Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Or just about anything by the Amott brothers. They both have perfect vibrato imo, although I've definitely grown out of their music. Bill Steer from Carcass would be another player with great vibrato.

More recently I'd found out about this guy. Probably my favorite lead tone currently. The important thing is to try to have control over your vibrato. Don't let it be a nervous sort of spasmodic twitch that your finger does to accentuate the note. Keep it smooth, going up and down and that will give that nice wide, even effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tGal4P94So&feature=youtu.be

Time to make a new Bodom Cover.
Its not Perfect, but i think its quiet ok ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright so when you listen to a song you can almost always count the tempo as "1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4...." think of that as u use the metronome. Think of the intro melody to Bed of Razors, that's what's called triplets. Just listen to the song and count out the lead notes like "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a". Every tab or whatever that you look at that's triplets, count in that same "1 and a" format and try to hit a different note on every one of those syllables. Sixteenth notes are 4 notes per beat, count them "1 e and a 2 e and a.....". Think of the chugging in the main riff of transference. The MOST IMPORTANT part of using the metronome is to hit every note at the EXACT time and to play it cleanly. If you stick with the metronome for a while trust me, you will know you got better, it's just one of those things.

As for getting bends at the right pitch, do this exercise. Play the 15th fret on the first string, then play the 14th fret and bend it to the EXACT same pitch as the previous note. Do the same but with 19th and 17th fret too. For vibrato, you want bend the string ever so slightly and then RETURN it to the original pitch, lots of people never return it back and it just makes it sound out of tune. Do it slowly. Watch Malmsteen or Vai for good examples of bending and vibrato too

E: Also if you aren't used to using a metronome ever it'll take some time to get used to it so don't worry about it it's normal, just make sure you stick with it. Good luck!

Ahhh, thank you Sany

A good example video for bends and vibrato is the short Hammerfall thing my friend plays. He's got a really nice vibrato technique and can even do high bends and clean vibrato with his forefinger. Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7AYY-5PHk

thx guys for the helpful information ^^

The Sin Trade! One of my favorite songs of Sinergy. That one was really hard to play and it took me hours to record it without a lot of mistakes. I can easily tell that I never played so many wrong notes in a song before (if you followed my "career" you know that I usualy don't play any wrong notes) but I can't play it better at the moment.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvOJVSsZPg0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw[/ame]

nice cover arcane, the plethora of different whammy bar shit in the song is borderline comic at times though

This song grew on me the most from the album and this guy nails the keyboard solo

The Sin Trade! One of my favorite songs of Sinergy. That one was really hard to play and it took me hours to record it without a lot of mistakes. I can easily tell that I never played so many wrong notes in a song before (if you followed my "career" you know that I usualy don't play any wrong notes) but I can't play it better at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvOJVSsZPg0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw

I liked this cover Arcane!:headbang:

I'm not even a big fan of Sinergy, mainly due to the vocals, but the guitar riffs are pretty epic.

I liked you tone a lot as well. Same tone as always or did you change something?

I think I have a different tone in all of my cover because I can't remember my settings of my previous recording and I always forgot to write them down. It's basically always the same amp (since one year) but it really depents on the original song guitar tone. For Sinergy I usually use a really dry tone with less distortion but for Bodom I nearly have my distortion at 100% and I use some other tube screamers, EQ, and so on...

I think I have a different tone in all of my cover because I can't remember my settings of my previous recording and I always forgot to write them down. It's basically always the same amp (since one year) but it really depents on the original song guitar tone. For Sinergy I usually use a really dry tone with less distortion but for Bodom I nearly have my distortion at 100% and I use some other tube screamers, EQ, and so on...

Well...whatever you did...it sounded good.

I think if you used less distortion it might be why I liked it better. The guitar runs sound more articulate with less distortion.