Carcass - "Heartwork"

Guardian of Darkness said:
It's quite a commercial, uninnovative album on the whole. It's surely one of the better releases in the (generally dreadful) style, but I very rarely listen to it.
Commercial? Sure it has the odd Iron Maiden-esque riff (in This Mortal Coil, I believe it is), but it's actually a deceptively complex album. It's in a whole different style to the Gothenburg scene's output, and it has a surprising amount of bizarre, atonal moments. In case it's not obvious, I like it a great deal. :p

Heartwork is one of the best Death Metal albums of all time.

I certainly wouldn't call the album Melo Death, compare it to any Swedish Melodeath band and you'll discover a distinct difference. The album is Death Metal with a distinct Death Metal foundation with layers of melody incorporated on top.

What makes Heartwork so good is the lyrics, song structure, distinct Death sound, tempo changes all of which are helped by the melody introduced on top of the Death sound.

Profånity said:
I certainly wouldn't call the album Melo Death, compare it to any Swedish Melodeath band and you'll discover a distinct difference. The album is Death Metal with a distinct Death Metal foundation with layers of melody incorporated on top.
Dude, I don't why you wouldn't call Heartwork melo-death. It has melody and harmonized lead guitar with death metal vocals. The reason it doesn't sound like gothenburg stuff is because heartwork was the forrunner for all other melodeath. Opinions are opinions but Its fact that Heartwork is melodic death metal.

How does one get "bored" by grind?

Also, Necroticism is by no means "brutal". It's just more grindy than their later stuff.

Symphonies of Sickness is the best Carcass album. But still, the rest are pretty good, apart from Swansong, which is pretty bad.

Heartwork is a great album. I got my copy signed by Michael Amott the last time he was in town. Its a great album for sure, in fact its my favorite carcass album, followed by Swansong in second place =)

I was watching some re-runs of Beavis and Butthead on MTV2 the other day, and they were watching the Heartwork video, lol. I was really surprised at how they bashed it though, they usually headbang to good metal. Either way, it was still cool to see it on beavis and butthead (i miss that show so much, lol).