City life or Country Life?

Urban or Rural?

• Total voters

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Or TOURING life?!
I think we all know what we would all choose.
But let's get an Urban vs Rural debate up in here, where would you rather live?
In the city where everything is expensive, but packed with people and all your conveniences are close, and things are very exciting.
Or rural life where you can get some peace and quiet, own a big piece of land, and look up at the stars at night?

I'm from the suburbs and personally, I think I'm a rural person. However, I would enjoy living in the city for a moment in time just to see what it's like. What about all you?

I went to school outside of the city but have lived in London all my life.
If I'm honest, people I've met from small towns/the countryside have always been very awkward, bordering on retarded.
The sort of people who try really hard to impress others in a sort of "my mate Dave can run the 100m in 7 seconds" kind of way, to the point where its actually quite uncomfortable.
That's based on tens of people btw, not just one or two.

Because I spent most of my school time in a pretty rural area, I can definitely say that being able to run around fields/woods shooting shit with air-rifles is way better than being confined to a park though.

For me it's right where I live: on the edge of both. I live in a small city near Denver Colorado. I have 5 minutes away from my home: all the big box stores, great restaurants, world class breweries, cute boutiques. In a thirty minute drive I can be at world class restaurants, the opera, art museums, all the major league sports events, more world class breweries (this is Colorado after all), the international airport to be anywhere in the world, or in bear country, world class rock climbing, 14,000 foot mountains, pure wilderness, some of the best ski areas in the world ... it's everything I could want. 500 feet from my front door is open space for miles where the foxes and coyotes come through my yard and bald eagles, golden eagles and hawks regularly circle over my house. Yeah, it sucks to live here.

Countryside = great for making noise, terrible socially.
City = shit for making noise, great socially.

For me it's right where I live: on the edge of both. I live in a small city near Denver Colorado. I have 5 minutes away from my home: all the big box stores, great restaurants, world class breweries, cute boutiques. In a thirty minute drive I can be at world class restaurants, the opera, art museums, all the major league sports events, more world class breweries (this is Colorado after all), the international airport to be anywhere in the world, or in bear country, world class rock climbing, 14,000 foot mountains, pure wilderness, some of the best ski areas in the world ... it's everything I could want. 500 feet from my front door is open space for miles where the foxes and coyotes come through my yard and bald eagles, golden eagles and hawks regularly circle over my house. Yeah, it sucks to live here.

It is a pretty amazing place to live, but you didn't include dealing with prairie dogs, hipsters, and homeless people.

Funny about the big box stores thing. They multiply like gremlins. Pretty soon your house will be on the edge of the parking lot no matter where you are.

America is turning into a giant strip mall.

Currently enjoying country living, although it takes a quarter of a tank of gas just to do anything remotely social.

Lived in a city all my life but spent alot of time in the countryside growing up , moved out of town 2years ago and loving it . Built a studio in my barn which sits in the most ridiculously idyllic spot 1 mins walk from my house . I have a pretty big garden which is great and my dogs are happy but it is a real pita to mow . Feel pretty content here and only 20 mins drive to the sea and my hometown .

Isn't this a matter of degrees? I'm picturing choosing between Manhattan and Montana and I honestly wouldn't want either long term (even though both would be fun for a while).

I've lived rurally all my life. I want to make a living being a mix engineer full time so recording the soggy bottom boys and whatever kid with a ripped off beat around here ain't gonna cut it. I plan on moving somewhere with more demand for my line of work. I'd have to say somewhere in the middle is best though. Living 5 min outside of city limits is the best of both worlds imo.

Grew up in the city (The Hague), when I was 15 I moved to country side, always wanted to go back, but when I started to study in the city again I noticed how peaceful countrylife is. Once I got my diploma I moved back to the country side.
Bought a house there, built my project studio.

If I want to feel the flow of the city I have enough friends there to visit and go out with.

I always lived in town in small places with fucking retarded neighbors. I'll move later this year with wife in a lovely and big house outside. Totally rural shit, big space for my stuff and I can't wait! Tour was a part of my life a few years back, it was fun sometimes but I don't wanna it anymore.

it really, really depends on which city and which region, still voted for rural.
Lived in a small town (almost village for everyone from the USA) and almost in the last house :D but I hated
it, really disliking this town, no way I ever would live there, moved to the biggest city in this state, had some
pros, but I still hated living there, too.
Now I live in a city with around 90k citizens, not really large but you have everything you need and can walk
there, it's a beautiful city, the airport is a 10 min drive away, beautiful rural places all around, so I don't feel
like living in a huge city or anything like that, pretty relaxing.

But due to the fact that I want to move to Denmark in the future and that I already went there about 15 times
I really like both of it, Copenhagen seems to be a great city to live but there's no way I could ever live in Paris
for example.
On the other hand, all the little places in Denmark are awesome, nice people, you can get everywhere fast and
it's just beautiful and you can do whatever you want.

I think the best thing for myself would be, living in a town like the one I am living in, not that far away from a
bigger city if you want to visit one and being able to travel.

i grew up and lived in a rather small city, but 5 years ago i moved into a small house in a small viallage on the countryside and i really enjoy it there, i would love to go even further and buy/build a house somewhere at the end of a valley where you dont meet humans or hear cars, in the complete quiet and loneleyness.

I do love citys,when i´m on holiday, or making a trip or excursion, yesterday i was a the tollwood festival in munich, nice bars, nice people, we dont have that in our small village on the countryside.. but at the end of the day, i´m happy to live in a rather quiet area, with no neighbors in the house, and no neighbors very close to me..

ive lived in town all my life but now im living with a friend whos family owns a shop out in the middle of nowhere....where i can make all the noise i want and attract zero attention...i can weld, work on cars, drum, do whatever i want....id love to live in a plae like that

I went to school outside of the city but have lived in London all my life.
If I'm honest, people I've met from small towns/the countryside have always been very awkward, bordering on retarded.
The sort of people who try really hard to impress others in a sort of "my mate Dave can run the 100m in 7 seconds" kind of way, to the point where its actually quite uncomfortable.
That's based on tens of people btw, not just one or two.

Because I spent most of my school time in a pretty rural area, I can definitely say that being able to run around fields/woods shooting shit with air-rifles is way better than being confined to a park though.

All I have to say to this post is that I spend a lot of time in London and I can't stand it.