Challenging fun modern metal songs for guitar?

Sep 20, 2005
I've been slacking on my guitar playing and I'm trying to get back on top of it. Looking for some stuff to learn that will push me to be a tighter better player. I've been playing some stuff by the faceless, BDM, Sylosis. It's not all super hard, but hard to get perfect. Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions or maybe what you guys are learning at the moment.

check out songs by All Shall Perish, they've got some sick stuff in there. If any of their songs aren't challenging to you then you sir are God. :lol:

I recently learned some stuff from Keith Merrow, for example this one:

Hella fun to play, groovy and definitely helped me get better with my playing by trying to get it just as tight as he does.
And playing in his tuning (Drop Bb) was pretty new to me too, as I haven't dabbled much into drop tunings before.

He also has tabs on his website http://www.keithmerrow.com

Last edited by a moderator:
check out songs by All Shall Perish, they've got some sick stuff in there. If any of their songs aren't challenging to you then you sir are God. :lol:

This.
ASP are one of the few deathcore bands I like partly because the musicianship is just insane and can rival tech death bands.
Only issue is the tuning, drop B in 7 strings is a pain in the ass.
Unless you've got an 8 gauge for the highest string, it will snap way too quickly on bends.

I recently learned some stuff from Keith Merrow, for example this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGc297sF7gY

Hella fun to play, groovy and definitely helped me get better with my playing by trying to get it just as tight as he does.
And playing in his tuning (Drop Bb) was pretty new to me too, as I haven't dabbled much into drop tunings before.

Great song, but doesn't sound like it was recorded live. So the "trying to get it as tight as he does" isn't really relevant coz he could have slip-edited the song to death :p
But still, great song nonetheless.

What would yall recommend some songs to learn for more intermediate players? I've learned Master Of Puppets but I'm kinda bored with that now. I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years.
Thanks.

Great song, but doesn't sound like it was recorded live. So the "trying to get it as tight as he does" isn't really relevant coz he could have slip-edited the song to death :p

Actually, I recorded straight to disk on that video (no audio edits, just video). It's not that tight, imo. I hear mistakes all over it. The album version is edited all to hell, though. :tickled:

What would yall recommend some songs to learn for more intermediate players? I've learned Master Of Puppets but I'm kinda bored with that now. I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years.
Thanks.

Great suggestions from everyone! Thanks! Death is plenty modern for me, Great idea! I don't really care if a band edited, I want to be as tight as they are edited on my own if possible, haha.

Learn Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist at 25% speed, then slowly build your way up to 100%.