Circus Maximus?!

PrgrsveMetalnChains

Vocal Prince
Jun 18, 2007
FWB, FL
So I heard a song by these guys awhile back and just kinda blew it off..until recently I went back, sat down and carefully listened to both of their albums, the newer one Isolate a bit more, and I must say they are fucking good.

While the vocalist sounds a bit more like Labrie/Kahn, he still kicks ass and has a bit more balls to his voice than those singers.

I recommend Mouth of Madness as the first listen if you are new to the band...it reminds me a bit of the Odyssey having quite a few changes to mix the song up. Either way I won't ramble too much but I am curious to know what others think...I am just happy I gave these guys another listen, WELL worth it in my opinion..hopefully they have a future among Prog Metal.

Few tracks that stood out for me besides Mouth of Madness:
Isolate Album:
Abyss (Mediocre song but something sticks out for me)
Wither (Love the keys in this one, Reminiscent of Wicked)
Arrival of Love (Upbeat Powerhouse of a song)

1st Chapter Album:
Biosfear (A Great Instrumental)
Glory of the Empire (Amazing song, Reminiscent of Accolade II)
Why Am I Here
Imperial Destruction (Nice driving chunky rhythms...hard song.

I like The Prophecy and Ultimate Sacrifice best. As a whole they are sort of inconsistent, though, and a lot of their music is mimicking cliches, which even though they do it well is still sort of annoying...

"Not to be a dick, but what's with the inconsistent behaviour regarding threads about other bands here?"

-shrug- I figured I would bring up a subject I wanted to share with others and wanted to hear some opinions other than my own...no other place to put it really; and I know the people on this forum better than the CM forums - just sharing tastes in artists.

"As a whole they are sort of inconsistent, though, and a lot of their music is mimicking cliches, which even though they do it well is still sort of annoying..."

I will agree that a lot of their stuff seems to be very cliche...that's why as of right now I only really enjoy about 4 songs off of each album the rest I think are cliche filler. They are quite talented though...its a nice change from my overplayed S-X and AiC stuff :D

Not to be a dick, but what's with the inconsistent behaviour regarding threads about other bands here?

If a thread comes across like 'hey have you heard these guys? what did you think?' (as this one does) it gets to stay..when they come across in a spammy way, then they're considered promotion & belong in the promotion thread.

These guys have grown to be one of my favorite metal bands since I heard them for the first time back in 2007.

"I will agree that a lot of their stuff seems to be very cliche"

That might be true, but damn when it's done so well I couldn't care less.
I do agree with their inconsistency though; some songs are amazing whereas others could be qualified as fillers (but still damn good for fillers).

If they can put out a solid, consistent album next year...that's going to be an outstanding year.

Great musicians, not enough personal identity, some awkward changeups, still enjoy listeneing to the two CDs of thiers I have. Its best if not played directly behind a DT or SX album

Great musicians, not enough personal identity, some awkward changeups, still enjoy listeneing to the two CDs of thiers I have. Its best if not played directly behind a DT or SX album

Agreed...way too derivative. Cloning of Romeo's guitar tone & a basic "steal" of Rudess' key patch is just more than l can handle

They just don't strike me as anything great. I realize i'm in the minority here :lol:

l join you in the club...there's just better out there. The singer is the only standout.

well I wouldnt pour the hate on that hard, I can hear "them" but I can also hear that they spent too much time as a DT/SX cover band. Still theres bits and pieces here and there that have a pretty good origional twist to them. The guitar player also throws out some pretty clean lickage... which Zach should like plenty... ho ho ho

Love this band
I think there coming into there own more and more
Great vocals (One of my favs right now) and musicianship all around can't wait to see what they do next!!

I LOVE CM! Pretty classy prog metal, imo. The only thing bringing them down a notch for me is the drumming. The guy's a great drummer, and in no way is the drumming bad on the two discs... I just find the drumming a little too "metal", and the drum tones (especially the bass drum) are not to my tastes. I much prefer drumming like Gavin Harrison's, from Porcupine Tree. More feeling, and dynamics, and great drum tone. Another mention would be Martin's drumwork from Ghost Reveries album.
I'm nowhere near as good a drummer as CM's drummer, and I'm sure he's capable of what I'm speaking of... just sayin'...

Agreed...way too derivative. Cloning of Romeo's guitar tone & a basic "steal" of Rudess' key patch is just more than l can handle

l join you in the club...there's just better out there. The singer is the only standout.
lol pretty much only two or three of his sounds sound anything like a Rudess patch, he's more a mix between Andromeda's keyboardist (tentency to use preset or thin sounds on occasion) and Pinnella (style and composition)

i really love this band though, one of my top 5 prog bands.

One of the few Prog. bands I have heard that keep it very metal. Shit like Imperial Destruction and Mouth of Madness; christ - hopefully these guys continue to evolve. Apparently a new CD is due this year which will be great!

I like Circus Maximus, but at times they sound a bit too Dream Theater-esque for my tastes (and not in a good way).

Favorite songs:

Alive
Glory of the Empire
A Darkened Mind
From Childhood's Hour
Ultimate Sacrifice