BY OUR POWERS COMBINED....

Rivfadír;6930870 said:
WHAT THE FUCK CAIT!?
GET THE FUCK ON IT! And get those albums. How can you live with yourself not owning those?

I KNOW. I cry myself to sleep every night. They're my two favourite albums but I just don't have a debit card to buy them online and stuff. I might convince one of men in my harem to buy it for me instead.

Close to Europe? You don't consider yourself a part of Europe? Too good for us are you? :)

Oh shush you. I just meant compared to somewhere like America, considering I was going to move there. The only thing stopping me is that it's just so far away from everything I love. <3

Most Irish people see themselves as being from Europe but not europeans... if that makes an sense :lol:

Most Irish people see themselves as being from Europe but not europeans... if that makes an sense :lol:

I think that's the case for all of Great Britain and stuff. I think it's mostly just because we live on an Island a little less connected from the mainland. Also I'd complaining about it being because the English language but I'm rather drunk and not sure what I'm talking about right now.

Also me, Owen and Amy are 100% going to Norway now, we're booking our tickets in a week or two. *shakes fist at Asgeir*

Portland, Oregon.
Also it was because my (now ex) boyfriend was from there.

Portland is a beautiful place, and has a good public transportation system to boot! I'm going down there later this month to see friends, go boot shopping, enjoy NO SALES TAX ON ANYTHING yay Oregon, and see Rotting Christ and co. in concert :headbang:

NO SALES TAX ON ANYTHING

NO SALES TAX ON ANYTHING

WTF

Yes. The State of Oregon has no Sales tax. Instead, they have an extremely high Income and Property taxes.

Ironically, the State of Washington, directly to the north (and where I live), is exactly the opposite - they have no Income tax, but a high Sales tax, as well as a very high Property tax. (We also have high 'sin' taxes on cigs, booze, and the like, and also a high gas tax.) Most states, which are not run by the purely batshit insane, have a combination of both.

If you want to game the system and pay barely any taxes at all, live in Portland, OR and work in Vancouver, WA, which is 2 miles away :lol:.

And that concludes US Tax Laws 101 on the Borknagar Forum :) And now, back to our regularly scheduled Asgeir posts!

I think that's the case for all of Great Britain and stuff. I think it's mostly just because we live on an Island a little less connected from the mainland. Also I'd complaining about it being because the English language but I'm rather drunk and not sure what I'm talking about right now.
I don't think it's anything to do with the english. It's more to do with the fact that we're on the most west point, and not connected to europe like most other countries.

I don't think it's anything to do with the english. It's more to do with the fact that we're on the most west point, and not connected to europe like most other countries.

Also I feel we lack a certain connection with most Countries in Europe, in regards to culture and language (yes I know the basic structure of English is Germanic but the amount of different influences just makes it so unqiue compared to most European countries). And don't forget our brown nosing of USA.

Since I seem to have made this entire thread my own personal little home; I must say, I'm thinking of investing in a drum kit. I was told I'm pretty good in regards to rhythm and what not, and I heard it'd easy to learn but hard to 'master'. So what do you think? I might just buy a cheap second hand one to practise on, but it'll be interesting to try out considering I found the guitar and keyboard boring.

You're just trying to impress Asgeir aren't you? :p

Just kidding, go for it. About it being easy to learn and hard to master, I find it to be very true.

Oh of course, but who wouldn't want to try and impress Asgeir? I'd imagine he'd discourage me from taking up drumming though because he knows I'll be better than him ;)

I was always told I'd be good at playing the Drums from an early age but I never really took much notice because as a child drumming didn't seem to play a vital role in the music I listened to (pop music/classical etc). I really wanted to learnt he violin as a child but my teachers wouldn't let me because I apparently wasn't very "musical" and I couldn't afford private lessons (story of my life) What pissed me off the most is that the ones who did get to learn the Violin gave it up the second they left school, I hate them with such a strong passion, they took up something I would have killed to have learned and didn't appreciate it one bit.

