Why I really respect Borknagar

TravisW

Jul 24, 2002
Fargo, ND USA
Visit site
Okay, in a sense I can kind of relate to the Borknagar guys. We are all about the same age, from similar cultural backgrounds, and similar musical interests. That said, they have the balls to do exactly what they want to do. There are two types of musicians; those who work their asses off trying to make a living just in the music business, and those who will work relentlessly at non-music-related stuff just so they can stay true to their vision.

The Borkis fall largely into the latter group. Even though there are side projects on top of side projects, in no case do any of them try to pander in order to secure a music career. That both impresses and inspires me. It inspires me to keep on creating my own music, even though the chance that I have any sort of real music career is incredibly slim. Why? For the art of it. Plus, there is no compromise for me. If I'm not signed to a huge label, it doesn't matter---that's not my bread and butter. So, Oystein, Lars, Asgeir, Mr. V., if you read this, just accept my gratitude for helping keep the fire lit for a 28-year-old married musician who has a great career ahead of him in some field that isn't likely music, but can hopefully create something enjoyable.

God bless,
Travis

asgeir said:
You know, miracles DO happen. Just look at Nightwish............

- Asgeir
Heck, I'm happy with miracles like finding an enthusiastic drummer in Fargo, ND who wants to play. Had a first band "practice" last night to see how things would go. We jammed on Children of the Sea by Sabbath, Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth, and it was pretty fun.

Now, the nightmare of naming the friggin' thing. :erk: I hate thinking of bandnames---it always winds up being something stupid like "Harley Guskjolen and the Gay Farmers". Okay, not that stupid, but pretty stupid.

ah, I think it is a sad thing to hear that you have resigned yourself to never "make it" in the music business. it's true that here in America, you are either in a cover band or a clone trend band that is hoping to appeal to the mainstream. but our mainstream is different here than it is in Norway, Sweden and Finland...didn't Dimmu win some kind of grammy over there and didn't Epic debut on some music chart!!?? plus, they have more of a defined culture than america--methinks..america is some kind of a huge mixture of everything and at the same time has made culture become meaningless...and so is american music...america has ripped off everything Northern europe has to offer..in about 5-10 years there will be many Borknagar clones here..I wonder if they will write lyrics about Norway..hehe..or will it be about tobacco fields, fast food and tv?

dia_hain said:
ah, I think it is a sad thing to hear that you have resigned yourself to never "make it" in the music business.
I think it's more realistic than sad. The band I'm starting now is going to be a combo of covers and originals. I'd like to get to the point of recording, possibly doing some sort of release, but I'm not going to entertain rockstar fantasies. Actually, to me "making it" really would mean writing satisfying music, and somebody out there actually giving a shit about it.

TravisW said:
I think it's more realistic than sad. The band I'm starting now is going to be a combo of covers and originals. I'd like to get to the point of recording, possibly doing some sort of release, but I'm not going to entertain rockstar fantasies. Actually, to me "making it" really would mean writing satisfying music, and somebody out there actually giving a shit about it.

None truer words spoken...

Actually there is ONE band from sweden that I think some parts sound like borknagar, or more like remind me of borknagar..that would be manegarm.

Yeah since borknagar will never play the USA again, i'm up for a cover band :D

ahh.....sorry for the uninvited apperance but everytime i hear borknagar without ICS Vortex i flinch :( i wish it would change soon.....but i miss him. i totaly understand what you'r saying about borknagar..but unfortunatlu i take it just for The Archaic Curse and Quintessence.....

Cereal Killer said:
ahh.....sorry for the uninvited apperance but everytime i hear borknagar without ICS Vortex i flinch :( i wish it would change soon.....but i miss him. i totaly understand what you'r saying about borknagar..but unfortunatlu i take it just for The Archaic Curse and Quintessence.....

We have started a new group dedicated to the career of Vortex..

http://groups.myspace.com/simen

Yeah, Vortex rules!

I've had an owerwhelming musical experience with Borknagar these days, mainly with "Future Reminiscence" and "Inherit The Earth". Few songs have before been able of transforming me into a state of emotion THAT melancholic. I will in the next days listen deeper in this extraordinary, unique band.

np: Allvaters Zorn - Erwachet

There were few releases this year that interested me, and on the top of those that did was Epic. I was not disappointed, though it was harder to swallow that any previous Bork cd. I respect them for being creative, original and walking their own path. And also for being quite a decent musicans :)