Recomend bands! (Kata-sounding or not)

Argyle

Über Cardinal
Jan 7, 2004
Pori/Turku, Finland
www.dismay.cjb.net
There was a thread a while back where people recomended Katatonia sounding bands and there where huge lists of band names. Of course I was stupid enough not to write down any of those names... So if you people are up to it, I'd like to hear all that again.

I know the basics, but there is always new and more underground names that me and maybe most of the people might not know about yet.

And of course it might be fun to take the listing a step further and just write down a bunch of bands that are your personal favourites, if it's not too much of a hassle.

Oh yeah, and PLEASE do write some short of a short description of the bands that you recomend! It's easier for people to pick out the ones they might be interested in when there are some basic facts (or just a genre of some sort) presented.

LoboUivante said:
about middle katatonia, i recommend lilitu...
feelings: red house painters, ... i'm tired. i'm going to sleep but at least i tried.

Tired yes. School in about 8 hours. I need atleast 9 hours of sleep just to avoid a whole day of walking in a coma... So I'm screwed already.

Thank you for your input. Heard a song of lilitu just now, and their singer sounded kinda like Ville Valo from HIM, but the music was heavier. Not my cup of tea. Red house painters, I'll check that out tomorow.

Any genre at all? Or just metal?

Anyway, Katatonia-sounding bands I love would be Porcupine tree, My dying bride and Anathema.
Swallow the sun are awesome as well.

If you're interested in some great hiphop I'd recommend aesop rock and el-p from Definitive Jux label. http://www.definitivejux.net for samples.
Awesome, innovative hiphop. Not your basic 50-cent clones.

For reggae I'd recommend Groundation and Tanya Stephens. Both are more to the pop-side of reggae. They're not "roots reggae", which would be the reggae version of black metal's "true necro kvlt" :)

I also like 70's soul and I'd put Curtis Mayfield as my favorite artist. Guess he doesn't need a further introduction.

Sorry if I misinterpreted the topic, but it was any genre right? :)

Red House Painters are quite possibly the saddest sounding band I have ever heard in a few songs....Mark Kozelek is a fekkin genius....he also has a band called Sun Kill Moon....it took me a while to get into RHP...... a few of the songs hit me immediately.....
for folkish style I think Gary Jules is the shit.....he lives in Hollywood California and writes about general life shit.....alot about addiction....which I find interesting.....

I have to throw the band Aborym out there....just because for industrial Blackmetal they are awesome....they do not sound like Katatonia... :err:

Well, there are a few Katatonia-influenced bands, I'd say the best are Rapture and Daylight Dies.

A few other albums which made me happy this year were:

Jesu - Post-Godflesh Justin Broadrick, out on Hydra Head. Great album, very moody and intense.

http://www.avalancheinc.co.uk/jesu.html

Thralldom - Black Sun Resistance

Wonderfully great Black Metal thrown out by the guy behind Doomsters Unearthly Trance. Raw and vicious, and intelligent - which is horribly uncommon for that kind of music. Out on Swedish underground label Total Holocaust Records.

Lurker of Chalice - S/T

No, it's not really Black Metal. At least there are only about two tracks which could qualify. Lots of atmosphere, sounds somewhere like a mix between Blut Aus Nord and Fields of the Nephilim, with some Dark Ambient thrown in. Very tasty stew. Avaiable in the US via Southern Lord.

I guess Southern Lord might also stock Thralldom, as the label cooperates with Total Holocaust Records.

Argyle said:
Tired yes. School in about 8 hours. I need atleast 9 hours of sleep just to avoid a whole day of walking in a coma... So I'm screwed already.

Thank you for your input. Heard a song of lilitu just now, and their singer sounded kinda like Ville Valo from HIM, but the music was heavier. Not my cup of tea. Red house painters, I'll check that out tomorow.

Ok, I'm going to try and give more suggestions this time.
About lilitu, yeah... the vocals of the second album is a little too much goth, fortunately they are only on the second album. the first is more progressive (try dead yesterday) but is too much raw. the latest, is more open and less instrumental. try "delores lesion" or "follow through", although my personal favorite was "unwill" and " Unhallowed Be Thy Shame". But if it's not your thing... once i was deeply into melancholic depressing music, i'll share some of my knowledge.

if you want complete depression and utter void, try Sopor Aeternus being the song... May I kiss Your Wound?... from then on, you'll get the picture.

Must get anathema, middle period... being with alternative 4. The thing is that i don't know if you like heavy metal, if you do try Serenades era with Crestfallen, The Silent Enigma.

My Dying Bride... Turn Loose the Swans is a widely known album... but from them, i suggest For My Fallen Angel (song).

Now, if you want despair... At the Gates (terminal spirit disease), Paradise Lost is you want to know where katatonia's former guitar leads come from(gothic).

Lacrimas Profundere is absolute melancholy and oppresion (faery's breath (song), memorandum(album)... but beware with their later era, goth/rock... yuk!

Red House Painters, i'm hooked on this song called Katy Song... but i try not to listen to it, the impact is overwhelming. Sun Kil Moon is good also, but i need time, and it didn't feel like it is going to have the sentimental impact as Red House Painters.

