Chuck's former bands

one man

Jul 4, 2002
Poland
Visit site
I've always wondered if his older bands (Rampage and Guilt I believe the names were) have ever released a demo or something. Has anyone had the opportunity to hear these bands back in the day? Were these "serious" bands or just garage ones. Have they ever existed? I'm just curious. It'd be nice to hear Chuck's earliest days as a singer

Do you know if they had ever recorded? The only things I could find about these two were that Rampage was a speed metal act, while Guilt was more commercial (rock)

I've stumbled upon a dead link to Guilt's demo from 1984 here http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/2010/03/guilt-usa-ca-demo-1984.html. According to Metal-Archives Chuck played guitar in Guilt http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Guilt/115577. I'm guessing that was in addition to him singing (the music was glam, basing on what Chuck, Alex and Zetro* said), which sounds probable given that Chuck has been often saying he started as a guitar player, and still can play some basic stuff on guitar (BTW, ever wondered if that's why he has a writing credit on "Absence of Light"?). The band is said to have comprised also the aforementioned Danny Gill (who apparently was a Satriani student and has been giving guitar lessons himself, including to Alex Skolnick - I think Alex said it was through Danny that he met Chuck; he was also seen in Hericane Alice, Medicine Wheel and Joacim Cans) and one of Chuck's brothers, Andy.

Their song, "Down to the city", was featured on Shrapnel's "U.S. Metal vol. IV" compilation from 1984.

Anyone had a chance to listen to this stuff? After the DDP albums we can at least have some notion of how Rampage may have sounded like. There's no such hints as regards Guilt unfortunately.

*Here's a cool excerpt from a recent interview with Zet, concerning his history with Chuck:

I believe your friendship with Chuck Billy, of Testament, goes a long way back in time. How did you get to know him?

I first met Chuck in 1974 – I think I was 10 years old and he was 12. His father was a baseball coach and we all grew up in Dublin [a region of the San Francisco Bay area in California, south of Berkley]. Everybody knew Mr Billy so you knew all the Billy brothers because they played baseball. My brother John actually went to school with Chuck and he was always playing baseball with Chuck. So I’ve always known the Billys. Then around 1979/1980 there was a few of us who had started playing music and getting into bands and I got closer to Chuck due to that. When I left Legacy to join Exodus, I told Chuck that Legacy were looking for a singer. At that time Chuck played in a sort of Glam band called Guilt with Danny Gill, an amazing guitar player. His brother Andy had played bass.

So I convinced Chuck to try out with Legacy and when I joined Exodus I even went to some rehearsals of Legacy with Chuck and sang the songs through with him so he knew where I was coming from. Because pretty much all the songs on the first Testament album are songs that I wrote.

[When Chuck Billy took Zetro’s place at Legacy, the band changed their name to Testament. Interestingly, many years later Andy Billy was to play again with his brother Chuck in the band Dublin Death Patrol.]

Chuck Billy has done great – he is Testament. Today you can’t think of Testament and not think of Chuck Billy. And I’m happy for him – we both grew up together and we’ve both done well in the music business.

Why had you left Legacy and opted to join Exodus instead?

I think at the time Exodus sounded so brutal and the opportunities to play with a band like that were very few. Besides, I wasn’t sure if anything was going to happen with Legacy - we didn’t even have an album out. When I had the opportunity to play with Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt and Tom Hunting and sing about murder, gore, rape…..fuckin’ hell, I told them where do I sign up?

And I never regretted my decision. After all in the end everything turned out well for everyone. I myself am considered a legend with Thrash Metal and Exodus. Chuck Billy is considered a Thrash legend with Testament. History has brought us all together and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Guys, you'd better sit back and listen to Chuck in GUILT.... 1984! (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Guilt/Demo/182111)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0WsMO6G__U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxGxrAjexA
Can't find the third song, "You Got Me Running".

Hopefully, someone puts some Rampage out there for us to listen one day too. That will be harder.

EDIT: some people have been posting the whole 3-song demo for download. Don't know if the links are safe and if the copyrights owners have authorized that, so I haven't downloaded it. Should Chuck approve, I'll do that :). BTW, someone should ask him about both bands of his youth, how much stuff he recorded with them as a singer and/or guitarist, etc.

http://heavymetalrarities.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9294#ex1
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a0ll8l7pzpb05k8/1984-Demo.rar

You can see Danny Gill's FB site here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danny-Gill/353454625113.

