COBOT: The Album [NEW THREAD]

OK WILD SUGGESTION TIME

Who wants to do an Xmas album?

Weren't we gonna do that last year and it failed?

EDIT: Flappy you damn ninja.

I'd say I'd love to be in, but being busy and knowing now that I'll be too lazy to write anything later, I'll respectively decline. Good luck to you if you do manage to put it together! I am looking forward to the next actual COBOT album since I have a song in the works for it.

Vol 5???? Fuck, I can't write songs that quick. :lol:

I want to do something that isn't metal but it's difficult to come up with something that doesn't sound like a metal song played on acoustic guitar/strings.

4 chords and a cheesy vocal line will do the job

seriously though, stay away from the usual fast, crazy shit, try different scales. Try major chords, make a happy song, it'd almost be impossible to sound metal

I won't be able to do anything for a Christmas album since I'm leaving back for Spain in like 10 days or so and I won't have guitar nor Toneport nor nothing while I'm home. Also, the Christmas thing failed epicly last time, but if you guys are up to it I'll be glad to check out what you pull out ;)

That's pretty cool, I do actually have a 12 string but a karaoke mic so probably wouldn't be the best sound quality.

4 chords and a cheesy vocal line will do the job

seriously though, stay away from the usual fast, crazy shit, try different scales. Try major chords, make a happy song, it'd almost be impossible to sound metal

I was actually thinking of something along the lines of chopin or something but that's just way out of my league. I wanted to try and use the melodic minor at some point but just never got round to focusing on doing it, I don't try and write/play fast it just comes out and I end up getting frustrated because everything I write seems to be that way, I don't want to end up like Malmsteen!

I was actually thinking of something along the lines of chopin or something but that's just way out of my league. I wanted to try and use the melodic minor at some point but just never got round to focusing on doing it, I don't try and write/play fast it just comes out and I end up getting frustrated because everything I write seems to be that way, I don't want to end up like Malmsteen!

I had these exact same feelings not too long ago -- not necessarily writing the same exact style as you, but I had my formula and it just always came out that way and I started to get tired of it. What helped me was basically putting the guitar down for a while (I ended up not playing for about 7 months, although it's not like you have to stop playing guitar completely or for that long), and focusing my efforts on the piano/keyboard. I don't know if you play other instruments or if you have any desire to, but what I did was used the piano to write in another style that is close to me which is video game influenced soundtrack material.

By the time I picked up the guitar again, the material I started to write had more depth. However I also did put forth a conscious effort to write using different progressions/styles than I normally did. Later it started to come natural, but I needed that initial forceful push to get me out of my rut.

Don't know if that means anything to you, but from your last couple of posts I felt a sense of relatability.

I had these exact same feelings not too long ago -- not necessarily writing the same exact style as you, but I had my formula and it just always came out that way and I started to get tired of it. What helped me was basically putting the guitar down for a while (I ended up not playing for about 7 months, although it's not like you have to stop playing guitar completely or for that long), and focusing my efforts on the piano/keyboard. I don't know if you play other instruments or if you have any desire to, but what I did was used the piano to write in another style that is close to me which is video game influenced soundtrack material.

By the time I picked up the guitar again, the material I started to write had more depth. However I also did put forth a conscious effort to write using different progressions/styles than I normally did. Later it started to come natural, but I needed that initial forceful push to get me out of my rut.

Don't know if that means anything to you, but from your last couple of posts I felt a sense of relatability.

Actually, I can say this really works because I wrote 03:05-03:30 of Mitch'Um Bach Terror without a guitar in sight, just tapping stuff into GP4 and it's one of my fave things that I've written. I sadly don't own a piano but I've always wanted to have one since I was like 5 but we've never had the space to store on in the house realistically so I've never had one.

I may actually start doing this because everytime I try something on the guitar, it always comes out as a song that I already know or something, it's frustrating.

Actually, I can say this really works because I wrote 03:05-03:30 of Mitch'Um Bach Terror without a guitar in sight, just tapping stuff into GP4 and it's one of my fave things that I've written. I sadly don't own a piano but I've always wanted to have one since I was like 5 but we've never had the space to store on in the house realistically so I've never had one.

I may actually start doing this because everytime I try something on the guitar, it always comes out as a song that I already know or something, it's frustrating.

Well, a midi keyboard is still very useful, and decent ones can be had for pretty inexpensive prices. I'd like to own a piano one day as well. And I do like that harpsichord interlude you wrote! :headbang:

Well, a midi keyboard is still very useful, and decent ones can be had for pretty inexpensive prices. I'd like to own a piano one day as well. And I do like that harpsichord interlude you wrote! :headbang:

you has a midi keyboard? or your dad probably has one with his Pro Tools setup right?

Yeah, there are a couple lying around the house, either of which are compatible with PT. I've got one just chilling right here next to my computer, simply turning my torso to the left I can play it. Can't begin to explain how useful that is when things spontaneously come to mind and/or I want to analyze some certain musical piece that's pumping out of my speakers at that given moment. Guitar is great but not as straightforward/applicable in a lot of situations.

Next step is acquiring a violin and beginning my training on that :D

Haha, fo sho! Did you decide on which violin you wanted?
And yeah, that midi keyboard definitely seems like a good investment. I've got my condenser mic and the phantom power amp now, just haven't had the energy to figure out how this style of recording works yet. But after that, I think the midi keyboard will be my next purchase. Seems great for composing music using VSTs too. Especially with something like East West (which I had to totally delete btw, lol. takes up so much room!)

Yeah I'd definitely recommend that investment. As for violin, I still need to go shop around locally. I've pretty much decided against ordering online. With purchasing guitars, I feel I'm experienced enough to generally tell what is and what isn't a good-looking guitar, but being completely new to violin I feel I should go in with a professional/experienced player and shop around for one that suits my desires and price range.

East West is awsm though! Get a bigger hard drive :mad:

I should go in with a professional/experienced player and shop around for one that suits my desires and price range.

Fo sho. The only thing you could know how one sounds is to try it out yourself, or go through the painstakingly long process of requesting sound samples for various instruments etc.

Can't begin to explain how useful that is when things spontaneously come to mind and/or I want to analyze some certain musical piece that's pumping out of my speakers at that given moment.

At least you can play piano. I've always been pretty bad at it, so I usually have to, like, record me humming a riff, and then later figure it out on the violin <__<