Caught Somewhere in Time

Hey Crossy.
I'm up to my ass on tracks, But would love to do this one if MR.Hyde or Eddie does not want to do it.
I know this song inside and out and could get the track out in hours once I had the drum track. No Shit. :) I know I've let you guys down the last few months but you all remember when I say I'll get the tracks out in no time, I mean no time.

Is there a drum track yet for this one? I can send the album version if it helps to get the drums going.

Please advise.
Thanks
Constantine

Crossy: You see it only as a "bit" of a challenge?
I'm not confident In my ability to do the guitar work on it, and I know I can't play the bass.:lol: I just had to post something about this one though. If you can pull it off you deserve a major hell yeah!
I'll work on it and if no one else wants the guitar work I'll give it a shot. I'll also try to learn the bass but I think it's just way too difficult for me. It never hurts to try though.

Rabies if you want to do this one it's yours. I'm going to practice it anyway and if you or someone else don't want to do it then maybe I'll be ready.

Oh no... I gave the wrong impression. I am really not that keen on doing this one...would rather see my other projects get finished first. I just meant if you wanted it, let me know so I can update my project page.

Ok rabies. I'm not ready to commit to this one yet because my playing isn't up to it. I'll keep practicing and if no one else grabs it and I can do it I'll go for it.

Playing is not up to it on guitar or bass? For that matter, would you describe yourself as a better guitar or bass player?

I gotta tell ya..I think guits on this song are much easier than Number of the Beast....and I think Bass on Number of the Beast is way harder than guits on the song. I am playing along and listening to Steve in the middle section (and beggining end) and it totally dumbfounds me. How can he play that freaking fast with his fingers!? I dunno how you bass players do it!

..maybe this song _is_ harder and I just don't have an appreciation for that yet ...like I did with Eagles Dare..I totally underestimated that song.

Rabies: My playing isn't up to it on guitar or bass. I'm a way better guitarist than I am a bass player, when I have to play with my fingers. When I can use a pick then it equals things out a little.

I can play notb on guitar, the rythem parts, without to much of a problem. It's because the first part is downpicking but during the rest of the song you can use alternating picking on the last few notes of each section....let me see if I can make sense here....if you count it like triplets 123- 123 -123- 123- and end with 1234 and use alternating picking on the 1234 part it gives your picking a chance to relax. I'm not sure that makes sense but I don't know how else to describe it here. As far as I know, they don't use downpicking exclusively through the whole song.
Anyway on bass Steve may, and probably does, go full on speed through the whole song, but I can use some hammer on's and pull off's here and there to play some of those really fast sounding parts. It is still a hard song to get through and I'm still trying to get my stamina up for it. You're right about the beginning and ending sections though, it's fast and hard on my fingers.

How's that compare with Somewhere in time....? It's full on gallop on bass. There is no way to simulate that without doing it. The guitars have breaks from the gallop but not the bass. Anyway my stamina for the for playing those fast gallops on guitar isn't up to it because I don't get enough practice. It's not the speed on guitar, it's the stamina. On bass it's both speed, and stamina that I lack when playing with my fingers.

Does this make sense?

At one time I could play all of this stuff on guitar without much of a problem but the lack of practice has really killed my stamina. The speed is still there but not for a sustained period.

Originally posted by Mr. Hyde
I can play notb on guitar, the rythem parts, without to much of a problem.

Oh, boy...let me clarify that statement....Translate "withouth too much of a problem" to mean that I can get through it without my forearm falling off!:lol:

I don't know. Maybe it is easier than I think. I know in previous years when I sat down to learn it I gave up haha.. of course ive improved since then.

I think its probably just the solos that go for 3 minutes that put me off haha :p

Anyway I see it as a bit of a challenge. Beast has its challenges too.. especially when its fast :)

Caught Somewhere In Time....well, what can I say. For a bassplayer it's somewhat of a marathon, fast galloping all the way for over 6 minutes. :eek: It's tough, no matter how you look at it. Almost any other galloping Maiden song (i.e. The trooper, Only the good die young, etc) is easier than CSIT, in my opinion. In any case, it's actually easier to gallop with flat-wound strings, like Steve has! But the speed must be gradually built up.

Additionally, I think Eddie's Cellmate could confirm all of this.
(RIGHT?!!) ;) :lol:

PS. You bassplayers should practise to The Duellists!
Now THAT'S a killer!! (stamina-wise)

I'll get a new computer in the fall.
Then I can start doin some work for ya all (, bassplayin').
Until then, keep up the good work!

Staffan

Take advantage of the fact that your recording on a computer! Divide the song up into sections, and even if its galloping all the way through, there are chord/note changes in there. Play each part seperately and on a new track. By overlapping your playing slightly, you can then go back and merge the tracks together into 1 bass track with some 'not-so-tricky' techniques. Digital editing RULES!

No one will EVER hear the difference.... as long as you don't make ANY changes to the recording chain between tracks. If you do, your hosed.

Some purists might consider that 'cheating'.

I always try to go with 1 take on rhythm work. If I flub, I'll start over. Even on a song like 1 U luv where there is a nice big fat stop halfway through..I plough on. I always try to shoot for that continuity in playing first.

..but yer right...I have in the past just said screw it and punched in multiple sections..and digitally edited so there was no way you could tell. Powerful stuff.

I try to avoid punching in on solo's at all costs. You really want the continuity of sound there. That often means I end up with 900 takes of any given solo!

Oh well...enough babbling for me.

Yeah it definitly depends on what the end product is...

If I ultimately have to do it live, then you can bet your ass its one take in the studio. But if the final result is just a recording (as in this), then as long as you can keep the 'feel' of continuity, then I think a better sounding track is more important then worrying about a single take.

Of course with leads its REALLY hard to keep the feel with multiple tracks..... and since they're mixed to the front its also MUCH harder to get it to 'sound' like 1 take...

Vocals are even worse...you definately want continuity there...punch ins are often very easy to spot.

...Listen to Die With Your Boots on...more specifically listen to the line "afflicting us with fear"....HUGE punch in. For the longest time, I thought it was Adrian...or somebody else..singing that line. Levels are perfect..singing is perfect...but continuity in vocal tone was broken and thus it almost sounds like somebody else piping in.

I usually record 1 verse or chorus at a time unless there is no way to seperate them. With the natural breaks between lines you can capture the recording in parts, but you still have to 'sing' the entire line or lines so that your breathing and inflections are natural thoughout the entire verse/chorus....

This song has sparked a pretty good musical discussion.:)

I like to record my parts straight through without any overdubs,
but I know that's not the way the pro's do it, and since I always screw up somewhere, I don't end up getting it down in one take. Jim makes some good points about using studio tricks to get the best performance. I have a lot to learn in the way of editing audio, some of you are way ahead of me in that area.
There are some albums where it's obvious that things were recorded seperately and compiled together later.
Metallica's Kill em all, for example, you can hear that the solo's were punched in, and mixed together.

A couple examples of vocals on album that sound like they were multiple takes mixed to sound like one....the scream at the beginning of Notb....the scream at the end of I remember you...
I think that in most recording situations the lead vocals are split line by line...let's use Hallowed as an example, Bruce might have recorded the main verses one line at a time on seperate tracks....When the priest comes to read me the last rites....on track one, skip the next line...
Of a world that has gone very wrong for me...and on track two
Take a look through the bars at the last sights...Can it be that there's some sort of error..etc...That's why singers catch so much grief live because they are convinced to record things in the studio, giving 100 percent on each word, that are nearly impossible to do live...(these are just my thoughts, I may be totally wrong about how they did it)

The studio is a controlled environment. The temperature is regulated, the speakers are tuned to the room...etc...
In that environment, they have way more control over sound and that gives them a better chance of making overdubs sound like one take.

I'll stop here... :)

I can tell you that when I recorded in a real studio in December, we attempted to record the entire song in one take. (Which never happened of course)...

We'd end up with about a verse or chorus done. Then we'd go back and listen carefully to each line and redo the lines we didn't like. At points we punched in within a line if there was room to do so....

At home, I just record an entire verse/chorus and do the same thing. If a verse has 4 lines, and I have to redo 1, I re-sing the 1 line on a new track, being careful to keep the breathing correct. Then I CUT that line out of the 1st take...

I can tell you that I usually end up doing QUITE a few takes of each line until I am semi-happy with it. I have yet to spend the amount of time I did in the studio on a song done at home... perhaps I should????