Writing Songs for Guitar

Well I should have known it would be futile to try to talk some sense into moronic Opeth fanboys. You guys still haven't posted any music of your own and affinityband, you removed your band link from sig? Ah well, I'll just take that as a forfeit. And the most hilarious thing is that people in the Opeth forum are the only people I EVER hear negative feedback from. I guess because I don't play powerchord beats and simple acoustic passages and rip off Tool nobody will like it, eh? But no, there's nothing wrong with liking Opeth.

I'm surprised some people have such meaningless lives as to blow a single post out of proportion that was intended to help a beginner guitarist. All of those tips on there were good. A beginner isn't going to be learning all that technical crap and modes and memorize all of the scales, not even your sexlust Akerfeldt knows all that stuff. This beginner isn't going to transform into Jari Maenpaa overnight, he's got to start small just by learning the sound of the instrument.

I'm sure all your music is generic crap that sticks safely to it's labeled genre, and anything that branches into individualness or creativity will scare you like a rabbit being chased by a rotweiler. So sure, claim that your 3-minute death metal song is better than anything at all but you'd be lying to yourself. But yeah, you guys aren't worth my time and you're the reason the Opeth forum sucks and is full if nonsense. Also the reason Moonlapse quit. So be proud of yourselves for having the most worthless lives ever.

Oinkness said:
Well I should have known it would be futile to try to talk some sense into moronic Opeth fanboys. You guys still haven't posted any music of your own and affinityband, you removed your band link from sig? Ah well, I'll just take that as a forfeit. And the most hilarious thing is that people in the Opeth forum are the only people I EVER hear negative feedback from. I guess because I don't play powerchord beats and simple acoustic passages and rip off Tool nobody will like it, eh? But no, there's nothing wrong with liking Opeth.

I'm surprised some people have such meaningless lives as to blow a single post out of proportion that was intended to help a beginner guitarist. All of those tips on there were good. A beginner isn't going to be learning all that technical crap and modes and memorize all of the scales, not even your sexlust Akerfeldt knows all that stuff. This beginner isn't going to transform into Jari Maenpaa overnight, he's got to start small just by learning the sound of the instrument.

I'm sure all your music is generic crap that sticks safely to it's labeled genre, and anything that branches into individualness or creativity will scare you like a rabbit being chased by a rotweiler. So sure, claim that your 3-minute death metal song is better than anything at all but you'd be lying to yourself. But yeah, you guys aren't worth my time and you're the reason the Opeth forum sucks and is full if nonsense. Also the reason Moonlapse quit. So be proud of yourselves for having the most worthless lives ever.

lol, look up "failure" in the dictionary and you see a picture of oinkness.

Oinkness said:

Actually most critisism of your post were quite constructive, contrary to your reply... Just can't stand being critisised, eh? :Smug:

I don't post my music here mainly because I don't like the idea with the seperate thread to do it which is visited only by other guys who want to post their music there so nothing gets heard... but I'm finishing my album and I may post it here... not that I expect words of praise from you - you look like a guy who's feelings are so badly hurt that he'll look for every opportunity to flame those who critisised him :Smug:

Oinkness said:

Well you absoloute cunt, i will post some. Reason i changed my sig is because i wanted to show how moronic you are to anyone who bothers to take a look....Im proud of it but dont go around saying it is doing something for a music scene which you claim yours does. Mines just an Opeth rip off. Not intended to be but is. RARGH

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=9634759

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=92947085

And then theres the other one i decided to do because of... personal reasons.. Anyway. Up yours. Dont be spiteful now.

:Wreath: said:
Actually most critisism of your post were quite constructive, contrary to your reply... Just can't stand being critisised, eh? :Smug:

I don't post my music here mainly because I don't like the idea with the seperate thread to do it which is visited only by other guys who want to post their music there so nothing gets heard... but I'm finishing my album and I may post it here... not that I expect words of praise from you - you look like a guy who's feelings are so badly hurt that he'll look for every opportunity to flame those who critisised him :Smug:
Pfft, a few childish insults on the Opeth forum isn't going to stop me from doing anything musical. But if you do make the album, I'd love to hear it. You should sign up for a myspace or purevolume or soundclick or [insert free music uploading service here] so people could hear your stuff.

The Rainwound demo was recorded in summer 2005 anyway, and the new promo I'm currently working on of the same material sounds downright awesome. Maybe people will stop bashing so much when they hear the re-recorded songs with vocals and ambiance the way it was planned to be. :) You guys may think I'm arrogant for liking my music and wanting people to hear it and all that, but if I wasn't so enthusiastic about it I probably wouldn't be making it and I would have joined 'Harvist' the local black metal band that recently relocated to Indiana. :( Plus I should put some better samples on the site, one minute clips are lame... Perhaps I should release the whole demo after the promo gets done. Eh.

affinityband said:
Well you absoloute cunt, i will post some. Reason i changed my sig is because i wanted to show how moronic you are to anyone who bothers to take a look....Im proud of it but dont go around saying it is doing something for a music scene which you claim yours does. Mines just an Opeth rip off. Not intended to be but is. RARGH

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=9634759

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=92947085

And then theres the other one i decided to do because of... personal reasons.. Anyway. Up yours. Dont be spiteful now.
Well, I'm on dialup so it's going to take a long time to hear your stuff, I'll let you know what I think when it's done downloading, but Affinity appears to have a full line-up, and is not a one-man project so you can't really claim that as a whole-you type thing.

-edit- woah wtf? Did you edit your post? I never said my stuff did anything for a scene, of course I think Rainwound's mixture of progressive rock and black metal is unique but I don't think anyone else will attempt progrock/black metal like this so there really is no scene that it would be changing, it's just in a kind of scene of it's own. -_- At least it's not an Opeth ripoff. :p

There's a big difference between being able to play scales, and knowing all the notes and titles of each scale. Sure, I've learned scales now, but I used to use slides and bends a lot and it really made a nice, open sound that didn't sound formulaic as if I had been sticking on a scale. I'm gonna post another short clip here of a newer improvised solo to prove that you really don't need to know the literal side of scales to be able to play solos. Please excuse the mixing, it is a quick rough mix and I haven't got to actually mixing that one yet. It's even got a tiny bit of shredding at the end. :lol:

The downtuning comment in the context you're thinking of is indeed a dumb thing for someone to say. I meant drop-D of course. And of course it's not always used just to play fast powerchords, but in the context of this thread where the beginner is learning guitar, he should really stick in E standard instead of going drop D. At least in E standard he could learn full chords and the sounds of them. He could then apply that to D standard, C standard or whatever the hell when he gets more experience.

I just cracked my neck a few times by pushing my head to the left, and my left arm got all tingly while it was happening like when you lay on it for a while and lose the circulation. Perhaps I should stop cracking my neck and spine so often. *_*

The song parallel was done as a band. The song untitled was done just me and the other thing was just me. And plus in a thread entitled 'American Metal' or something like that you said you seriously thought that 'rainwound' and 'satanic dirge' were doing something for the american metal scene.

affinityband said:
The song parallel was done as a band. The song untitled was done just me and the other thing was just me. And plus in a thread entitled 'American Metal' or something like that you said you seriously thought that 'rainwound' and 'satanic dirge' were doing something for the american metal scene.
That "I am somewhat weary of the american metal scene..." thing was a review by Lord Sepsis as he's known on this forum, and published in the Spartan Times, his college newspaper... I didn't write up that review, heh heh! :lol:

Actually Oinkness, saying people can't write anything better than you is assumptious and arrogant, as well as subjective. What I write I may think is better than anything you've ever done (tbh, anyone with half a brain would know I write better than you) but you may not think so. You can't go around shoving it down people's throats like it's fact.

And on the contrary, Akerfeldt does know all the scales I posted, because I've heard him play all of them at least once. Anyone with a shred of logic and knows how to play the guitar a little, would be able to figure out those scale formulas and become familiar with them within several days of practice, so saying I'm "overwhelming" anyone is quite bullshit (although I can understand if it overwhelms you, you seem to be inherently retarded).

and LOL @ you assuming our tastes or style of writing as if you're talking to some people on a Cannibal Corpse forum. If you want to go on about us being afraid of creativity and use a genre and an average song length to justify your point. STFU. I think none of us would be here if we were afraid of creative songwriting, and wanted to stick to "average 3 minute death metal songs."

If you're going to attack everyone for not being as creative as you (how arrogant of you, asshole) then you seriously need to reevaluate yourself. Seems to me all your songs and melodies sound like out takes from Final Fantasy with double bass and drawn out arrangements. Certainly nothing new, original, all that creative, or groundbreaking for what exists already.

Botfly said:
Actually Oinkness, saying people can't write anything better than you is assumptious and arrogant, as well as subjective. What I write I may think is better than anything you've ever done (tbh, anyone with half a brain would know I write better than you) but you may not think so. You can't go around shoving it down people's throats like it's fact.

And on the contrary, Akerfeldt does know all the scales I posted, because I've heard him play all of them at least once. Anyone with a shred of logic and knows how to play the guitar a little, would be able to figure out those scale formulas and become familiar with them within several days of practice, so saying I'm "overwhelming" anyone is quite bullshit (although I can understand if it overwhelms you, you seem to be inherently retarded).

and LOL @ you assuming our tastes or style of writing as if you're talking to some people on a Cannibal Corpse forum. If you want to go on about us being afraid of creativity and use a genre and a an average song length to justify your point. STFU. I think none of us would be here if we were afraid of creative songwriting, and wanted to stick to "average 3 minute death metal songs."

If you're going to attack everyone for not being as creative as you (how arrogant of you, asshole) then you seriously need to reevaluate yourself. Seems to me all your songs and melodies sound like out takes from Final Fantasy (because they blew too much) with double bass and drawn out arrangements. Certainly nothing new, original, all that creative, or groundbreaking for what exists already.
Please share with me your chronic. :)

Scourge of Malice said:
Whats an "easy" powerchord.. they're fucking easy anyways.
Holding down a powerchord with one finger is easier than holding it down with two, and of course single-finger powerchords in drop-D would be a lot faster than normal tuning powerchords. I can't believe you guys can't grasp the concept of the fast drop-D powerchords. -_-

Well since this thread doesn't really have a purpose atm (except insulting eachother) but is getting some attention, we could use it to share music so that everyone can comment on each other's music since not many people respond in the specific sticky that is meant for these kind of things. And since my dad who usually works in the room where I record my music (and thus I can't play my guitar there when he is working because it is a bit disrupting) is going on vacation for a few days, I will be able to start recording again, and any advice before I do that could help me out a lot.

Worldslide

Ion Storm

The Lurking Shadow

Circles Upon The Waters

New Fragment

New Fragment 2

Note: please don't slam me for the bad guitar playing in the first 3 songs since they were recorded more than a year ago and I've only been playing the electric guitar for 2 years. The 2 fragments are very recent and Circles Upon The Waters is about half a year old.

Holding down a powerchord with one finger is easier than holding it down with two, and of course single-finger powerchords in drop-D would be a lot faster than normal tuning powerchords. I can't believe you guys can't grasp the concept of the fast drop-D powerchords. -_-

Well the problem is that this is just one of the possibilities in drop-D tuning. Not everyone plays the simple powerchords that you are talking about, there's many more possibilities that can be enriched by using drop-D tuning.

Opethian666 said:
Well the problem is that this is just one of the possibilities in drop-D tuning. Not everyone plays the simple powerchords that you are talking about, there's many more possibilities that can be enriched by using drop-D tuning.

And this is very true. You can get much more creative at times in drop tuning if you use it right.