Climate Change and Related Issues

Taliesin: It was the 5th, but it was also the day to switch into daylight savings time, so God technically started Pleistocening on the 4th.

Oh I'm far from sterile :rolleyes:
What does that mean? Do you have a full ranch somewhere with 8 or 10 kids, Mr. Protect-nature-from-people? :p

And even if I could I would never do any of you guys :p.
Not even Taliesin here, with them sexy horns?

Makaan: I've been in Sweden 3 times. Like every nation I've seen, it has its positives and its negatives, but I would say that Sweden is probably the most civilized place I have been in.
[size=-2]I know the definition of 'civilized' can be somewhat subjective, but I don't feel like arguing about this.[/size]

I drive hybrid.

It's fucking ugly and smells sometimes, but before I have enough dough for an Aston Martin or a flying car (!!!) - just enough to save this planet on my part.

*back to carrying his cross*

Oh, but I'm afraid that such repopulation is impossible, and me and plintus being united would only be satisfying your perverted homosexual fantasies, you perverted homo guy.

Gee, I managed to keep all of my credibility :cool:

Who cares about that? The only thing that matters is our survival.

Or home cinema systems/big cars etc... Kids being brought up by their xbox360s and parents letting the television distort their views into thinking 'this is right'.

Siren is right to criticise... We're not killing the earth, we're just killing ourselves. Mysanthropic metal heads should be throwing a party.

If you have new age, Pagan, Pantheist etc beliefs, then sure this is a sad time as we're sort of poisoning the mother of all things, but if you think about it literally, the earth isn't in pain. We are. Anyone begging for change is begging for our shitty race to have a second chance. It's been obvious for long enough what's going to happen, but a general repression/apathy towards the severity of the situation from nations such as the US and China has (to be over dramatic) signed our death certificate for us. In all fairness, the changes needed would probably involve economic collapse. Guess they'd rather have a thriving oppressive economy for another 15-35 years than have a stable global environment for as long as is possible.

Refer to Hayao Miyazaki's flick: Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind.

@LBRH
Oh we do, quite a lot, but I guess we´re fed up with crying babies and want to enjoy our metal and sex (un)quietly :). I really like the way things are organized in Sweden, and even though I haven´t seen that much of the world i do believe it´s one of the best countries in the world to live in. People care about each other and support those who are in a hard spot. Things have been changing the latest 20 years or so though, mostly for the worse...

What happend in canada a few years ago?

Hahaha ok :p.
Yeah, I've been to Sweden too (Stockholm and Göteborg), and it is certainly a lovely place :). How much do teachers earn there? Funny thing, I prefer Norway than Sweden, oh I don't know, Oslo and Bergen are simply amazing... :kickass: (and so is Norway's high suicide rate :p ).

What happened in Canada was that some years ago they/we had a population crisis, so basically the government incited people to have babies. They even paid people to have babies!

Much like Japan nowadays, damn that country is so fucked-up.

MagSec4 said:
What does that mean? Do you have a full ranch somewhere with 8 or 10 kids, Mr. Protect-nature-from-people? :p

Yup, me and Gabi already have 12 children :headbang:. And I'm only 21 :headbang:. I believe that the more children you have, the better chance to save the planet because my kids will have try to save the planet, just like me.

Gott what am I saying?

@ Plintus: I don't know why bvt I thought you were going to be the "polluting" type of guy hehe :lol::p. Glad you aren't though *claps*

If you have new age, Pagan, Pantheist etc beliefs, then sure this is a sad time as we're sort of poisoning the mother of all things, but if you think about it literally, the earth isn't in pain. We are. Anyone begging for change is begging for our shitty race to have a second chance. It's been obvious for long enough what's going to happen, but a general repression/apathy towards the severity of the situation from nations such as the US and China has (to be over dramatic) signed our death certificate for us. In all fairness, the changes needed would probably involve economic collapse. Guess they'd rather have a thriving oppressive economy for another 15-35 years than have a stable global environment for as long as is possible.

And speaking of economics, China keeps threatening to throw away their dollars in favor of some other sort of currency. When that happens, expect hell to break loose: the only historical way the US have of dealing with economic disaster is by subliming the war psychosis of their own people, and Middle East will be the obvious target, maybe with a few others there as well, like North Korea and Cuba. However, when you have little or no money to do war, you just worsen things over. This weird war will eventually prolong as water runs short and may come to an end just after oil reserves get exhausted. At that point, other sort of wars will begin.

