Combo vs head&cab.. maybe a build??

nobodysdually

New Metal Member
Nov 10, 2009
Ok, i have not had much luck in the past with amps.. all have been sore investments...

I started with an old peavey combo tube amp that just didnt sound good anymore cause of bad solder joints , sold it..

second amp was a Vox 30 combo that i just couldnt get a thick sound from so i sold it...
third amp was a marshall MG15 that was cool for two weeks ...

then realized i was wasting money on small amps and Decided that i needed 50 watts or better to get a good tone,

so my 4th and favorite so far (long pause) a Crate FXT65 combo kept it for 3 years,dont know why but i really liked it..

Then i was told by many people to get a tube amp cause i wanted a tighter deeper crunch(mostly for recording) ..

wasted cash on a blues JR. Just wasnt what i liked.

Finally, a Randall RX150head & 4X12 cab with fs, This dam thing rocked, but one day I ran my crate fxt65 through the cab and it was identical to the Randall Head..:erk:

More wasted money...Sold everything but 1 guitar and stopped playing for almost 10 months. (had a kid)

The only good part was i actually made money off of most of it..
Bad news..
now i gotta start over

I am in an apartment for another 8mths but I dont wanna waste money and I am looking for stuff that will go the long run..

Should I just get an old SS power head and a cab then then later get a tube drive and build a rack ? Pretty much a custom build?

Or get a combo amp until I can save to buy a high dollar amp and maybe waste my money again???

i want versatility, nice cleans and a deep but crisp crunch..

Have I just gotten hooked on SS? i have played on alot of amps and wasnt impressed with any tube amps that were under $1500.

I kinda went through this same shiznit with pickups, took me forever to decide after I tried everything i could get my hands on..:headbang:

Vox 30, MG15, Crate FXT65, RX150 - I have a feeling the tone you are looking for will require tubes. A 5150 can be had on craigslist for 600 - 700 it seems. There are also other options that will generate a good tone for less than $1500 I would think.