you can't go wrong with any of his albums.

You should always research a CD before buying :p.

Burzum is a very special band. Their music is extreemly dense and complex, but at the same time, ubelivably miniamlistic. Personally I would say that Det Som Engang Var is the easiest Burzum album to get into. Songs like the title track off Hvis... or Rudgang... off of Filosoem take many listens to truly understand. I've been listening to Burzum daily for about two or three months now and I still feel like some of the songs havn't completly revealed themselves to me. However Det Som... is far more straight forward then the others, so I sugest you start there. After that take your choice between Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, all three are about equal in brillance, I still can't pick a favorite. Save the debut and the keyboard albums for later....

zombie havoc said:

Admittedly, i didnt like this one bit when i bought it. But, once you really get into the 'metal' Burzum stuff then come back to it (as i did) you should (hopefully) appreciate and enjoy it. I just bought Daudi Baldrs today, i've yet to here it.

If you are going to download some first, definitely start with the song,'Det Som En Gang Var'. It's on the album Hvis, arguably his greatest song and further arguably the best bm song ever. I further recommend starting with this album or the debut album, Burzum. I would say the debut album is closer to other bm that you may have heard. It's not as minimalistic in terms of riffs, few bm bands are as minimalistic as his latter albums.

bottom line: It seems most (including myself) are recommending, Hvis as a good place to start.