Climate Change and Related Issues

Yes, I have to agree, Scottish people have a great accent.

Ah well it's a pity that teachers earn so little in Sweden, I expected more of your country actually. Quite a disappointment I must admit :cry::ill:. I guess I'll go to Germany or Switzerland :) :headbang:.
Maybe I have my view of the world totally wrong, but teachers dont earn a lot anywhere as far as I know. They certainly dont earn much around here. Not for the kind of shit they have to put up with anyway.

Maybe I have my view of the world totally wrong, but teachers dont earn a lot anywhere as far as I know. They certainly dont earn much around here. Not for the kind of shit they have to put up with anyway.

Yeah, we've always been an under-rated bvnch of wise guys/gals :cry:. Ah at least we have the satisfaction to know that we are the ones who can make a big difference and shape, to some extent, the world.

:headbang:

PS: But we must/should definitely be paid more.

You think this world makes enough sense to one day "save" the planet from ourselves?
On a related topic I'll tell you that when I was in high school, my art teacher was making more than 100 000 U.S. Dollars per year. He, like all teachers had 3 months off during the summer, he didn't do much, at all, throughout his workday besides giving us a project for us to work on every few weeks. He worked on his own artwork during our class ..and the majority of us were all easily more talented at art than he was.

Probably a trauma in little Plinny's childhood. His father demanded a beautiful work of art and he wasn't able to create one and in doing so making his life all miserable. :)

Probably a trauma in little Plinny's childhood. His father demanded a beautiful work of art and he wasn't able to create one and in doing so making his life all miserable. :)

Actually it was a beautiful painting that was going to win a fabulous prize until it got disqualified because they found out he made it with his penis.

^
:lol::lol::lol::lol:.

MagSec4 said:
You think this world makes enough sense to one day "save" the planet from ourselves?
On a related topic I'll tell you that when I was in high school, my art teacher was making more than 100 000 U.S. Dollars per year. He, like all teachers had 3 months off during the summer, he didn't do much, at all, throughout his workday besides giving us a project for us to work on every few weeks. He worked on his own artwork during our class ..and the majority of us were all easily more talented at art than he was.

But I mean, did he make $100K just by teaching, or it was that plus the money he earned from selling his "mediocre" art work?

No, that's a regular art teacher salary. The principal goes home with more than 250k$ a year.

Wow. I wish I could earn that here.... Here in CR it would be around $24K a year; of course with the fact that you'd be earning a high salary for a teacher here. If not it'd be like $12K at the most.

So where would I earn $100K per year Mag Sec? I guess not in Colombia huh? :p

I agree with that as well. The earth's temperature has always fluctuated and always will fluctuate. I agree that pollution control mandates are usually good, but honestly, its not like we can force the earth to be a certain temperature. I don't even think we've seriously exacerbated the situation. Remember the mini ice age in Europe not too long ago (geologically speaking)? Humans were around and had nothing to do with that aberration. Even so, :puke:

What?

Exactly. Again, I'm not saying we should do nothing. Pollution control and recycling, green energy, etc are great and useful ideas and we should pursue them. I simply feel the widespread OMG PANIC attitude is unwarranted, and as at least one person here has expressed, that humanity seems to feel as if the only thing that matters is our survival (I guess I can sympathize). Yet- does our survival mandate a particular temperature? It's as if we are trying to install an AC unit on the earth that we can dial in to 70F. Humanity can survive and adapt to changing temperatures and their effects - we just don't want to. The egotistical, centralized viewpoint of many of those panic-spreaders is, in my opinion, a false alarm at this point.

And again, I won't deny that we have had some impact on the environment and climate. Surely we have. But is it extreme? Evidence does not suggest it strongly at this point.

So where would I earn $100K per year Mag Sec? I guess not in Colombia huh? :p
No, not in Colombia. But you'll certainly get a better elementary and high school education there.

This was an art teacher in a high school in the suburbs of New york.
And to be fair, his salary was one after having worked in that school (which was in an area of wealthy people) for a very long time. Nevertheless, teachers in this particular area of NY State do make great money when starting (45-55 thousand per year). In the city (New York "city"), however, they work harder and in worse conditions, and earn less.

By the way, Kenneth R.: in this thread, that's the closest I've read to what my opinion is on the subject.

The store I work/live in is going out of business, and we were ordered by the liquidation douche to dispose of the 30 boxes of bags somehow. Since the mall doesn't seem to have a plastic recycling thing, we took them all to the garbage. When we got there, we (me and this short guy) realized that neither of us were strong enough to pick up the boxes and throw them into the giant dumpster, which was about 8 feet tall, so we opened up all the boxes and took the bags out, and there are about 100 shoved into one bag, and about 10 bags of bags per box, so we threw the bags of bags in individually, and the wind was blowing and they mostly ended up blowing across the parking lot.

So I guess that is what I do to stop global warming. I actually feel terrible. "An Inconvenient Truth" could've been filmed right there.