Burzum's Artwork

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Does anyone know the name of the artist who does the artwork for "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Filosofem"? I really love this guys stuff. Someone told me he was some medeval artist from Norway, but I forget his name. Anyone know?

crimsonfloyd said:
Does anyone know the name of the artist who does the artwork for "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Filosofem"? I really love this guys stuff. Someone told me he was some medeval artist from Norway, but I forget his name. Anyone know?
Yeah me too. Although Hvis Lyset Tar is Oss is my next favourite Burzum album so i may be a little biased.

I had a fresh gander at me new Burzum albums and I must admit, the artwork is truly spectacular and eerie, matched wonderfully with the music.....and haunting. The dramatic and involving scene on the cover of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is thoroughly unsettling. Has anyone else noticed that the crows in the picture are flying away from the corpse they were evidently just picking-at, and the reason is because they were disturbed by the person who has just approached, that is, you, or whoever the stranger is who's viewpoint the scene is drawn from. It's an obvious inference, but one I can imagine not everyone makes. If not, quite startling huh? It removes all the loneliness from the scene, and turns the desolation of the anonymous corpse into a personally encumberant mystery. The unknown identity of the stranger who's viewpoint we see the scene through adds a scary, ghostlike dimension to it.

I'm rambling. I'm sorry, I was just completely enthralled today when I appreciated the cover properly for the first time. =)

We have a huge book (A3 format) with lots of pictures by Theodor Kittelsen at home. I remember I used to look at the pictures as a kid, and it gave me terrible nightmares. Still, I couldn't resist looking at the pictures, and I don't really know why. His pictures are brilliant, and very eerie.

Edit: The frontcover of "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is actually taken from the Black Death series, and is called "Fattigmanden" (The Poor Man).

Edit 2: WOW! Taken from the information page that Erik linked to: In 1912 he purchased a property at Jeløya near Moss.

That's where I live! It's my hometown! Ace! Today, Jeløya is an integrated part of Moss, which has 25 000 inhabitants. A quite small city, in other words. Cool coincidence!

I'm sitting with the book on my lap now - it's been ages since the last time. Thanks to this thread, I can again marvel at these incredible works.

The book is quite old, and has belonged to my family for quite a while. It's called "Troldskap", is in A3 format, and has an almost all blue cover. Sadly, no information such as the year it was released is available. The only clue is a small print at one of the first pages saying "H Aschehoug & COs Forlag, Kristiania". Aschehoug is a quite famous "book company" (don't know the correct word for it, but I guess you get the picture). If I had to guess, I'd say that this book is from the 1950s, or even before that. I can ask my father about it. The book is full of pictures and poems that suit the pictures. Brilliant stuff.

Fucking awesome artwork.

The Woodpecker?

hakkespett.gif