Canes show

Doodoobubbachuck

Maidens' drums
Aug 2, 2002
theironmaidens.com
Hey, thanks so much to everyone who came to the Cane's show! And an extra special thanks to all our last-minute helpers who pulled through for us! You all rule!!!!! What a fun gig that was! Pics coming soon to the website! !

Another great show and fun time at Canes- thanks Maidens!
As openers for The Atomic Punks, the ladies played about a dozen songs and definitely WOWed the crowd with their impressive skills and elaborate stage show. A few highlights included: The Trooper, Die w/Your Boots On, Children of the Damned, Wasted Years, Phantom of the Opera (sounded great!!!), Hallowed Be Thy Name (with a very cool hanging skeleton prop!), and a fun birthday surprise to MiniMurray with gifts from Eddie!
Happy Birthday Mini!:wave:

The Atomic Punks were an excellent tribute act too. Their experience at playing early Van Halen really showed... the singer had all the DLR kicks and moves, great drum solo, and about a 15 minute shredding EVH guitar solo! No Michael Anthony bass solo though... A fun moment in the Punks' show: on a crowd request they busted out Ozzy/Crazy Train!

Kind of a weird gig, Canes was. Nobody tried to jump up onstage. First time that's happened in San Diego. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Other good thing about this gig was that it was early. Get in, hit it, load out and get the fuck out of Dodge. My kind of show!

That was the first time I have seen the Maidens. Holy crap they rocked! I haven't busted out Maiden in a long time. I guess I hadn't really listened to them since Powerslave.

I was pretty excited before the show, and it was worth the drive down from OC. Once again, great show and keep up the good work. I think I am going to have to go down again in Dec ;)

You guys need to get a gig with AC/DShe, Cheap Chick and some of the other Girl tribute bands at HOB in Anaheim. That is great venue.

Great show, hope to see you again soon!

well, it's actually this friday the 17th so your not late! my bandmates decided to surprise me early- so clever! thanks for the kewl stuff in the bag lovely maidens of iron!

Bostic said:
Awesome DW set! What are the specs of everything?
Hey Bostic! Thanks! I love these drums!!! Here we go:

8x8, 9x10, 10x12 toms
12x14 & 14x16 floor toms
18x22 kick
61/2 x 14 snare

They are birch drums with a custom burnt toast fade over exotic mapa burl.
:) Aren't you the one who switched from playing lefty to righty even though you are a lefty?? Is that you?

Snausages said:
"Hey Stwongbad, whattaya doin?"
"Lookin at a thing in a bag..."

LOL

Buh...fuh...duh...strongbad read a book!

-HobbesDawg

You know the Maidens will have hit the MEGABIG (bigger than Maiden!)time when they guest star on Strongbad.. hum... idea.. (writes off hasty email).

Doodoobubbachuck said:
Hey Bostic! Thanks! I love these drums!!! Here we go:

8x8, 9x10, 10x12 toms
12x14 & 14x16 floor toms
18x22 kick
61/2 x 14 snare

They are birch drums with a custom burnt toast fade over exotic mapa burl.
:) Aren't you the one who switched from playing lefty to righty even though you are a lefty?? Is that you?
Wow, totally a kickass set. Any reason for picking Birch over Maple? I am a lefty but played righty for years then about 4 years ago with to 'bothy' Rides and Hi-hats on both sides playing open handed like Simon Phillips. How long did you have to wait for the kit? I'm suffering until late November when my new Pearl SRX's arrive. Not the top of the line but still Maple shells (way better than my current Tama Rockstars)

(2) 16x20 Basses
7x8, 8x10, 9x12 Rack Toms
14x14 Floor Tom
Snare is still up in the air, either a Craviotto or Dunnet Titanium

I'm hoping to make it down to Southern California again sometime soon to catch another Maiden's gig. The Bay Area is still waiting for some Maiden's gigage!

Bostic said:
Any reason for picking Birch over Maple?
My guess is because birch is more resonant than maple. There's a new theater in Los Angeles (if I recall correctly, it's the home of the L.A. Symphony) that is using a stage made of birch because of it's resonant properties.

Acoustic guitars (steel and nylon string guitars alike) also typically use a birch top for their soundboards as it vibrates better than maple to reproduce sound.

Maple is stiffer and results in a brighter sound than birch. Maple is used in the arch top of Gibson's Les Paul model electric guitar which gives it it's treble bite to compensate for the softer wood sound of mahogany. It also has a better wood grain appearance than birch typically does. (Birch tends to look fairly plain, unless it's a figured type of birch like the one you see on Linda's set.)