COB Live Concert DVD 2012

what is this "original sound"?

The sound instruments have in RL. A good record is a record that sounds as close to reality as it possibly can, unless of course the band was purposedly trying to do something different (e.g. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon).

Just watching CRY since a long time. It's quite a cheesy concert due to the Justin Bieber'ish blue+pink lights going on all the time, also it's very bad that the light show does not stick to appropriate colours during most songs: because of that it's sort of difficult to grasp what song is being played. The audience is like a lemonade disco full of teenagers.

Now at least they have a stage decoration which is definite plus. The light shows have been better also. It's important to choose a colour theme for a song. You don't do green, red and white lights during the same song as there's no idea. They still need to fix the setlist a bit to something more metal and surprising.

^you should take over the band, play every instrument and choose which fans are allowed to listen to the music.
The sound instruments have in RL. A good record is a record that sounds as close to reality as it possibly can, unless of course the band was purposedly trying to do something different (e.g. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon).

I dont think the guitar/amp sounds on bodom's record sound like they do in real life.

^you should take over the band, play every instrument and choose which fans are allowed to listen to the music.

I'm not saying it's the law, it's just my opinion and friendly advice spiced with sarcasm, and most of it is usually correct, or do you disagree with something?

When they release the new DVD they could record any new crap show with their gay-pyrotechics, "funny" speeches, Madonna-light shows and mallcore-setlists as long as they'd add a full show from 1998-2001.

Hi Joonas,

^Elaborate, it's interesting.

gladly. I've just listened to some songs off SW, HB, FtR, BD and RRF in order to refresh my memory and give you a more articulated opinion on their sound quality or lack thereof. What I heard reminded me of why I rarely listen to Bodom albums in the first place. For the record, my critical listening is done through Krell electronics and Dynaudio floorstanders.

All Bodom albums consistently feature a pretty harsh treble, made even worse by excessive dynamic compression. High pitched notes are cringe-worthy. Bass ranges from too lean to absent, except on RRF where it is present but muddy. Everything sounds overly loud, thus creating a lot of noise that makes fine detail unintelligible and the whole presentation quite fatiguing to the ear. Soundstage is narrow in all albums (the widest being RRF, which is still narrow by any standard) and flat, as though sound was pushed against the wall, never coming towards the listener.

Last but not least, drums sound like they do on each and every compressed release I've heard up to now: a row of shoeboxes hit with fish sticks. Real drums don't sound even close to that. If you want to hear good drums, try Metallica's ... and justice for all (original edition from 1988; subsquent reissues suffer from Loudness War compression); Europe's namesake debut (original edition from 1984); or [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Drum-Track-Disc-Master/dp/B003JG93DC/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319464405&sr=8-1-spell"]this.[/ame]

A very good guitar sound can be found on Edguy's latest release, Age of the Joker.

Thanks. Don't really understand why it's so hard for many bands to record an album (or someone is not willing to) with deep drums, powerful yet distinct instruments and lesser dynamic compression so it wouldn't sound like nintendo. I think a lot of doom and black metal records for example sound outright weird but it often adds to the claustrophobic atmosphere so maybe everyone's not trying to record every instrument the 'perfect' way to create character, but I can hear what could be better with COB who sound quite superficial.

maybe everyone's not trying to record every instrument the 'perfect' way to create character

That's for sure. Recreating a "natural" or otherwise "realistic" sound is not everyone's goal and can be an artistic choice, but even when recording an album that is willingly unrealistic in the way it sounds, instruments separation and detail intelligibility should always be sought after, together with punch and a wide soundstage, and listening fatigue should always be barred.

Try cranking up an album devoid of excessive dynamic compression like Age of the Joker: it sounds 1000 better and more powerful than compressed records - and don't even get me started about clipped sound waves (the new Threat Signal album is a clipping fest and that's clearly audible).

^Appreciated.

I'm quite sure this song is currently the band's best live song. The modern day Laiho-vocals don't quite fit the pre-HCDR songs, while I think RRF songs don't sound so good live, and I think there's still something with nailing the lyrics of the last two albums?... I would also seriously consider adding Tie My Rope to the set, a beautiful song. For a surprise I think Taste Of My Scythe would be cool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNjjjZyk-A&feature=related[/ame]

^ Nice. There's still a hint of his old voice there. I really wish to hear that live.

This is great news! I won't have to watch CRY over and over just to get a taste of their live show (they don't play in my country).

Am I the only one who wants to see them play Triple Corpse Hammerblow live?

I'd love to see Children of Decadence, Kissing The Shadows & Mask of Sanity from FtR.
Black Widow from Hatebreeder & Triple Corpse Hammerblow from HCDR would be epic if Alexi could nail the vocals.
Hellhounds on my Trail from Blooddrunk.
In The Shadows or The Nail from Something Wild.

They played KTS when I saw them in Sydney and it wasn't at all like the video in the previous post, they were good but it lacked Alexi's deep vocals so I was quite disappointed with that. Since it's going to be on DVD I'm sure they will practice harder cuz if they don't it only shows that they don't care about what they do anymore. It's time to test their commitment.

Somehow I don't really like Not My Funeral. I'd rather see Was It Worth It?. They opened with RRF in the Sydney show and it totally worked up the crowd as the powerful intro has a way of forcing itself on you. That would be the perfect opener imho. Shovel Knockout is a must as is Roundtrip to Hell and Back.

This is just something I'd like to see without taking into account the dynamics of a setlist and whatnot.

How I wish I could be there!!

They played KTS when I saw them in Sydney and it wasn't at all like the video in the previous post, they were good but it lacked Alexi's deep vocals so I was quite disappointed with that. Since it's going to be on DVD I'm sure they will practice harder cuz if they don't it only shows that they don't care about what they do anymore. It's time to test their commitment.

It's good the management noticed it was not a good idea to record that Wacken gig. The only idea I can come up with that supports the canceling apart from performance standards and setlist too similar to CRY, was the rainy weather - could it be they canceled it due to rain forecast? I think it would've looked great with rain, but maybe it's hindering to the equipment.

Thanks. Don't really understand why it's so hard for many bands to record an album (or someone is not willing to) with deep drums, powerful yet distinct instruments and lesser dynamic compression so it wouldn't sound like nintendo. I think a lot of doom and black metal records for example sound outright weird but it often adds to the claustrophobic atmosphere so maybe everyone's not trying to record every instrument the 'perfect' way to create character, but I can hear what could be better with COB who sound quite superficial.

1. Because it's not (only) the band who creates the sound when you're recording them

2.It's all a question of money

The band could prepare one good new track since they started early to put up some stuff, practise it real well and debut it on live DVD. If they did that and shooked up the setlist and improved on the vocals, it could become a good release. But it has to be something special and not a reshake of CRY. I personally still think they should play Chokehold and Punch Me I Bleed, and other rarities if possible.