Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

I don't know if I can give you suggestions for Violin. I know that some of your older covers were pretty good though. Practise more?

Strange thing is, I think I have this one down pretty tight :erk: Though more practice is always better.

My older covers were mostly acoustic, I'll try to redo this one with a cleaner sound as Sany suggested, I think the same general tone I use for black metal just doesn't work for Bodom. Will probably upload a new version tomorrow.

Yes. For the song itself, I used another pre-amp model, a compressor, delay and I doubled the guitars (-100,-50,+50,+100). For the terrible bit at the end, I only used amp, preamp and tubescreamer.

Thank you! As easy as that song is, I'm really interested to see Bodom play it live and where it stands on the setlist. I had some problems to hold the tempo through the whole song.

I always found your playing soulless, too much robotic. There is nothing personnal in your cover, I always wonder why everyone is so impressed by your playing. Even that kid has more passion than you. :/

Thank you! As easy as that song is, I'm really interested to see Bodom play it live and where it stands on the setlist. I had some problems to hold the tempo through the whole song.
easy, but well played and nice to listen to. Since I'm only a beginner, it always impresses me;)

I always found your playing soulless, too much robotic. There is nothing personnal in your cover, I always wonder why everyone is so impressed by your playing. Even that kid has more passion than you. :/

Covers usually aren't personal....the whole idea of a cover is to play it(cover it) just like the original. Robotic? What does that mean? That he didn't mess up? I mean a robot would play it perfect if it was programmed to do so. Souless? Well he is z german, and we all know they don't have any souls, so....:D

Everyone is impressed because it sounds good(tone) and his playing is not just good, but great. Most of us on here play guitar and know what it takes to play certain things and how hard they can be, even if they sound easy. Lots of the songs on RRF sound easy, but are not. It, IMO, is one of the harder Bodom albums to play.

Do you play guitar? If so how long?

That kid is good for an 11 year old, that's it. He is no guitar god, his playing is nothing special except he is 11. If he were 30 years old would you still feel that he is this great soulful player? Probably not.

@Arcane....good playing as always and I really liked the tone on this one. One of my favorite things about your tone is that you don't try to use a lot of distortion. It really makes your playing sound clean. I see too many covers where they use way too much distortion and it's usually to cover up their playing in one way or another. I can always tell a good player by the amount of distortion used alone. Can't wait for the new album to come out and see more of your covers.

I understand what somebody said about robotic covers that attempt to do it 100% same as original, there's basically no point listening to them, unless you want to watch how it's played. I'm saying, that what I look for in covers is maybe a different tone, different way of playing things, so I could maybe hear a certain section of a song better, so that there's something different, maybe a completely different sound. Even if the skill is not very good, or quality is weird, it's possible to make a cover that's more interesting than just playing it exactly as the original artist. Those kind of covers tend to annoy players who worked more to get to the required technical level, but you all know I'm more of an atmosphere person than a technical person when it comes to music.

What comes to Arcane's covers, the new ones are more enjoyable for some reason, but you can't expect him to suddenly start playing stuff different and choosing weird sounds, I think he's mostly about the technicality of nailing the original records not worrying about characteristic sound so much. Maybe there are different types of covers made by different kinds of people. I personally would make covers by playing little details of songs in different, interesting ways and choosing some personal sound, even if I couldn't do solos at all.

^ I agree

getting as close to the original version as possible is technically quite a feat,
but if you can somehow make some parts of the song sound better, the cover is amazing.

very nice cover arcane, the solo part is friggin awesome

Covers usually aren't personal....the whole idea of a cover is to play it(cover it) just like the original. Robotic? What does that mean? That he didn't mess up? I mean a robot would play it perfect if it was programmed to do so. Souless? Well he is z german, and we all know they don't have any souls, so....:D

Everyone is impressed because it sounds good(tone) and his playing is not just good, but great. Most of us on here play guitar and know what it takes to play certain things and how hard they can be, even if they sound easy. Lots of the songs on RRF sound easy, but are not. It, IMO, is one of the harder Bodom albums to play.

Do you play guitar? If so how long?