By then, I suppose the entire American continent will be almost even with Africa in matters of fuckedupness, we'll have brand new world potencies, (can't predict what's going to happen with Europe), Middle East will be a disaster zone, and - yes, we'll be facing the worst ecological scenario ever: water shortage, an almost static continental ocean current, desertification the Earth hasn't faced since it was a simple ball of fire, shortage of fish and other food supplies, and thrice the human population we have now, most of them starving to death and also dying of thirst.

No, recycling won't stop that, I'm afraid.

I'm scared to have children.

Ha! I recall plintus saying that he's 6-foot something.
I have a hilarious image of him squeezed into a Prius, trying to negotiate downtown Philly traffic :lol:

I loled, and you all should too.

I read an interview between Rolling Stone (trash-)magazine and Al Gore heavily (but not exclusively) involving global warming. His message was interesting and, in my opinion, a little too meddling. Though I do support some of his good ideas about resource management - like selling electricity produced at home and transferred back into the grid for credit on electricity bill, or the obligatory alternative electricity producing method. What took me aback was the maturity and poignancy of his statements. I know, I know, he was the vice president, he isn't a child (lolololol), etc. but I guess as an American I'm used to a level of condescension from the political figures in government, and that was absent. Its an issue worth buying, and I hardly say that, as I usually hate Rolling Stone. Not sure if the interview is online or not, but it probably is. I'll see about getting a link.

that'd be finland, they're at about twice the rate.
norwegians are the shiny happy people of northern europe. or, well, the hilarious language might a bit deceiving there. but they do suck at finishing themselves off, statistically speaking.

Yeah I know Finland has an amazingly high suicide rate (lack of sun plus alcohol and cars=not good), but I thought that Norway has pretty high suicide rates, don't they? :p

Anyway, I saw Sharkwater today. They talk a lot about lazy Costa Ricans who are always easily bribed...damn. Fucking bastards they shall just bloody die.

Ah well the film inspired me quite a lot so I'll ask my gf to make some posters and I'll go to the "Plaza de la Cultura" with them. I guess they'll say something like "stop global warming" and "stop killing shark you fucking Asians!"

:kickass:

Yeah I know Finland has an amazingly high suicide rate (lack of sun plus alcohol and cars=not good), but I thought that Norway has pretty high suicide rates, don't they? :p

No, the reason Finland has high suicide rates is cos our language is different
from our neighbors and thus we can't communicate with them.

(Well, it's the only valid reason really. I mean, otherwise the Swedes,
Norwegians, Danes and some Russians would be killing themselves too, right?)

Hahaha ok :p.
Yeah, I've been to Sweden too (Stockholm and Göteborg), and it is certainly a lovely place :). How much do teachers earn there? Funny thing, I prefer Norway than Sweden, oh I don't know, Oslo and Bergen are simply amazing... :kickass: (and so is Norway's high suicide rate :p ).

What happened in Canada was that some years ago they/we had a population crisis, so basically the government incited people to have babies. They even paid people to have babies!

Teachers don´t earn that much over here, it´s not really a high status work. Loads of people who teach aren´t educated teachers and so on.

I don´t know what you really mean, but we´ve been paying all parents since the 30´s. Nowadays it´s around 1000kr (something like 150 USD) per month for the first child, and then successively less the per child the more of them you have. You meant that sort of thing?

No, the reason Finland has high suicide rates is cos our language is different
from our neighbors and thus we can't communicate with them.

(Well, it's the only valid reason really. I mean, otherwise the Swedes,
Norwegians, Danes and some Russians would be killing themselves too, right?)

Ah well I'm not sure, Finland seems like the US in may ways nowadays. I mean, what the heck was those guys killing people in a Uni?

MagSec4 said:
I don't know, he might have a computer that runs on solar panels and guava fruit..

Well mine is a Mac which makes me amazingly cool :p. I wonder if it pollutes less than the other PCs. Mac also released some bio-degradable models, simply awesome :kickass:.

Siren said:
..or pig poo.

Hahah not really, but there is/was? a project here in CR which, much like the one of Australia, transformed human crap into energy. This is great since we humans crap too much, at least it'd be for something useful :).

Makaan said:
Teachers don´t earn that much over here, it´s not really a high status work. Loads of people who teach aren´t educated teachers and so on.

I don´t know what you really mean, but we´ve been paying all parents since the 30´s. Nowadays it´s around 1000kr (something like 150 USD) per month for the first child, and then successively less the per child the more of them you have. You meant that sort of thing?

Yeah something like that, I'm not really sure since I don't live in Canada hehe :p .

Ah well it's a pity that teachers earn so little in Sweden, I expected more of your country actually. Quite a disappointment I must admit :cry::ill:. I guess I'll go to Germany or Switzerland :) :headbang:.