C'mon Billy, tell it like it is...

If you ever want to check out the software side of recording let me know, I have just about everything you can use for it, its much easier--especially correcting mistakes.

I have a question, I am trying to record spoken word type stuff for my website and other ventures in the works. I have a mac laptop and a soft ware called sound studio. I use final Vinyl to capture my rehearsals and catolog my riffs and jams. What is the best- easiest and most effective way to utilize these programs and record my voice.. Like a radio show idea , music -edits yatta-yatta

I have a question, I am trying to record spoken word type stuff for my website and other ventures in the works. I have a mac laptop and a soft ware called sound studio. I use final Vinyl to capture my rehearsals and catolog my riffs and jams. What is the best- easiest and most effective way to utilize these programs and record my voice.. Like a radio show idea , music -edits yatta-yatta

you should have a 1/8" mic jack on your mac book. you could record that way, or you could spend a couple bux and get something like a mexicon alpha...i have a the lambda with 2 inputs, and i think the alpha has one input and you get cubase le and a lexicon reverb plugin with it and its all usb.

you should have a 1/8" mic jack on your mac book. you could record that way, or you could spend a couple bux and get something like a mexicon alpha...i have a the lambda with 2 inputs, and i think the alpha has one input and you get cubase le and a lexicon reverb plugin with it and its all usb.

what's the costs on something like that???

On a mac I am not sure, I use a windoze machine to record on using a number of different programs including ProTools, Cake Walk, etc. Sorry for the non answer

Come on...let's here something...we're all friends here!

Check my myspace, I did a cover of COBs "Touch like the angel of death", I recorded it on my computer. Not too fond of the solo but lack the ambition to fix it. I am currently doing a version of Scrapping Foetus of 5the wheel(band name)s song Throne of agony, except I am adding alot of guitar to it. I write alot of original stuff but I hate coming up with the drums, its easier to work with a live drummer

Check my myspace, I did a cover of COBs "Touch like the angel of death", I recorded it on my computer. Not too fond of the solo but lack the ambition to fix it. I am currently doing a version of Scrapping Foetus of 5the wheel(band name)s song Throne of agony, except I am adding alot of guitar to it. I write alot of original stuff but I hate coming up with the drums, its easier to work with a live drummer

That's some great stuff! The recording is excellent...all of that is sampled and programmed except the guitars? Did you record the guitar direct to the computer with modelling? It sounds great.:headbang:

That's some great stuff! The recording is excellent...all of that is sampled and programmed except the guitars? Did you record the guitar direct to the computer with modelling? It sounds great.:headbang:

Yeah the drums, keyboards are programmed but the guitars are all live and recorded direct, basically I have a line out from my head to the m-audio unit

Yeah the drums, keyboards are programmed but the guitars are all live and recorded direct, basically I have a line out from my head to the m-audio unit

It sounds quite good...what head are you using? You've definitely got skills, how long have you been playing?

The quality is certainly better than my little D4, but for $199 bucks, I guess I can't complain.

It must be a pain in the ass to program an entire song on a drum machine. I don't think I'd have the patience.

It sounds quite good...what head are you using? You've definitely got skills, how long have you been playing?

The quality is certainly better than my little D4, but for $199 bucks, I guess I can't complain.

It must be a pain in the ass to program an entire song on a drum machine. I don't think I'd have the patience.

Actually my head is from a Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack, with some pedals it sounds pretty good I havent needed anything larger in years. I have been playing since I was 13 or so for about 20 years. I hate my playing actually, i nitpick about things. Programming the drums can be a bitch, the Bodom song I did was actually easy because I downloaded a version of the song for a program called guitar pro--it basically is the entire song converted into the seperate tracks-drums, keyboards, etc. I just imported that drum track into my drum program and tweaked the sound. When you have to transcribe a drum track it sucks, a song I am working on now is about 6 1/2 minutes with odd beats and fills and because its an odd song and older I cant find the tab for the drums. That sucks. All of the software I use I found via bit torrent. The only piece of equipment I had to buy to make it work was my m-audio usb interface and I got that on ebay cheap.

