Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

Thanks so much guys! I downloaded reaper and as of yet it doesn't seem to be having that speed up problem.

Now to record some covers hehehehehehe

Wow dude, I must say that that was a great recording. Playing wise you've got some things to improve (for instance the single note riff at 0:30, maybe you should try to palmmute it more or anything, just play with it :p), but it sounds really great. Very nice tone. May I ask what you use to record?

Thanks a lot! I don't know which part of my recording setup you're asking about so I guess I'll just list all of it. I'm using the recording program Reaper as recommended above by the other guys on this thread. I'm using an EMG-HZ H4 pickup into a Line 6 Spider III 120W amp, which through the out port I plug directly into my computer's mic input.

Reaper seems to (dunno if it's just me) have a slight lag while recording, so I have to play ever so slightly ahead of the music I'm playing along with playing through reaper (the backing track). I didn't really get used to that until later in the recording, so earlier parts like the part at 0:30 sound like the timing is off T_T. Oh well, I'll work on my palm muting.

Thanks again :)

You seem to be a bit unlucky when recording :D
I dont have a lag btw, i dont know what may be going on.
It could possibly be the delay of the soundcard which can be set up somewhere in reapers "preferences" i think.
But anyway you did a great recording.

And good news everyone (just kidding) iam going to record a new and good version of cob and probably hcdc tomorrow.
Maybe even The Bitch is Back, but it sucks that there are no backing tracks :(
Maybe some other parts but no whole songs.

I still haven't done Lake Bodom yet, but I'll try and get this one done.

Here's something I was working on earlier:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/osst49

It's the 3rd guitar solo in the Sinergy song, "Wake Up In Hell" and I was thinking of it earlier but couldn't remember how to play it so I learnt it and ended up recording it.

I learnt it on my BC Rich Warlock where the action is superlow so the fast picking things at the end were easy, but then I grabbed my Jackson to record it because it has a better lead tone and the action was wayyy higher so I had a lot of trouble getting them clean. I've lowered it now and can't be bothered re-recording it. I'll probably make a video of it when I'm not dead tired.

I recorded the vid:

It's the whole song this time with all three solos. The first was one (Roope) is crazy 'cuz I only learnt that outro part today. It's got loads of position shifts the way I play it so I was lucky to get it!

zirkonflex: That tone is really great, I look forward to hearing the other recordings!! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch that To Hell And Back recording is awesome! Like I said in my youtube response though, you gotta start recording your covers with a better camera angle so we can see the fretboard on the lower parts ;)

Haha I love the stuff you do messing around at the end.

Nice cover Mitch! Cool playing as always. I really liked the last solo :kickass:

On the ROTWs matter, as Vistaids is getting me really pissed off I won't record until I get back to my place in 2 weeks so I'm just learning the stuff so I can, when I get back , get everything done in 2/3 days. I've already learnt the AYDY thing, the SPFTD solo and the rythm guitars for the PMIB solo :lol: I've found the SPFTD a really cool solo and not really difficult to play (except for the first bar, but it's easy to swap for an easier thing just taking the high E 16th fret out).

Thanks guys!

I recorded a vid, dedicated to orb, cuz I made the effort to show both 1st and 24th fret for the appropriate parts of the song. :lol:

I couldn't find an angle that showed the whole neck from where I was sitting so I did it this way instead.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2VAUXtWP4Wk[/ame]

I wanted something that was quick and easy so I figured this out and here ya go! :kickass:

(Oh yeah, and I only did "that stuff" at the end 'cuz I dropped my pick. :lol: If you watch closely just during those last chords, you'll see a little red thing fall down, haha!)

:lol: Nice vid and cover Mitch! I'm thinking of covering the Kääpiot solo myself, as it's a really cool and easy solo IMO. Just that my cam totally sucks :lol:

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the pick thing at first in the Sinergy vid, :lol:

Haha awesome mitch. I hadn't realized your camera had such a close zoom. I had assumed you just had it zoomed in before cause you didn't want people to see your face or something ;D

Lol I can't believe you dropped your pick, that's hilarious.