That kid is good for an 11 year old, that's it. He is no guitar god, his playing is nothing special except he is 11. If he were 30 years old would you still feel that he is this great soulful player? Probably not.

@Arcane....good playing as always and I really liked the tone on this one. One of my favorite things about your tone is that you don't try to use a lot of distortion. It really makes your playing sound clean. I see too many covers where they use way too much distortion and it's usually to cover up their playing in one way or another. I can always tell a good player by the amount of distortion used alone. Can't wait for the new album to come out and see more of your covers.

I didn't like the way Arcane talked about that kid. Beside that, he is not in position to say such things. Encouraging the younger generetion would be better, espacially this kid, he is gifted.
When I cover something I try to arrange it, make it in my own way, it's much more fun and entertaining for the viewer.
I don't like watching cover like arcane is doing, it's too close to the original, there's no point listening to it.

It's just that Arcane practised so much time to nail it down, he doesn't like when flashy guys impress regular people with lacking technique on youtube. Surely it's true the kid is good for a 11-year-old, but it doesn't mean he'll become a great songwriter and musician, but signs are impressive. I like encouraging and supporting the younger ones, but I think the limit was crossed when Alexi supported Sturm und Drang and regular people thought they're the next COB (when they're nothing but a bunch of geeky teens who do shit music composed by one of their fathers). Alexi always says good things about other bands, he's very humble and modest, but inside he knows they make shit music and COB is million times better. Arcane should maybe learn this property from Alexi, too. But atmospheric COB covers are still more atmospheric than fucking Sturm und Drang will ever be, so please no argument... not everything is up to opinion.

There isn't anywhere to improvise or add "Soul" in the song anyway. The intro part is already a harmonized guitar line so it'd just sound chaotic to try and play more with it, same with the main riff and chorus. The only spot where he could add soul is the solo and every improvisation I've seen over a Bodom song has sucked. Also we can't see his face, so who knows maybe he plays like Steve Vai and has an orgasm with every note he plays

Also:

Thank you, you are 100% right. The only times he plays with "soul" anyway are the times he starts messing up and has those "oh fuck, oh fuck!" moments

I've told you guys a few times before and also said on my YT channel that my aim is to show people how to play every guitar part. That's why I try to play every note 1:1. I couldn'd care less about statements that I don't play with passion or feeling. That's ridiculous for me and proved me right about some peoples ridiculous and childish attitude.
I'm an advanced guitar player and ripped my ass off to make accurate tabs for you guys in my spare freetime, record covers as good as I can without any wrong notes and a good guitar tone, just to help young guitarists how to play Bodom and then some fags pop in and tell me it's not worth watching my covers because I don't play with feeling AND I play a song 1:1.
I'll tell you what: There's a huge difference if some's playing his own songs live on stage with a big crowd in front of himself or if someone's a bedroom guitarist - like me - who only plays just for fun.

@muffinformyrat: Wait until there are some covers out of that song on YT, ask one of your friends to download 5 of them and then just listen to them (without watching the video) and then tell me if you rather prefer a cover like mine or maybe another one. Because then you can't see if somebody's playing with feeling or not.
And: I always encourage younger people to be better and practise more on guitar. But when somebody's doing mistakes, doesn't play clean, plays sloppy, I don't care how old he is. When someone's playing sloppy, he plays sloppy. Age or short fingers are not an excuse for it. Live with it or leave.

And this: "I don't like watching cover like arcane is doing, it's too close to the original, there's no point listening to it." Wtf?!? Do you want to tell me that my cover is bad because it's *cough* too perfect?

@srob: I'm not a nazi. But I agree with you. And thank you!

@ Joonas: I totally see your point about covers with a different tone or some improvisations and I respect you for your opinion, because you criticise me for being not so much individual, but you also see how much work it was for me to play how I play yet and accept that my focus lies more on an technical aspect.

@ Inceptionist: I totally agree with you. Some songs - especially HOB or Transference don't give you that much room for improvisations and nearly all improvisations in Bodom covers I've seen so far are worse than the original song.

So let me summarize it: Half of you guys like my covers because they are playing -and tone-wise close to the original and half of you don't like them because they are playing -and tone-wise close to the original?