Changing outputs in Protools

xMannequiNx

Mar 29, 2009
Is this possible?

I use one room for recording as a control room and live room, and I wanted to be able to switch between outputs 1/2 and 3/4 in protools. Output 1/2 is my headphone amp and 3/4 is my monitors.

My only idea was to bus everything into a master track which I could switch, but the "master fader" tracks in protools have no input selection.

why do you wanna do this?
If you mean what i think you mean for headphone mixes for tracking, set up a send for 1/2 on all the tracks,
Highlight all tracks you wanna use, press alt+shift then click in send and choose output 1/2 or 3/4 whatever way round you do it . voila you have sends to your headphone mix.
Make sure you click PRE on all of them so the control room mix doesnt fuck it up.
If you want to send to both at the same time you can choose multiple outputs by pressing ⌘ + clicking on an additional output.

Is this possible?

I use one room for recording as a control room and live room, and I wanted to be able to switch between outputs 1/2 and 3/4 in protools. Output 1/2 is my headphone amp and 3/4 is my monitors.

My only idea was to bus everything into a master track which I could switch, but the "master fader" tracks in protools have no input selection.

of course it is. route everything to a bus and route that bus to a 1/2 and then switch to 3/4 when needed

why do you wanna do this?
If you mean what i think you mean for headphone mixes for tracking, set up a send for 1/2 on all the tracks,
Highlight all tracks you wanna use, press alt+shift then click in send and choose output 1/2 or 3/4 whatever way round you do it . voila you have sends to your headphone mix.
Make sure you click PRE on all of them so the control room mix doesnt fuck it up.
If you want to send to both at the same time you can choose multiple outputs by pressing ⌘ + clicking on an additional output.

I wasn't planning on using that, but that idea is really good, I'm sure I'll be using it in the future.

of course it is. route everything to a bus and route that bus to a 1/2 and then switch to 3/4 when needed

thanks for confirming. Would I be able to use that bus to master the tracks?

What Greyskull explained with the sends is the best way to do headphone mixes. You can use a master fader to then be a trim for that output.
Sending that output into your speakers doesn't make much sense, do the musicians have monitors strapped to their heads? If you want to hear what they're hearing, the best way is to strap some headphones on.

What Greyskull explained with the sends is the best way to do headphone mixes. You can use a master fader to then be a trim for that output.
Sending that output into your speakers doesn't make much sense, do the musicians have monitors strapped to their heads? If you want to hear what they're hearing, the best way is to strap some headphones on.

This is cause I use different ways of monitoring for each instrument. Drums are recorded with headphones, but then I record guitar/bass direct so I use the monitors. Then I switch back to headphones for the vox.