Comics!

Yes, the original Conan comics were done by Marvel. Then there was the Dark Horse years and now they are back with Marvel again.
my one and only issue of classic marvel Conan ...
SH7p6VS.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Conan the barbarian has been a public domain character since 1st of January 2007
kinda surprised that Conan hasn't been done by all the different comic-book-publishers by now

the only company right now that has the rights to publish Conan the Barbarian comics is Marvel. I think the president of Conan properties even announced that he was happy that they are now back with Marvel. So as long as him and marvel have some kind of deal, i dont think any other publishers can put out a Conan comic book.

the only company right now that has the rights to publish Conan the Barbarian comics is Marvel. I think the president of Conan properties even announced that he was happy that they are now back with Marvel. So as long as him and marvel have some kind of deal, i dont think any other publishers can put out a Conan comic book.

I think I saw that there is another company that is doing a retelling of the Belit story straight from the Robert E. Howard story. I can't remember the name of the company but I saw the comic solicited in the Previews catalog.

you can put a copyright on a story
but i'm pretty sure the character of Conan is still public domain
DC could still do some-sort of time-warp story of Superman interacting with Conan The Barbarian, i think

I don't slab my books. I am not a COLLECTOR in that sense of the hobby. I collect to read. And since I have begun to run out of space I've been cutting down my collection bits and pieces. If I'm not going to re-read something, I've let it go.

Of course, then I pick about 5 titles and work on collecting them so I can read the whole run. But if I am just going to read it and never read it again, then those will go out as well.

Today, I visited the comic book bargain bin outlet sale once again. I picked an issue here and there for four of the titles I'm trying to get the whole run for. But the big score for me was 32 issues of the DC Comics series Sgt. Rock.

I wish I could go back tomorrow because it is the last day of the sale and they are doing an even bigger reduction where you can fill an entire longbox for $50 bucks. Given that a long box fits more than 200 books, that is a hell of a bargain and there's a bunch of stuff I'd want to put into it.

Oh and given my love of mysteries, I'm probably going to add a few mystery titles to my WANT list in the future. But I picked up some issues of an oddball title that you might not expect me to have gotten. It's Richie Rich Vault of Mystery. Totally silly but I wanted to check it out. Plus, I can always give those away on Halloween with the rest of the stuff I give away along with the candy. I looked up the Richie Rich comics publication history. Wow, they had so many different titles.

The fact that some people think that slabbing books means that you haven't read them or dont actually read comic books is amazing to me. I am a reader/collector, not an investor. I read/have read every single piece that i buy and i also like to keep them in good condition. Btw none of those are books that i got slabbed myself(I'm way too afraid of actually mailing in my expensive books). Found them for good prices and picked them up or got them through deals(wizard subscriptions for example). I very rarely sell or get rid of my stuff. I do trade with friends though.

And yeah man that long box deal is a hell of a bargain. What city are you in?

Which Sgt Rock issues are you missing? I think i saw a few issues at one of my shops recently.

EDIT: i have hundreds of TPB's and omnis(posted pictures in the past), but i still haven't got rid of my floppies and never will. I'd get rid of my trades and hardcovers before i got rid of my floppies.

The Sgt. Rock list is still pretty big.

I get the trades because it is a space saving need.

That comic shop is located in Cranston, RI but that's not where I am. And sadly, I wasn't able to get to the store today to take advantage of that box sale today. I'll have to wait until the spring sometime when they are going to do the sale again.

@TageRyche
just re-read "god loves man kills"
i read it way the fuck before X-2 came out
i just now read the re-print that they did after X-2 came out
all that extra stuff in the back really enhanced the story, IMO

@TageRyche
just re-read "god loves man kills"
i read it way the fuck before X-2 came out
i just now read the re-print that they did after X-2 came out
all that extra stuff in the back really enhanced the story, IMO

I haven't read that story in a long time but I did read it long before the movies were a possibility.

God Loves, Man Kills is a classic. I'm a huge fan of Claremonts X-Men.
I get the trades because it is a space saving need.

Yeah, the worst part about collecting is storage. They've been releasing some cool box's with artwork recently. Might just pick a few up since planning on moving all my stuff from longbox's to short.

That comic shop is located in Cranston, RI but that's not where I am.

And sadly, I wasn't able to get to the store today to take advantage of that box sale today. I'll have to wait until the spring sometime when they are going to do the sale again.
yeah man i was passing by one of the shops out here this weekend and it looked like they were having a sidewalk sale(a bunch of box's outside with $1 books) but i didn't have enough time to stop by. But like you said, there's always next time.

yeah man i was passing by one of the shops out here this weekend and it looked like they were having a sidewalk sale(a bunch of box's outside with $1 books) but i didn't have enough time to stop by. But like you said, there's always next time.

I messaged the store today to say thanks for doing the big sale. They got back to me and said that they'll be announcing their anniversary sale soon which means reduced prices on their regular stock. So another trip might be forthcoming.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
@TageRyche
God Loves, Man Kills is a classic. I'm a huge fan of Claremonts X-Men.
claremont is actually a good superhero writer
but we have to acknowledge the fact that a huge amount of people who call themselves "X-men fans" are ONLY fans of Claremont's run
and the end of the day we have to acknowledge the fact that a huge part of what makes claremont's x-men seem so fucking awesome is the fact that everyone else who writes x-men comics totally sucks at it
as evidence of the non-claremont x-men writers sucking i present this

Cyclops: the Worst Leader (an interview) - Take up your scythe

in this "interveiw" the character cyclops is actually accurately describing the parts of the x-men comic that were not written by cris claremont

the only part of this horrible history that claremont wrote was "the death of jean grey"
this wasn't even claremont's decision "jean grey must die" was an instruction from editorial
claremont realized that cyclops had been dating jean grey for the entire history of the 2 characters
and with her death, claremont decided to give scott summers a brand-new girl-friend
claremont was okay with the artist's idea of having cyclops date a new character that looked just like jean grey
but jean's look-alike being jean's clone was something that claremont knew nothing about until after he'd been moved off of the x-men title
(IIRC claremon't last issue as writer was just a couple of issues after madylyn pryor's very first appearance)
and claremont has repeatedly said in multiple interviews that he intended pryor to be a regular person and that he totally hated the idea of madylyn pryor being a clone

all the horrible shit in the link i posted above is describing people other that claremont fucking up the comic

claremont's a good writer but he looks like the greatest writer in all of superheros because all the other people writing X-men comics just totally suck at writing X-men comics (weirdly including a guy who was good at writing Avengers comics)