Anyways the main reason I really wanted to see the lower fret playing on that song was cause I've noticed a couple of times that you play things in your covers slightly differently from the way you tab them (dunno if you don't practice from your own tabs or if you play fingerings that are more comfortable from what you think alexi does or something) so I enjoy watching to see how you play things as opposed to how you tab them. I just think it's interesting ;)

:lol: Nice vid and cover Mitch! I'm thinking of covering the Kääpiot solo myself, as it's a really cool and easy solo IMO. Just that my cam totally sucks :lol:

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the pick thing at first in the Sinergy vid, :lol:

I'd be interested in seeing that, you should do a vid anyway, something is better than nothing! :kickass: That solo is awesome.

Haha awesome mitch. I hadn't realized your camera had such a close zoom. I had assumed you just had it zoomed in before cause you didn't want people to see your face or something ;D

Lol I can't believe you dropped your pick, that's hilarious.

Anyways the main reason I really wanted to see the lower fret playing on that song was cause I've noticed a couple of times that you play things in your covers slightly differently from the way you tab them (dunno if you don't practice from your own tabs or if you play fingerings that are more comfortable from what you think alexi does or something) so I enjoy watching to see how you play things as opposed to how you tab them. I just think it's interesting ;)

Oh really? Like what, for example? 'Cause I think I pretty much play everything like the tab as far as I can remember but I'm curious as to what I don't. :lol:

^I'll do that Kääpiot vid if I can get my sister to lend me her cam :lol: Because the webcam in my laptop is shit and the image is so bad and slow, besides, Vistaids fucks up the sound :erk: I'll see if I can record it this week. Man loads of things to do this week: start Uni, rip SPFTD vid making off, record Kääpiot solo, learn PMIB solo, try again Blooddrunk intro melody which still defeats me, learn diminished sweeps... Too many stuff for 3 days :lol:

Haha yeah, that's alot!! I wish you all the best of luck!

And as for Kylahullut, I'm gonna try and give scenehuora a shot tomorrow. It's one of my fave (sounds like Gallowmere) and has an awesome phrygian shred solo that'll be hard to copy perfectly all in one take...

Oh really? Like what, for example? 'Cause I think I pretty much play everything like the tab as far as I can remember but I'm curious as to what I don't. :lol:

Hmmm I dunno exactly off hand but here's two examples I remember.

In the main intro to return to the fourth world, according to your tab alexi plays it by hitting 12 with his pinky without changing hand position (i play it this way too), but you play it by moving up to the 9 position rather than staying with your first finger on 7.

I don't remember specific instances off hand, but I watch your GP-1000 tone test v2 vid all the time and I know there are some differences in that vid for sure. That of course could have just been you forgetting the part or something since you said you hadn't practiced those parts in like a year or so. Same goes with that old vid you did of suicide by my side with the scream mask on.

Check my RTTFW tab again, bar 4, it's 12-10-9 on both E & B strings which indicates a position shift. I didn't notate the slide because it ruined the sound.

And I'm positive I play SBMS the same as my tab, because I learnt it after I tabbed it. In the vid, I didn't play every single note because it's very difficult, so I improvised some parts by adding pinches, random slides, or something similar but not exact. It was only because I didn't know it all well enough to play through the whole thing without making one mistake, so I just did my own thing so I could at least finish it.

And GP-1000 sound test vid, I'm sure I play everything the same in that too. Unless you can point something specific out.

And I remembered at work today about the ROTWs, so I'm gonna try and get some of those done this evening.

Maybe I'm just crazy o_O

Oh here's a part. In the sound test recording you play the bitch is back, but on the palm muted verse part, instead of playing 1 3 on the 6th string, it looks like you're playing 8 8 or something definitely higher on the fretboard than 1 3