Chicago was perfect.

I saw a videocamera above the sound booth, but I think that's just for the House of Blues to show it on their tv screens during the performance.

I yelled out Bloodbath a few times, but I always do just for fun.

Mike even commented on how some people thought that the New York setlist was shit. He also said the performance should go in the guinness book of world records for being the longest death metal set. 2.5 hours!!

capbob said:
Mike even commented on how some people thought that the New York setlist was shit. He also said the performance should go in the guinness book of world records for being the longest death metal set. 2.5 hours!!

Pssh, I saw Hate Eternal play for a good 5 hours once...

At least it seemed like it...:Smug:

Lightning05 said:
I was behind the sound board (so in the middle right above the pit) almost right by the railing (there were 2 larger guys in front of me that weren't budging) but there was a gap between them so I was able to see everything in perfect view. Anyone else in that general area?

It might have been me in front of you. I was right behind the sound board towards the left side and I'm 6'6". We were hoping that we were early enough to get seats, but as we walked in they were filled. There couldn't have been more than 150 chairs anyway and everyone stood as soon as they came on stage. I agree about the seating arrangement - I think Opeth was trying to be kind since it was a long set, but they underestimate the staying power of a young audience. Most Dream Theater shows last longer than last night's!

^^
I was probably standing right next to you... you were leaning on the window surrounding the board area, right? with the guy in the never more shirt, and the other guy with the Vader drawing on his leather jacket...?

KaptainKrude said:
^^
I was probably standing right next to you... you were leaning on the window surrounding the board area, right? with the guy in the never more shirt, and the other guy with the Vader drawing on his leather jacket...?

Yep! That was me! Unfortunately almost every show I've seen there that's where I end up (except the Fates Warning show which was sparsely attended.)

did they record this one? DID THEY RECORD THIS ONE!!! (for a dvd maybe?)
even though i'm going to see them on the 17th, it would still be cool if they made a dvd of the special shows.

angelofdeath9308 said:
did they record this one? DID THEY RECORD THIS ONE!!! (for a dvd maybe?)
even though i'm going to see them on the 17th, it would still be cool if they made a dvd of the special shows.

I didn't see any cameras except for the house cam and the hand held one the guy in the soundbooth had, and he only recorded the tracks from Ghost Reveries. :confused:

dolphz said:
We did the "Pas the Line" thing. If you eat dinner there, two entrees, you get to go right in when the doors open. I wouldn't do that for myself, but I wanted to make sure my son got to be somewhere where he could see. By the way, yes he was VERY excited when they played Demon. He's a drummer also, so he dug the drum solo too! So you were on the right side?
What was the highlight for you? Aside from seeing my son headbang to Opeth, I would have to say White Cluster!

Ahhh....very cool, I will keep that in mind for my next concert there!

I was just right of center...actually right next to those guys you were talking about (had a brown jacket on).

I would have to say my highlight was either White Cluster (I love EVERYTHING off of Still Life!), or Ghost of Perdition. I was like :OMG: when Mikael nailed the solos!

Enjoy the Milwaukee show tonight! DTB should be awesome....I saw Strapping Young Lad this Summer at Sounds of the Underground, and they were awesome. So intense!

yea last nights show was pretty kick ass... I was right behind the sound booth so I guess I was pretty close to a couple people on here... I was wearing a blue Adidas hoodie and glasses... anyone see me?

Wow, everybody here that went was standing in the exact same area.

That setlist shit on the set when I saw then. No Amen Corner,april ethereal or karma.. no funeral portrait.

I thought the band stopped playing songs from the first two.

I was at the Chicago show and I am going to have to agree that it was the greatest experience. Waiting in the cold for nearly three hours sucked but it was well worth it. It was my first time seeing Opeth and when they first walked out on stage I have to admit I was shaking. The show started at about 7:15-20 and I believe it didnt get over until nearly 10.

I'm trying to think of how to write this to describe it to those that werent there, but it is truly hard to. Mike was very funny and extremely nice as usual. His antics in between songs were enjoyable and me and my girlfriend were laughing together.

Highlights of the show for me were seeing them play The Leper Affinity. I was very set on hearing the Drapery Falls since thye played it in New York, but when they mixed it up with Affinity it was great. Also, throwing in Baying of the Hounds was a great suprise as well.

One of my complaints about the show which has nothing to do with how Opeth played was that I noticed alot of people in the crowd just talking to others or not paying attention when songs from Damnation were being played. Hearing Windowpane and Closure live was so unreal fore me, but seeing alot of people around me ignoring the songs made me lose my concentration a bit. I'm not saying any of you guys were doing this, but I found it to be kind of disrespectful.

Opeth definetly could tell how much they were loved in Chicago, and it felt good to know they felt welcome so far away from home.

A great show and a great memory for me. The setlist was perfect and the guys' fatigue towards the end of the set wasn't noticeable at all. Almost 3 hours of headbanging and playing music with no mistakes shows how solid Opeth is. Thank you Opeth for everything.

The Greys said:
That setlist shit on the set when I saw then. No Amen Corner,april ethereal or karma.. no funeral portrait.

I thought the band stopped playing songs from the first two.

Do people really have no idea whatsoever as to what these Chronology shows were about? :erk:

Hands down, the best Opeth Show I've ever seen. The Chronology show was the sixth time I've seen them. The first three tracks were worth the price of admission. I was the guy with the Nevermore shirt at the sound board.

When I found out what the NY set list was, I was hoping for a slightly different set but after witnessing that masterpiece, who could argue with the choice of songs. TNATSW & Amen Corner were mezmerizing to see live.

LA...be prepared to witness sonic greatness in a few weeks!!!!

Opeth....keeping real metal alive!!!!

My boyfriend and I travelled from Florida to see this show. It was worth every penny. We did the "pass the line" thing too, got in that line around 3:00. If anyone wants to know who I am, I'm the girl who was playing the bottle cap game in the front of the line inside. (I definitely owned everyone too)

We sat in the first row, 2nd column (center seats). The setlist was amazing. Fuck everyone that complains about it. I'm wasn't surprised when the first couple of rows of chairs were gone during Demon of the Fall though. Just too much adrenaline to keep us seated for that long, I guess. The only bit of disappointment I had is that To Bid You Farewell wasn't played, but that isn't ever going to happen! I yelled out "Sörskogen." "Why do you have to yell out the most obscure things?" Haha.

As always, the only drawback in every concert I go to is the crowd. Why can't people shut up for 2 seconds? Why did everyone stand up, just because someone yelled "stand up, mother fuckers" and threw the horns? Stupid.

Did anyone happen to get any pictures, by the way?

batastrophe said:
We sat in the first row, 2nd column (center seats). The setlist was amazing. Fuck everyone that complains about it.

Good for you...seriously. Anyone who bitched about not having a seat should have gotten there earlier...

batastrophe said:
The only bit of disappointment I had is that To Bid You Farewell wasn't played, but that isn't ever going to happen!

Well, except for that time I saw them at The Vic Theater in Chicago when they toured with Porcupine Tree... :worship:

batastrophe said:
As always, the only drawback in every concert I go to is the crowd. Why can't people shut up for 2 seconds? Why did everyone stand up, just because someone yelled "stand up, mother fuckers" and threw the horns? Stupid.

There's a fine line between enthusiasm and idiocy. Sadly, it seemed like a lot of people were well over that line last night.