Chris Lucas - Generic Metalcore Song with Tutorials and Raw files!

Chris Lucas

I DON'T BELIEVE IN MAGIC
Dec 4, 2006
www.chrislucasproductions.com
Edit: I re uploaded the raw tracks, same link.

Raw Tracks: http://goo.gl/mjfsd
Mirror: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3348188/You Die I Cry Raw Wavs w_synth.zip
Tempo is 160bpm

My friend Michael (played all the guitars) and I were recording some stuff for one of my classes when It dawned on us that we could have fun writing ridiculous songs, since between the two of us we could effectively play/write all the parts. We decided it’d be fun to write the most stereotypical, whiny metalcore song we could muster, and this is the result.

At first it was just for fun, but then I though about how people would probably enjoy mixing the tracks themselves. Long story short, I made tutorials on how I mixed it and am letting anyone give it a shot.

In the future, we plan on doing more generic stereotypes of each metal genre, both to promote myself as an engineer, and to give back to the music community via mixing practice and fun songs. I’ll make tutorials for each one to show how the mix techniques change from genre to genre and song to song depending on equipment, arrangement etc.

Recording Notes:

All DIs were recorded straight into my True Precision 8 Preamp using the Hi-z inputs —> Avid HD I/O 32bit floating point 44.1khz

Guitar was recorded with an Ibanez RG series, with an EMG 81 in the bridge.

Bass was an Ibanez BTB series 5 string.

Drum were all SSD4 Midi with the following instrumentation: Kick 10, Snare 11, Quik Toms 1-4 (More details in the tutorials)

I used Lecto for the amp sim and LeCab with Kaltallens IRs as the cab impulse.
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
http://cabs.kalthallen.de/

Vox were recorded with a Beta 57 into a MobilePre Interface. Recorded In Micheal’s bedroom. For the next songs we’re going to be using a slightly better signal chain than that :p
Main Vox – Michael Markie
Bgs – Chris Lucas, David Neyland, Colin Ring (Death Vox)

Tutorials:

Have fun! Go nuts!

Next in line is a tech death song :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that!!! i'll give it a try tomorrow :) can i have the screaming vocals lyrics to record some vocals of mine?

edit: mate the rar file is corrupted can u please fix it?

No problem!

Yeah sure, the lyrics are terrible as fuck on purpose.:puke:

You broke my heart (and threw it away)
Tore me apart (no words left to say)
You broke my heart (and threw it away)
Tore me apart (no words left to say)

Bitch, why did you steal the key to my heart. You're the glue that kept me from falling apart

I struggle for air and reach for the sky
I yearn for death, I can't win this fight
Hide your face in a veil of sorrow
You die tonight I cry tomorrow

You fucked my life (and left me alone)
You twist the knife (and cut to the bone)
You fucked my life (and left me alone)
You twist the knife (and cut to the bone)

Repeat pre chorus and chorus

This is a great idea and also will definitely be of great help for a lot of people here, including myself, so thanks a lot to the both of you :)!

EDIT: It seems like the DI's file is really corrupted though. I've tried to download it a couple of times but didn't work. So if by any chance you could re-upload it that would be great!

it's almost ready mate!! i'll look up for mistakes or anything i will make master and i will upload when i finish it ;) i added some synth parts and some new vocals ;)

*ps: please track 4 guitars at the next song! you play very tight and if you do this you can have better mix :D

hello mate!! here is my mix!! i suck at mastering,i think that i remove a lot of lows... but anyway,tell me your opinion please :)

i am new at mixing*

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is audible but doesn't seem glued together all that much. Some elements stick out too much for my taste, but you're headed in the right direction for sure :D. I gotta listen to it at home before I give you more specific advice ^_^

No idea why but I can't seem to download the zip file. Download always stops at around 100mb. Anyone has an alternate link to the zip file?

Pretty cool stuff man! So much attention to detail for a "joke song" hahaha. I don't think I have it in me to side chain MultiBand for anything that I wasn't going to copywright haha, but I dig your methods, especially with the drum bussing. I have the same approach except I like to throw the CLA-76 on them and push the input which gives my shells the slight effect of a 707 layer underneath. Can't wait to see the next one!

No idea why but I can't seem to download the zip file. Download always stops at around 100mb. Anyone has an alternate link to the zip file?

I just downloaded the whole thing without issue from that link. Not sure what's up :(.

SickRoker, the drums in your mix are cool but I feel like the cymbals need to fill out the air a bit more. That and the guitars could pushed up a bit :D