Check this out

Maudlin of the Well rules.. geez stop going all haywire about a negative comment towards Opeth. Worse than Tool fans...? maybe :D.

And also, i guess you have never been to the metal-rules.com forums either hehe. 10x worse than this, i don't think anyone knows the name Opeth there, they are called Blopeth there.

I only feel this glue-and-paste thing when a song has that fade out effect on the guitars and then come the acoustics...Opeth do it a lot and sometimes this makes me bored...well, anyway, it's not something that will make me hate the band.

I agree that Orchid and Morningrise may seem to have this affect somewhat, but the only song on Deliverance that seems choppy is probably Wreath althought I love that song. I assume because all of their songs are long that this guy assumes that they just glue a bunch of riffs together, ALTHOUGH, the songs flow perfectly. Even though I haven't heard this guys band, I don't know if their songs are longer than average or not from what hes said. It sounds like something Dave Mustaine would say. Does anyone else agree with that?

The only time there is a problem with doing that is if you do it like metallica on St. Anger and just randomly throw together riffs through cut and paste, which is what they did, and it sucks. The difference with Opeth is that mikael probably has an idea of what the main idea for the song is...so everything is based off that right away. The only cut and paste might be the arrangement in the song itself, but anyone that loves opeth knows that the songs are structured VERY well and flow VERY well.

They didn't get a reputation as one of the best songwriting bands because theyhave band songwriting. And people at the metal-rules forums are fuckin idiots either way, actually this is one of the few semi-intelligent forums around.

Cut and paste What an unfortunate metaphor for music that we would not have if not for the word processor.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION>
We don't tend to think of Zeppelin or for god's sake YES as cut and paste. Or Rush, Quensryche etc. Cut and paste did not exist in one sense yet thats what Jimmy Page was a master at. Doooh!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do songs get written without ideas bouncing around.
I know as a songwriter myself that is how I prefer to work.
Opeth's sound is obviously an amalgamation of riffs,
Yeah well we know that.
That's why I like it.

Jimmy Page should take Continuing Ed classes of Godness by Mikaël! :dopey:

(By the way wouldn't that be cool if Mike offered masters classes?)

man wtf! The first two albums flow together nicely! I didn't here the fans talking shit about that until someone like that brings it up. I've read a bit about favorite albums and such on the forum for a while now. Nobody ever complains about these things and I never have so screw all you assholes "who can see where they are coming from." The first two albums own your still life and bwp ass!

:lol: @ above post.

No one bitches about it cuz it's not a problem. I surely don't mind, but it is true that the riffs often don't blend together well.

Listen to the intro of The TWilight Is My Robe. After that little Eastern European introduction, the guitars fade out, and basically a whoel new song starts. Same in BRI, after the first four minutes, the riffs stop, there's silence (but if you listen carefully you hear running water, don't know if it's a mistake or not) and then a whole new song starts.

He is just saying that because he thinks it sound stupid with heavy and mellow sections in the same songs...I guess. He can't understand the connection.

Btw. When I first heard Opeth, I thought they were crazy because of the things mentioned above. (My two first Opeths songs were Credence and DOTF, in that order).

Colonial Boy said:
He’s just jealous cos hes in a band with the lamest name ever :p
:lol: I agree it sounds like there’s jealously. As far as why is unimportant. It was an aggressive comment to try and hurt Opeth but it backfired and made him look childish.
metalathiest said:
i guess you have never been to the metal-rules.com forums either... i don't think anyone knows the name Opeth there, they are called Blopeth...”
I think the first time I heard someone call them that it hurt for a millisecond (before I realize that not everyone loved Opeth) then had to laugh. What are you 5? Might as well add “nah nah nah nah naaah” while you’re at it.

Opet said:
I think the first time I heard someone call them that it hurt for a millisecond (before I realize that not everyone loved Opeth) then had to laugh. What are you 5? Might as well add “nah nah nah nah naaah” while you’re at it.
hence why I said "geez stop going all haywire about a negative comment towards Opeth." before. Since people here cannot accept that not everyone like Opeth... and im 17 :D.

osse87 said:
He is just saying that because he thinks it sound stupid with heavy and mellow sections in the same songs...I guess. He can't understand the connection.

Btw. When I first heard Opeth, I thought they were crazy because of the things mentioned above. (My two first Opeths songs were Credence and DOTF, in that order).

I don't think it's a case of not understanding the relationship between the sections, as MOTW's music has similar contrasts, although the transitions are often more gradual...