Comics!

I decided to back a comic in the making on Indiegogo called Longharbor, a Lovecraftian ocean horror with nods to The Thing and Alien, conceived of and drawn by a guy who was once a diver for a maritime archaeological company and he got into drawing and sketching because in his job he had to draw images of items they couldn't lift out of the ocean while diving. Went with the basic $30 tier.

Looks pretty damn amazing:

n7leylu7m3xlpea4mtln.jpg

kr5ac5rpxgdggofvjfrk.jpg

azarl05lpscqzk6cz8x8.jpg

f9zkdffezf1sjubthmsb.jpg

xnghgoh3uiucgm7ktknw.jpg

qkv9hnbmz5ybdh4mjocn.jpg

Read Invincible
I was into some spare Punisher and Nomad comics.

i love Spiderman, Peter Parker's spiderman,
spider-gwen is actually really cool too, but miles morales still feels like a weird SJW, pandering to black people, kinda thing and doc ock in spiderman's body should really been just a "part 1 of 8" "part 2 of 8" "part 3 of 8" kinda thing where part 1 doc ock takes over peter's body and part 8 peter gets his body back
making Superior Spiderman way the fuck longer than that just made it weird

Isn't the Spider-Gwen stuff where they put Peter Parker in a "this is what a feminist looks like" shirt?
yeah kinda sorta
but it's still better than the pandering to black people thing that they did with miles morales

yeah kinda sorta
but it's still better than the pandering to black people thing that they did with miles morales

I don't mind what I've read of the Miles Morales stuff, I don't mind ethnic pandering which is usually just that the stories come more from the black experience, as opposed to the political pandering in the Gwen Stacy material.

ehh
i can see your point i guess
the miles morales stuff just kinda looked weird at first
and, maybe this sounds racist a little, but to me, the whole trying-to-get-black-people-to-read-superheros thing is just more annoying than the getting-girls-to-read-superheros thing

The latter is more annoying to me because the writers' ideas for attracting more females to comic books are all political, rather than just writing stories from a bunch of different female experiences they instead write repetitive feminist propaganda and assume this will by default attract all females. It's utterly shallow and also alienating to any person who isn't gung-ho into the feminist ideology.

The black experience by comparison is something that can be both enlightening in detail but also universal broadly speaking.

Reactions: Sophii
yeah, i get what you're saying
but with miles morales they killed off a long-running version of peter that people loved, and the fans of the ultimates universe were pissed off that a well-done version of peter died

with spider gwen they didn't do that
they didn't kill off a character that people had been following
and with spider Gwen they were also kinda resurrecting a dead character that people still loved
a lot of the older readers instantly fell in love with the idea that their beloved gwen had kinda came back from the dead

yeah, i get what you're saying
but with miles morales they killed off a long-running version of peter that people loved, and the fans of the ultimates universe were pissed off that a well-done version of peter died

with spider gwen they didn't do that
they didn't kill off a character that people had been following
and with spider Gwen they were also kinda resurrecting a dead character that people still loved
a lot of the older readers instantly fell in love with the idea that their beloved gwen had kinda came back from the dead

Spider-Gwen's treatment of Peter Parker was worse! I'd rather Peter get killed off than get mutated into an unrecognizable character who no longer stands by his own ethics and betrays all the traits we saw established over decades of stories.

Spider-Gwen was horrendous, a blatant co-opting of Spider-Man by political hacks who have no respect for the characters. I'll take Miles Morales over that bullshit 10 times out of 10.

i'll be honest, the miles morales stuff is actually kinda good, but you didn't need to kill of an awesome version of peter parker to make a black superhero

Spider-Gwen's treatment of Peter Parker was worse! I'd rather Peter get killed off than get mutated into an unrecognizable character who no longer stands by his own ethics and betrays all the traits we saw established over decades of stories.

Spider-Gwen was horrendous, a blatant co-opting of Spider-Man by political hacks who have no respect for the characters. I'll take Miles Morales over that bullshit 10 times out of 10.
miles morales was a blatant hijacking of the ultimate-universe spider-man comic by pro-black political hacks

I'm not saying I love the Miles Morales stuff, there was definitely some dodgy ulterior motives for creating the character and killing off Peter Parker, especially given that Axel Alonso and Brian Michael Bendis are total SJW bozos, but I think it's worlds above the Gwen stuff. That material was riddled with political dog whistles but it was all done in such a hamfisted poorly written way with a sideshow of watching Peter Parker become an unrecognizable lump of shit.

Also it's not as if Morales was the first non-white Spider-Man, for example he was Mexican in Spider-Man 2099.

Obviously I'm not American but I do think that Miles Morales makes a lot of sense for a new generation of Spider-Man readers, if we consider the racial landscape of the American inner city and Spider-Man's place within that context. As his name suggests he's not just black he's black and latino.

Speaking of, I think this looks interesting.

I think it's a good thing that they tried to tap into hip hop culture with Miles Morales rather than the progressive minority culture of the college campus.