And since I'm on softer kinds of music, try Nick Drake (time of no reply), Eva Cassidy (... so many actually, but Autumn Leaves, Time after Time, etc etc..) Don Mclean (Crossroads, Empty Chairs), Heather Nova (Island, Walking Higher).

Now some carbon copies of Katatonia or "evolutions" of the same: Daylight Dies, Rapture, October Tide, Provenance, Shape of Despair... 20 more are being created as I write this).

peace

Candlemass - Traditional doom, in the Sabbath-vein. I can't get enough of them

Novembers Doom - Underrated band from Chicago, in the death/doom genre. Many compare them to My Dying Bride and Opeth

Jasonic said:
Novembers Doom - Underrated band from Chicago, in the death/doom genre. Many compare them to My Dying Bride and Opeth

I agree.

Check out their latest album from The End Records, "The Pale Haunt Departure". It features an excellent production from a name that all Katatonia fans should be familiar with, Dan Swanö. Their forum is also here on UM.

Possibly the closest Katatonia sounding record I have heard is "Butterflies" from Diabolique, it is very different from the earlier stuff they did. It is fucking fantastic! I particularly recommend the track "Rain". Again this band hail from Sweden and is the brainchild of Kristian Wåhlin (better known as Necrolord)... he will feature in your music collection somewhere already in one capacity of another...

For "The Pale Haunt Departure": www.theendrecords.com and select "mpiii" to hear track 2 of this album.

For "Butterflies", check: http://cgi.ebay.com/DIABOLIQUE-Butt...goryZ307QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

Thanks everyone! Goddamn. This time I'm actually writing this shit down. Alot of stuff to go through, but keep on posting more. I'm actually collecting a list of what to buy on a text file, and it has already something like a couple of hundred bands in it. So when I'm old and grey I'll know what to buy to entertain myself. I wish I had the time and money for all this stuff right now, but as a student, no chance. At least I know there is a big bunch of good albums just waiting for me to hear them.

ott0 said:
Sorry if I misinterpreted the topic, but it was any genre right?

Every genre is right on the money. What the hell, if it's good music it's good. I'll go for good rap, good black metal, good singer/songwriter-stuff, what ever, as long as it doesn't suck :)

Checked out el-p and aesop, el-p sounded damn good for rap. November Doom was ok, but a bit too doomy for me maybe. Jesu sounded nice also, fucken' weird stuff, but that's the way I like it.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, there was a band mentioned that was atleast supposed to be the one major influence behind Katatonias current sound. What the hell was that one named?

Oh yeah, maybe I should put up a list of my own too.
Some of these might be a bit prefered tastes, so try out some mp3's, don't trust my opinions. (But i still have to remind you that I'm right ;) )

First off metalbands:
No need to go through the normal kata, opeth, mdb, dark tranquillity, moonspell -list. So I'll put down a few finnish bands that you might not have heard of:
Diablo is considered the next big thing from Finland by the local press. Old school metal combined with a new school sound and innovative guitarplaying works for me. Also the singer slays, he has just the right sound between growling and clean vocals. Clean vocals with and edge, something in vein of Anselmo in Pantera. Diablo Try out the samples from the disco-section. In flesh and The Preacher will knock you out of your boots.

Babylon Whores have always been one of my favourites. Singer Ike Vil sounds like Elvis from hell. You either love him or hate him. Their music is described as deathrock. Occultistic lyrics and some evil rock riffs and big guitarwalls. They've been on a break for a while. Best album would be King Fear in my opinion and the homepages are as messed up as their music and lyrics.Deggael.com

Two more bands. Somewhat progressive and melancholic death metal, Insomnium and the same progressive and melancholic sound with clean vocals Fall of the Leafe

On the rock/stoner side of things:
Check out at least Blake. A finnish stonerish band with a singer sounding a bit like a mix between Danzig and Peter Steele or something. Cosmic shit. New album came out I think to day, but the second one Starbringer, was already fucken' awesome. Unfortunately no mp3's on the site. Manisaplanet.com

Others, well, Spiritual Beggars rule, with Michael Amott from Arch Enemy on guitar and the new Opeth keyboardist playing hammond organs. Basic groovy as hell stoner rock. And for the ultimate rock'n'roll experience Monster fucking Magnet! Wyndorf is a god! But you knew that already, didn't you ;)

Then off to the weird shit:
Tom Waits is one of my all time favourites. This man must be a fuckin' mess in the head. But he still manages to write the most inspiring songs and lyrics. Some of his stuff is way out there, and then the next song can be the most beautiful thing you've ever heard. Try out "No One Knows I'm Gone". 1:40 minutes of perfect beauty. Or maybe it's just me.

Mr. Bungle is good for deranged moment with more energy and Portishead is one of my newer foundings for the sleepier times. Actually almost everything with Mike Patton works, as long as you don't touch his soloalbums, they are just too weird, atleast for me. Faith no More, Tomahawk (messed up version of Faith no More), Lovage (adult oriented trip-hop), Fantomas (Director's cut album with heavier versions of movie themes is the best one I think) and the list goes on.