I'd complain that my only problem with drums is that it's hard to compose music with, but I tend to use my keyboard for that mostly anyway. I've composed so many songs it's insane, but I have no one with an interest in the more progressive/post-black metal living near me to take part in my work. It's the exact same thing I have with painting, just no one cares, no one takes any form of interest in it. I guess it just hurts me more than usual because I live my life trying to make everyone else happy, and they're never happy with anything I do.

Okay enough ranting from me <3

Damn I wish I lived near you. I need a keyboardist. I find post black very hard to write though.

Always the way. We could make music through the internet but I don't have the knowledge. I'm probably sounding arrogant by saying I can compose "post-black metal" music, I just kind of write down lyrics that have a strong personal feeling for me and then make music based around them, and I personally feel they have a very Arcturus/Borknagar sound to them. But as I said, I think that's just arrogance, I have a habit of thinking I'm better than I am and doing things, later to find out I am incredibly shit (for example that CD cover I designed and posted on the net last night, 24 hours later and I hate it already).

I was supposed to work on playing Bass to join some local Thrash Metal band (they were awesome because they reminded me of this sweet mixture of Testament and Sabbat) but I got a bit lazy and never bothered buying a new bass, and I haven't heard anything from them for some time, booooooo.

Although, I do have this random progressive metal band from the Netherlands asking me to do vocals for them. I just need the confidence really, I really don't know if I'm any good or bad to be honest. Kazaum heard me sing in Germany a few times, I do recall sitting in Lubeck's airport with him singing Till Fjalls and Colossus at the top of my lungs, surely he can remember how awful I am? :p

Always the way. We could make music through the internet but I don't have the knowledge.

Ahh well, I should have my bands myspace up either this month or next month. All of the members are doing stuff through the net since the other vocalist and guitarist lives in Jersey. I wanted to do a mix of folk metal and the prog/post black thing. If it turns out not to be completely horrible I'd love to work with ya through teh interwebs if you ever figure out how. :)

And that arrogance thing goes for me too, I suck. In fact today was my first day recording death vocals how horrible are they? :erk:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4cwxbgohzid

Ahh well, I should have my bands myspace up either this month or next month. All of the members are doing stuff through the net since the other vocalist and guitarist lives in Jersey. I wanted to do a mix of folk metal and the prog/post black thing. If it turns out not to be completely horrible I'd love to work with ya through teh interwebs if you ever figure out how. :)

And that arrogance thing goes for me too, I suck. In fact today was my first day recording death vocals how horrible are they? :erk:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4cwxbgohzid

Your vocals are pretty awesome, I like them a lot, they have a fairly unique sound to them without being incredibly annoying (lol alexi laiho). If you know what I mean?

My problem with my vocals is I try to be too much like male vocalists, my inspirations being Borknagar's vocalists (yes including Lars<3 ). I just get very disappointed and discouraged when I don't sound exactly like them. I remember doing a cover of Arcturus - Demon Painter and the only person who ever heard it was my ex boyfriend, while he said it was amazing, I was incredibly ashamed and unsure, because you know how partners can be, they give you support at the most inappropriate moments. (I'd rather have a partner who told me I looked like a fucking whale if I asked if my ass looked big in a dress).

So I'm just not entirely sure if I'm any good or he was just being nice to me. Ugh. I hate being so paranoid.

It's also political... for most the late 19th and 20th century, Britain was not only in decline relative to other great powers, but also at a loss with what to do with the continent. During both world wars, it was their Atlantic connection with the United States that really saved them from collapse, and some British politicians, especially Winston Chruchill, believed that Britain's future had to be wedded to that of the U.S. in order to preserve British power in some form. This strategy has held up until today... look how Blair followed that moron Bush into Iraq on principle alone...

It also didn't help that in retribution for choosing their special relationship with the U.S. over Europe early on in the postwar period, de Gaulle punished the British by keeping them at an arm's length from integration schemes on the continent. It wasn't until 1973 that the Brits were allowed into the EEC (basically the proto-EU).

Sorry for being boring. Back to Asgeir!