C# tuning?

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Anyone who plays with a C# tuning instead of regular E tuning on your guitar?
Is it possible to play songs in that tuning in a band? Because my singing voice fits that tuning perfectly...

Yes indeed, I believe Pantera, In Flames, and A number of other bands do so, If the guitarist has heavy enough strings it should be fine.
I've tried it myself, but personally, I don't like my guitar tuned too low. Only on ocassion.

Works pretty well as long as you have some higher gague strings, i have a 7-string guitar with the B tuned to a C#, and it works really well for me, I can also get really high notes then as well as the really low bottom notes.

Good...because it would suck if my voice had the wrong tuning :loco: ...It feels great to sing C# and I can reach the highest notes. What strings should i buy to my guitar? any suggestions would be great because I have no clue at all...

What tuning do you guys prefer?

I'm currently in C#, have been for a couple of months (I usually stay in D). My Dying Bride and Bolt Thrower use C# (which is why I'm in that tuning at the moment, playing along with their stuff), as do many other bands. I use 10-46 gauge (I think, I can never remember the high one. All I ask for in the shop is a pack of 10's, the yellow pack ;)). I actually quite like it. I went down to B to figure out an EOS song, but that was too far, no definition to the notes (fret buzz and all that...). I've written a few cool riffs while in C#, it's got quite a nice feel to it.

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I'm currently in C#, have been for a couple of months (I usually stay in D). My Dying Bride and Bolt Thrower use C# (which is why I'm in that tuning at the moment, playing along with their stuff), as do many other bands. I use 10-46 gauge (I think, I can never remember the high one. All I ask for in the shop is a pack of 10's, the yellow pack ;)). I actually quite like it. I went down to B to figure out an EOS song, but that was too far, no definition to the notes (fret buzz and all that...). I've written a few cool riffs while in C#, it's got quite a nice feel to it.

Holy Goddamn shit! You tune that low with 046 strings? Wow, those strings must fall all around the neck!:lol: I use 056 in E, though I admit that the best feel lies using those srings down a whole step.

@Risefromthedead: The guage is the thickness of the strings, the 046 he refers to the thickness in (millimetres right?) of the strings, all packs are labelled telling you the thickness of the strings. At least all packs I've seen! I'd suggest around .052-012 or something close for tuning that low. It'll give you a lot more clarity.

Not a stupid question! :)
Gauge refers to string thickness/tension (the thicker the string, the more tension it requires to get to a certain pitch). So the high E string (in standard tuning) is gauge 10, the bass E string is 46 gauge. You can get all kinds of different gauge strings, depending on what tension, feel, or sound you want (if you are tuning low, a higher gauge, such as 10 or 11 for the top string is a good idea. 9 would be too low,it would flap around).

Did that answer the question?

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
Holy Goddamn shit! You tune that low with 046 strings? Wow, those strings must fall all around the neck!:lol:
It seems to work, I like the result. The Floyd Rose tends to help with the tension, I think :D And I usually stay in D, I didn't plan to be in C# for as long as I have been, so I didn't consider re-stringing.......

I'm probably gonna keep my guitar tuned to Eb permanently since my band's singer is more comfortable with that tuning. Although is it ok to do it since it has a Floyd Rose tremolo? Do I have to get the truss rod adjusted first or something? I'm a dumbass when it comes to the mechanical aspects of a guitar so... :(

Me too :D If you are tuning down, you'll need to loosen off the screws at the back that hold the bridge to the guitar (so that the springs apply less tension, thereby balancing out the tension that is applied by the strings. There are probably some other issues (such as intonation, which may be affected, and a change in tension can distort the neck, which is where the truss rod would come in), but if they don't bother you don't worry about it. I tend to bounce around a whole bunch of tunings (anywhere from E to B, I even went to A# once for some old Bolt Thrower), because I like figuring stuff out, and my intonation is a bit screwed at the moment, it needs fixing. But it's taken 5 years for it to get like this, if you stay in one tuning it'll be ok....

Originally posted by Opethfan1980
Supposedly Type O Negative plays six string guitars tuned to "B" I don't belive it myself.

that's true. so does soilwork, at the gates, arch enemy (pre-gossow) and i'm pretty sure alot of other death metal bands do. TON tune down because pete steele has a really deep voice which suits the b tuning really well

Originally posted by Misanthrope
I play drop D with my band, and if i need to play low tunned bands i use the whammy to go down to drop B

when i use my whammy to drop down i get a really really shitty tone. it's alright if i use it to drop down one step but when i drop down to b it sounds way too shit. but i guess its the only practical way because if i tuned down to b i would have to buy a new set of strings and then readjust my bridge, intonation etc.

btw, the guitarist in my band uses a 7 strings and we play in g# d# g# c# f# a# d#

Ahhh! I have just bought new strings and placed them on my acoustic guitar. Its the "Eric Bibbs" model with gauge 013-058 and my fingers are bleeding!!! (almost)
They were cheap so its no big deal if I change again (3 for 10 dollars). Even with C# tuning they are so stable, hard, unremovable... you name it!

I think I will change them for 012-053 instead...

Originally posted by Misanthrope
I play drop D with my band, and if i need to play low tunned bands i use the whammy to go down to drop B

Doesn't that end up sounding awfull? I can't imagine the tracking being spot on? Or is it doable? I've tried downtuning a guitar that way, but it somehow always ends up sounding a bit shit. But then again I've never used a whammy pedal...