Then last but not the least, or maybe the least, rap.
I personally like finnish stuff way more then american hip hop. Don Johnson Big Band is an awesome band on record and live. On record they make this gloomy sounding hip hop with elements from where ever. At best their music is like walking in a big city when there is no-one else out and it's pouring rain. They do have party songs in their set too, and I personally like them also. You can't be slitting your wrists all the time, can you? DJBB The pages are in finnish, put try out the audio/video-section.

Then two, let's say, more traditional rap-artists from Finland. Paleface and Redrama. Paleface has two albums out, but the second one wasn't that good, redrama just came out with his second one, I haven't heard it yet. Both of their first albums are great though! Organic backgrounds made with real instrument mixed with loops and samples make these guys sound better than anything else in rap I have heard.
REdrama Unfortunately no samples again, and Paleface doesn't even have his homepage up, which is pathetic considering he's already done two albums and everything.

Oh yeah, and new one's under the rap category: Non Prophets and Sage Francis. They sound good so far, but haven't had too much time to listen to the albums yet.

Damn, a monsterpost! Went on a rant there again... Probably did no good to anyone... Well, I had fun writing it.

I only recommended Katatonia resembling bands, i must update it after i study (who am i kidding ;)). Anyway, you know fall of the leafe, what a great great band, but only on their 2 more recent albums have they forgotten their blackish screams... very progressive and melodic, a must have for anyone who likes good music, and good metal. Try out Epoch of Unlight for times of early At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity.

(Deliverance, i'm listening to Sun Kil Moon, and this is very good... this Mike Koselek (yeah! i don't know his name, and i'm too lazy to look it on your post) seems to have something going on.

Argyle said:
Oh yeah, and one more thing, there was a band mentioned that was atleast supposed to be the one major influence behind Katatonias current sound. What the hell was that one named?

yeah, Paradise Lost came with the lead guitar sound, and it is said that Anders idolized their Gothic album. (i recomend Icon and Draconian Times for beginners)

I know that most of the guys in Katatonia have shit-tons of respect for Jeff Buckly as well....he is an incredibly emotional singer....one of the best if not the best in his Genre.....

For something a little off kilter (is that really a word?) maybe try Murder by Death or The Notwist......

Agents of Oblivion (Daxx Riggs from Acid Bath)
Deadboy and the elephant men (also Dax from Acid bath)
Acid Bath(suprisingly has Dax in it....he is fekkin awesome....)
Aeon Spoke (the guys from Cynic)- very mellow....Paul Masvidal wrote it while working as a music therapist for people who were dying....
Arab Strap.....very weird...and yet not so weird....I would recommend the song-Girls Of Summer-
God Speed You Black Emperor--Mellow and trance inducing?
Has anyone mentioned Kent yet? a little poppy...but still real good
Rain Paint- I just bought one of their CDs and it is pretty good in alot of ways....kind of like katatonia I guess...
Sigur Ros--they are just awesome....and a new CD coming out in a couple days
Subterranean Masquerade---Tomer formerly from The End records with Jake, and then Paul from Novembers doom.....violins....so good
Will Oldham--Jonas is big into this guy....Katatonia covers a song by him...he has many names...google him...
Again I want to say Gary Jules.....because he is one of my favorites....

I dont know how many of these sound like Katatonia...but these are all bands I like...

I'd say Klimt 1918 also, but I prefer more their debut album "Undressed momento" and promo "Secession makes post-modern music". They've got a little bit from gothic bands and Katatonia and Anathema I guess. The new album sounds more like U2 though.
And other band I'd recommend is Novembre, they've got great atmospheric stuff mixed with death metal and stuff. Many of you probably think first of Opeth but they don't have that much in common.

Demoband extravaganza!

ok.. first of all, i have to recomend my own old band, in spiritside dreaming.
http://listen.to/in_spiritside_dreaming
we have split up, so nothing more will be released, but ppl compared us to katatonia and anathema..

Coy
http://www.coy.se/
this band i one of the most interesting demobands i have ever heard.
melancholic poprock. if they dont get signed soon, il start a label and sign them myself.
the world deserves coy.

solewire
http://www.solewire.com/
progressive rock with a hint of powermetal. awesome musicians makes awesome music.

Kung Henry den värsta
http://www.kunghenry.tk/
Awesome swedish hiphop guy. The only hiphop i like.
he writes mostly in swedish though.. but he is a real wordtwister =)

no more for now.

Divatkreació said:
I'd say Klimt 1918 also, but I prefer more their debut album "Undressed momento" and promo "Secession makes post-modern music". They've got a little bit from gothic bands and Katatonia and Anathema I guess. The new album sounds more like U2 though.
And other band I'd recommend is Novembre, they've got great atmospheric stuff mixed with death metal and stuff. Many of you probably think first of Opeth but they don't have that much in common.

aren't you speaking of Novembra? cause two guys from Klimt 1918 come from Novembra.

Novembra opened for Opeth a few years ago during the tour.

between, i met Klimt last summer at the Mera Luna, they're also very nice guys :headbang: