Writing Songs for Guitar

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
I thought this forum could use some discussion on writing songs for guitar since alot of people play guitar. I am fairly skilled for being new to guitar playing, I have been playing for about a year. I am learning alot of songs, mostly Opeth songs, but I want to start writing original stuff. I would like to hear opinions on the best way to write songs for guitar. And also I would like to know the common scales for writing metal songs etc... Cheers :kickass:

edit: This thread is for serious discussion, so don't bother posting anymore stupiditity. I am getting tired of these pre-dick-table comments from you insignifi-cunts!

metal_wrath said:
I would like to hear opinions on the best way to write songs for guitar. And also I would like to know the common scales for writing metal songs etc... Cheers :kickass:

I seriously doubt anyone here on this forum knows how to do any of these things - try reading books instead of forums maybe?

hibernal_dream said:
I seriously doubt anyone here on this forum knows how to do any of these things - try reading books instead of forums maybe?
Yeah, I have loads of books on guitar scales and theory and stuff. But I wanted to hear the opinion of somebody who actually writes music everyday in a metal perspective.

just record yourself fucking around all the time. Audacity is a great program for this, mainly because its free. You'll end up having some good stuff recorded on to your computer to come back to an use in a song.

^ That is true, although I am having trouble finding the right notes to play...

I have tried using a book of scales with fretboard diagrams and even though I am playing by the scales, the notes don't seem to fit together correctly...

Forget the scales..they are just limiting you.

I normally just play, try stuff I have in mind as long as I come up with a riff or a hookline I like. Then I try what could fit that riff or if I already have riffs that could fit it. But it all differs, sometimes I record stuff on my pc and try some second guitars vocals etc. sometimes I just jam around with our drummer, bassist, guitarplayer or vocalist.

I think theres no real concept you should have for writing songs............just do it. Just play, free your mind and if you find something you like (whatever scale it is in.....not that I've never learned scales) then it's ok.

well that perhaps is right........it can also help you to jam with other musicians when you know which scale you are playing in.......especially free jazz stuff is very tricky that way.
But IMO you shouldn't stick to hard to the scales.......and I know lots of musicians who have so much knowledge of scales but just write boring predictable music because they aren't brave enough to leave the scales and just play what they think could fit.

so....scales are important basics which can help you play.........but imo it's not necessary (sooner or later you'll find scales youreself while jamming)
as keith said: scales don't limit you if you know HOW to use them.......but if you don't know....

but when I hear you say: "And also I would like to know the common scales for writing metal songs etc..." it just screams for limitation!
It sounds like........hey lets write a metal song, so I have to take the metal song scale with the tones I am allowed to use.......:puke:

Netheral said:
well that perhaps is right........it can also help you to jam with other musicians when you know which scale you are playing in.......especially free jazz stuff is very tricky that way.
But IMO you shouldn't stick to hard to the scales.......and I know lots of musicians who have so much knowledge of scales but just write boring predictable music because they aren't brave enough to leave the scales and just play what they think could fit.

so....scales are important basics which can help you play.........but imo it's not necessary (sooner or later you'll find scales youreself while jamming)
as keith said: scales don't limit you if you know HOW to use them.......but if you don't know....

but when I hear you say: "And also I would like to know the common scales for writing metal songs etc..." it just screams for limitation!
It sounds like........hey lets write a metal song, so I have to take the metal song scale with the tones I am allowed to use.......:puke:

Agreed.

Netheral said:
"And also I would like to know the common scales for writing metal songs etc..." it just screams for limitation!

It also screams that the person you quoted is a little on the noob side.