Wow Holy shit oneman! Now that's a find. Well it's not as cheesy as I thought it would be! I know some people back in the day ( friends only lol ) called him Chucky cheese.
Crazy man, great find!!

Ok, Red hot lover is a bit cheesy lol

Good thinking ;)

By the way in case you didn't know. Chucky Cheese is a mostly kids themed pizza place with video games and things like that. The mascot is a nappy ass rat lol
But I'm not sure if that is part of the old nickname haha

Oh, thanks for the explanation. I figured it must have been some sort of a cartoon hero. I imagine only friends would dare to call him that. Normally, it's either Chuck or the Dog Faced God. Oh, I forgot - Phil Anselmo calls him Charles William :D

Some interesting quotes concerning Chuck's beginning in Legacy and end in Guilt:

“When 'Zetro' insisted I call Alex Skolnick and put myself forward, I wasn’t too sure,” admits Chuck. “I was older than them and came from a classic rock background. I was into UFO, Thin Lizzy and the Scorpions. What they did was a new world for me.

“I’d started out as a guitarist, and when I became a singer, I took lessons, enrolled in college courses to learn everything I could about being a vocalist. Then my teacher told me there was nothing more he could show me, and that the best thing I could do was join a band that wasn’t just made up of my friends, so I decided to phone Alex and agreed to go for an audition.”

Chuck met his future bandmates in a rehearsal space that was so small he ended up singing in the hallway. Impressed with their demo, he sang the quartet of songs on the tape, and brought his own more melodic style to their heavy approach. But the band were still a little unsure whether he was the right man.

“To be honest, we couldn’t make up our minds,” admits Eric. “We thought he sounded like Rob Halford on the Priest song Rapid Fire, but we still had some doubts. So, the four of us agreed to go down and see his band, Guilt, playing at a local gig.”

Once they’d seen Chuck onstage, though, Legacy knew he was the right man for them.

“Guilt sounded like Ratt and were all pretty boys. Then you had this huge figure in the middle of the stage wearing a trench coat and calling everyone a pussy!” smirks Eric. “We knew that he was so wrong for that band and belonged with us. We were all a bit scared of him, and because he was a few years older, one or two guys in Legacy were unsure, but I talked them into taking the risk.”"]“When 'Zetro' insisted I call Alex Skolnick and put myself forward, I wasn’t too sure,” admits Chuck. “I was older than them and came from a classic rock background. I was into UFO, Thin Lizzy and the Scorpions. What they did was a new world for me.

“I’d started out as a guitarist, and when I became a singer, I took lessons, enrolled in college courses to learn everything I could about being a vocalist. Then my teacher told me there was nothing more he could show me, and that the best thing I could do was join a band that wasn’t just made up of my friends, so I decided to phone Alex and agreed to go for an audition.”

Chuck met his future bandmates in a rehearsal space that was so small he ended up singing in the hallway. Impressed with their demo, he sang the quartet of songs on the tape, and brought his own more melodic style to their heavy approach. But the band were still a little unsure whether he was the right man.

“To be honest, we couldn’t make up our minds,” admits Eric. “We thought he sounded like Rob Halford on the Priest song Rapid Fire, but we still had some doubts. So, the four of us agreed to go down and see his band, Guilt, playing at a local gig.”

Once they’d seen Chuck onstage, though, Legacy knew he was the right man for them.

“Guilt sounded like Ratt and were all pretty boys. Then you had this huge figure in the middle of the stage wearing a trench coat and calling everyone a pussy!” smirks Eric. “We knew that he was so wrong for that band and belonged with us. We were all a bit scared of him, and because he was a few years older, one or two guys in Legacy were unsure, but I talked them into taking the risk.”

I recommend checking the whole thing out. Some cool stories about the old days you might not have heard:

https://www.teamrock.com/features/2014-04-21/the-knowledge-testament

Oh, thanks for the explanation. I figured it must have been some sort of a cartoon hero. I imagine only friends would dare to call him that. Normally, it's either Chuck or the Dog Faced God. Oh, I forgot - Phil Anselmo calls him Charles William :D

Hahaha Phil is usually good for a laugh! :devil:

And ya I'm sure only VERY close friends lol

I wouldn't know where to put it either. Not a side project, not just Thrash since it concerns Chuck... New Testament Album?:tickled:

Anyway, I'm glad he didn't get that job.