Classifying

Congratulations, we have different tastes... who knew such a thing could happen.

edit: listening to Pentagram now... not bad, exponentially better than that Ahab band. Still, it's not going to be a genre that I enjoy a lot out of. I love Sabbath, but that doesn't mean I'm going to love every Doom band... are we all ok now?

My favorite is by far NIB. A lot of the ones I like I don't know the names to, though because I was missing the track list to the CD's I had. I only have the greatest hits, now... my CD's mysteriously come up missing quite a bit and I don't have a ton of money to replace them.

NIB is another one of my favs by them... second fav on the self-titled album

I still believe that nothing is cooler than Sabbath's first record. I mean, that opening riff, the rain and the bells, and that album cover... gods, there's nothing sweeter. Truly an album of epic proportions.

Yeah how fucking out of this world it must have been for those back in 1970,imagine hearing that opening riff for the first time in a time when Beatles were considered sinful.

Since I'm a noob and tend to say noob-esque things, I figure I should seek help to end my noob ways.
I don't completely get how to classify things, I get confused as to where one genre ends and another begins. Like such things as these...
Where does Grind become Slam Death?
When is Death Brutal Death?
When do either of those become Tech-Death?
Not an expert here, but grind simply doesn't become slam death.
brutal death is generally faster and more...brutal...than death - guitars drop-tuned lower, more blast beats, and deeper vocals. No definite line that I know of.
Tech death is stuff that has crazy time signatures, tempo switches, and riffs that are ridiculously hard to play. Necrophagist, Decapitated, Gory Blister, etc.