Classical Influences

Atticus

New Metal Member
I apologise if someone has already pointed this out in a previous thread:

Does anybody else start singing during "Red Light in My Eyes Pt 2"

"Confutatis.
Maledictis.
Flammis acribus addictis!" etc.

For anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about, check out the opening of the confutatis from Mozart's Requiem. Midi available here:

http://www.midiworld.com/mozart.htm

Sounds strangely familiar if you ask me...

yep man. its from Mozart's Requiem. Alexi loves clasical music, like I. hehehe. also alexi's favourite movie is AMADEUS, the movie about mozart and salieri. from this movie is the intro of warheart "from now on we are enemies. you and i". and also the warmen's intros for his albums "...too many notes..." and "the young man trying to impress beyond his abilities.... too many notes..." :)

Controversy time:
Why Mozart?

As far as I'm concerned it's the bland and dull pop music of its day. Nice pretty tunes without any real substance (the operas and the requiem are the exceptions that prove the rule).

The whole Classical era in fact produced very little music I can stomach.
None of the purity and energy of early music, none of the endless invention of Baroque, none of the heart rending orgasmic music of the romantic era, none of the blood and thunder and passion of Twentieth century and twisted sounds of modernism.
Just endlessly twee unsatisfying cadences.
Shouldn't a musician of the calibre of Alexi be emulating an art-form worthy of his notice?

Shostakovith/Stravinsky/Bartok and their ilk = Metal
Mozart/Haydn/Chopin ad nauseam = Britney Spears

Atticus really surprised me with the exposal of his stupidity.
Not all the people have the guts to show it all to the world, and for that, Atticus, I congratulate you. You are a man of courage.

You know, some people are against just because "against" is a nice thing to be. It shows you are different! Damn, who doesn't want to be unique??
The sad thing is... some people ARE different, but for the worse. And the funny part: they do have a strong number of "facts" to sustain their views.

As far as I'm concerned it's the bland and dull pop music of its day. Nice pretty tunes without any real substance :yuk:

really, what the fuck was that? did you EVER study music history, you bloody dumbass? horseshit, you make me sad.

The whole Classical era in fact produced very little music I can stomach :tickled:

yeah, well, this is kind of self-explanatory really.

Shouldn't a musician of the calibre of Alexi be emulating an art-form worthy of his notice? :lol: hahahahahaha

damn! now, this was a pearl! I am sure Alexi would kick your ass for saying a bullshit of this magnitude. note this: he's not a pompous "I know it all" fuck like you. just try to remember this next time, dumb little clown.

I am not saying I know it all, actually I don't know enough about music, not quite close to as much as I wanted to.
But I just had to flame this shit.

In that time, the concept of POP did not exist. Actually, music was a luxury for the elite, not for the lower classes of society.
Without them, the "boring" guys of the classical era, you wouldn't have britney, yeah.

nor metal.

If you may, next time try to pull that cock out of your ass before posting. It might do you good.

Thanks for the ferocious reply, nice to have stirred something, although I was angling for measured debate rather than a flaming. :)

I happened to be expressing a strongly held opinion about a relatively short period of musical history. I acknowledge we are all indebted to the works written during that period, as it was during the classical era that the concept of form was fully developed. Music was given a structural frame-work which is used by (nearly) all musicians today.

I just believe that the post-classical composers have created greater works than their forefathers. Merely an opinion. As music appreciation is subjective, naturally I cannot provide evidence for this, just resons based on personal experience.

> Shouldn't a musician of the calibre of Alexi
> be emulating an art-form worthy of his notice?

Apologies for this loaded comment - this is rhetoric intended to stimulate debate.

I did not make my main point very clearly:
Metal has far more in common with 20th Century orchestral music (such as Shostakovitch and Stravinsky) than Classical, so why do bands like COB not draw on influences that seem to me to be more appropriate?

Oh and please cheer up, I don't think I'm being nasty or rude :confused: