CDs or MP3s?

Aug 6, 2006
What do you guys (and girls) buy more of really/actual CDs or mp3s from places like iTunes, metaltracks.com and so on? If you could get all your music online would you buy online and download it or do you like to have the CD in your hands?

I wish all music was available to download for all bands, it is so much easier!!!

Peter

I like cds better. I find them a better experience with the booklets and the cover art and reading the lyrics etc. Also I some what collect cds, so its basically my hobbie buying them.

I like cds better. I find them a better experience with the booklets and the cover art and reading the lyrics etc. Also I some what collect cds, so its basically my hobbie buying them.

I was a CD collector at one time myself and I still love reading the lyrics and thanks list most of the time that can be found online. I guess I just like to be able to buy, download and be listening to an entire album in 5 mnutes or less.

Peter

I concur. It is true it is the music that matters the most, but having the genuine tangible product can be very special and holistically satisfying as well (especially if the cd is very hard to find anywhere). Downloading is very helpful though if the cd's are too difficult to obtain though... there's tons of mp3 cd's I dowloaded (never paid for them, never will) that I would love to have an original hard-copy of but that would take a lot of "very lucky ebay instances" and/or "lucky random stumblings upon rare finds in the used bin" in order to fulfill.

Because I've never had to.
That was also said in the theory that after I hear a song or two that I like from an album, chances are I'm going to go out to the record store (we've got a good one in town) and buy the CD.
I'll get a file share from a friend, get tuned into a band, and go out and buy the CD, usually for the first time used.
This is also to say that I've never gotten an entire CD mp3'd before.

I'll download MP3s just to make sure I like what I'm interested in listening to. I'll also download hard to find and out-of-print stuff. But I prefer to buy the CD's because I'm really anal about having the artwork and liner notes n' stuff!

Same here. I've got about 800. I don't even like having burns really, I've gotta have the original with the cover art and everything or it just doesn't feel right.

There's no way in hell I'm going to BUY an mp3 when I can buy an actual CD and rip it or just download it for free.