Actually my head is from a Marshall MG15MSII Micro Stack, with some pedals it sounds pretty good I havent needed anything larger in years. I have been playing since I was 13 or so for about 20 years. I hate my playing actually, i nitpick about things. Programming the drums can be a bitch, the Bodom song I did was actually easy because I downloaded a version of the song for a program called guitar pro--it basically is the entire song converted into the seperate tracks-drums, keyboards, etc. I just imported that drum track into my drum program and tweaked the sound. When you have to transcribe a drum track it sucks, a song I am working on now is about 6 1/2 minutes with odd beats and fills and because its an odd song and older I cant find the tab for the drums. That sucks. All of the software I use I found via bit torrent. The only piece of equipment I had to buy to make it work was my m-audio usb interface and I got that on ebay cheap.

We all nitpick our playing. I get frustrated because I can't find any time to play. I have to stay up until 2 or 3am on Friday nights to dedicate any time to it. Between work and raising 4 boys, it's not easy to find any time for myself...but this is the path I've chosen and I'm just glad to be playing again. I had many years where I would only pick it up once every few months, but after about 10 years of that, I realized that this is something I need for me. I'll bet I'd actually be quite good if I had those years back to dedicate to the instrument the way I did when I was younger. Oh well...such is life.

We all nitpick our playing. I get frustrated because I can't find any time to play. I have to stay up until 2 or 3am on Friday nights to dedicate any time to it. Between work and raising 4 boys, it's not easy to find any time for myself...but this is the path I've chosen and I'm just glad to be playing again. I had many years where I would only pick it up once every few months, but after about 10 years of that, I realized that this is something I need for me. I'll bet I'd actually be quite good if I had those years back to dedicate to the instrument the way I did when I was younger. Oh well...such is life.

There are certain things I play real well-metal being one of them,I find my natural tome is very similar to Alexi Laihos and Mille from Kreator-when I first started playing I was very into germanic thrash-like Sodom, Kreator, and Destruction, and there are other styles that I wish I could play better, great example is the Outlaws song Green Grass and high tides, I can play it pretty well but I just cant get the correct zone for it--I hope you understand what I mean by zone. I like your recordings, they have a very Satriani type feel to them-to me anyway. I make time to play at night after the wife and kid goto sleep, usually do that a couple nights a weeks and on Fri and Sat. The thing I cant stand is the fact that I feel my playing is alot better now than it was years ago when I was playing out in bands, makes me wonder what if--you know?

There are certain things I play real well-metal being one of them,I find my natural tome is very similar to Alexi Laihos and Mille from Kreator-when I first started playing I was very into germanic thrash-like Sodom, Kreator, and Destruction, and there are other styles that I wish I could play better, great example is the Outlaws song Green Grass and high tides, I can play it pretty well but I just cant get the correct zone for it--I hope you understand what I mean by zone. I like your recordings, they have a very Satriani type feel to them-to me anyway. I make time to play at night after the wife and kid goto sleep, usually do that a couple nights a weeks and on Fri and Sat. The thing I cant stand is the fact that I feel my playing is alot better now than it was years ago when I was playing out in bands, makes me wonder what if--you know?

I know what you mean...I play better as well, even with less practice...I think it's from years of listening and natural maturity. I'm very strong in blues based stuff but I'm not a natural when it comes to the standard neo classically flavored shred stuff....maybe because of the music I was playing when I began...shred was just blossoming. I saw Yngwie in '83 at the Ritz in NY with Billy...we were floored. There was nothing like that at the time. I never was one to cop solos or even try to play other peoples parts so I'm also a very strong at improvisation and my sound is my own. People I know can recognize my playing. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I admire guys that are really strong rhythm players as well as great lead players. I dig passion at whatever one is playing...passion and feel. I appreciate subtle dynamics more so than wild sweep picking(another weakness of mine), but they both have their place. I love guitar in all shapes and sizes!:headbang: