Classical music I might like???

Funeral Portrait said:
I completely agree, which is why I made that comment that I made. GoD has it in his head that General Music means Metal...
err.gif

I agree with you but then what's the point of having the Non-Metal forum around?

Cythraul said:
I agree with you but then what's the point of having the Non-Metal forum around?
there really isnt one, considering this board gets a new thread once every few days.
~gR~

I think a good starting point would be Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata, all 3 movements. 2nd movement gets overplayed a bit (because its a true classic), but 1st and 3rd are pretty wicked. Do NOT for any reason listen to the version played by Gould. The versions by Perl, Horowitz, or Richter (among others) are really good. Gould deserves to be beaten severely for what he did to the whole series.

Next I'd try Martha Argerich's debut album. (Possibly the greatest living pianist, IMO) And then maybe Chopin's Ballades. I think all 4 of them can be found on a single CD.

I think the trick is finding something with fire that avoids being snooty. You know what I mean? All of what I mentioned has a lot of depth without being intellectual just for the sake of it.

Okay, well the "Rite of Spring" came out way before Star Wars so stop being an idiot and listen to it for the good music that it is.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
You might enjoy the more modern stuff like Messiaen, Xenakis, Cage, Bartok, Schoenberg. Some may call Cage pretentious though, especially since he was the one who stuck a microphone infront of an audience and recorded it and called it a piece.

You might also enjoy listening to a broken dishwasher.

Schoenberg was a dysfunctional kike.

Cythraul said:
Okay, well the "Rite of Spring" came out way before Star Wars so stop being an idiot and listen to it for the good music that it is.

Rite of Spring is kind of neat.

For metalheads, I recommend Schumann, Brahms, Beethoven and Haydn.

Thanatopsis123 said:
I wish I could get into classical. I'm listening to this "Rite of Spring" though and can't shake the feeling that I've heard it in a Star Wars movie or something.

And Star Wars is gay.
:yow: the rite of spring is more heavy than most metal bands, you can't get more metal than that! and no its not on star wars, i've listen to it in some movies but in the horror genre of course...

for more metal pieces try bartok's music for strings, percusion and celesta.
some parts of that piece are played kubrick's the shinning, its just genius!

composers you guys might check out stravinsky of course, shostakovich(middle and later period, you can't get more evil and depressive that string quartet nº15), bella bartok, allan pettersson, gustav holts the planets of course is a must Mars bringer of war is METAL!, gorecki symphony of sorrowful songs is a must for any doom lovers, barber's adagio of course and albinoni's adagio are also classic for doomers, sibelius , hell anything from the romantic period( starting of beethoven) until today might be for you !

Neurotic said:
:yow: the rite of spring is more heavy than most metal bands, you can't get more metal than that! and no its not on star wars, i've listen to it in some movies but in the horror genre of course...

for more metal pieces try bartok's music for strings, percusion and celesta.
some parts of that piece are played kubrick's the shinning, its just genius!

composers you guys might check out stravinsky of course, shostakovich(middle and later period, you can't get more evil and depressive that string quartet nº15), bella bartok, allan pettersson, gustav holts the planets of course is a must Mars bringer of war is METAL!, gorecki symphony of sorrowful songs is a must for any doom lovers, barber's adagio of course and albinoni's adagio are also classic for doomers, sibelius , hell anything from the romantic period( starting of beethoven) until today might be for you !

Yes! Put some headphones on, or better yet, go to a classical
concert.
Stravinsky is great. The Rites of Spring or Petrouchka are great choices.
Also check out L'Histoire du Soldat. Fantastic stuff.
Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin and Music For Strings and
Contrasts are good choices.
Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht chamber symphonies makes more sense
than some of the atonal stuff, but I like it all!
I don't see Mozart mentioned here.
Check out the Jupiter symphony. # 41 and his Violin Concertos # 3 and #5.
There are so many to choose from.
Just get out to a real orchestra performance and close you eyes
and let the music take you away!
You will learn the meaning of 'dynamics' right from the get-go.

You might like some Schnittke. He did a messed up arrangement of Silent Night that is really quite intense because it’s just not what you expect.

Schoenberg's Perriot Lunaire is quite cool to listen too, its really nutty and all over the place. He wrote the vocals as not really sung but not straight spoken which is quite interesting and I spose its one of the first examples of people experimenting with new vocal sounds in music which is kinda where death metal grunts and so on come from.

If your problem with the classical you've heard is that its too happy you might like to try Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs) the lyrics to the 2nd movement come from something written on a wall by a prisoner at Auschwitz (a concentration camp). Also try some lied, like Schubert's Erlkong. He wrote music, the words are a poem by Goethe. In it a man is riding through the forest with his son. The son thinks he sees a elf/fairy type thing that threatens him, his dad says he's all imagining it, the son says the elf/fairy thing is hurting him, the father finishes ride and finds his son is dead.