Commercial CD's these days sound like shit.

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
http://www.loudnessrace.net/

This pisses me off. Today I ripped both "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and "Dance of Death" to MP3's, and excepting the fact that "Dance of Death" is quite horridly produced (less so than "Brave New World," though) the mastering job is absolutely atrocious. Recently, it has become a trend to make the volume of CD's as loud as possible because "everyone else does it", so what people (mastering engineers) do is compress and limit the fuck out of the sound which results in a total loss of dynamics. On old CD's, when someone hit a snare drum hard, it would actually come off as a loud hit because there was room in the sound for loud transients, but today all dynamics are gone. One needs just listen to "Dance of Death" -- from start to beginning it's one loud fucking blur of compressed guitars, compressed drums and bass. "Seventh Son", on the contrary, actually has dynamics. The acoustic guitar parts are soft and emotional, loud drum hits are actually loud, and, well, it sounds alive instead of squashed to death, emotionless, dull and drained of all life. Illustration:

moonchild.gif

montsegur.gif

The first pic is a sequence of "Moonchild" (heavy part) and the second of "Montsegur." The difference is clearly visible. "7th" stays within -6 to +6 dB, with headroom above for loud transients like sudden drum attacks and such, and anyone who listens to the record should clearly hear that it sounds "alive." "Dance of Death," OTOH, is fucking squashed to death with maximum volume ALL OF THE TIME. It can't be normalized further -- the levels are at 100% more or less all of the time; the audio actually has digital peaks that distort the audio -- it does NOT have all audio information intact. Sounds lifeless, dull, and is very tiring to the ears after long periods of time. This is how pretty much every major label CD looks nowadays (more info on http://www.loudnessrace.net/ -- Opeth "Blackwater Park" is another metal disc that's affected but there are plenty of others)

So the major-label record industry is trying to make us pay $20 for discs that 1) are copy-"protected" and thus more sensitive to scratch damage and won't play in certain CD players 2) sound like fucking SHIT compared to CD's from 1985-1990 because they're compressed to all hell. And then they wonder why people download music instead of buying it.

As a last note, I know we have Rush fans here. There is a detailed article on how Rush releases have become gradually louder until the peak with "Vapor Trails" where the sound is so loud and distorted that it's practically unlistenable (to people like the article author, anyway) that's very interesting, and should be even more interesting to Rush fans who can actually confirm that what he says is true.

</rant>

Sorath said:
<agreement>yes</agreement>
Indeed. Except I think most '85 - '90 CDs sound a bit flat (I imagine engineers were still aiming to the tape market), the best sounding ones are around the '93 - '95 era.

What about SACD format? I only have a handful but they are noticeably quieter than other modern CDs, with muchos muchos dynamicos.

EDIT: Actually I only have a few in the HDCD format, not SACD.

Erik said:
I don't think it's overly cynical to accuse the record industry of pulling something like this, but on the other hand I don't really think they're clever enough to come up with something like that.
Yeah, that about covers it.

I don't know about SACD, but HDCD are no more expensive than normal CDs. Then there's DVD audio which remasters stuff for Dolby Surround which are more expensive AND QUITE POSSIBLY THE GAYEST THING EVAR.

I dunno...I like my music loud & proud. I can't stand it when you put old CDs in your stereo and need to turn it up to 6 or 7 just to get a decent volume to listen to it at, without it even being loud. Or putting them in your discman and turning everything up full and still being able to hear cars driving past you :loco:

Volume is user adjustable. Dynamics are not. Although my discman is pretty quiet too, which can be annoying.

most people dont care because their ears aren't sensitive enough to the music, or they don't have the knoledge of mastering, etc.... so everything sounds right to most people. sure, producers will keep mastering louder until they hit a point and realize how shit the sound is turning out, the same point that most people will realize the difference, and that's where i predict it will stop, in relation to the little graph animation shown on the page. unfortunately, that point, is probably gonna be a point where most people cant notice or don't care but people like us would criticize. interesting site/thread.

Sorath said:
You don't really get it, do you?
I do, actually, but I still think I prefer the louder CDs for being that - louder. Dynamics and whatnot don't seem to have made much of a difference.

well, going further, compare the sound of VINYL to that of CDs. the "warm" tone of vinyl (also... ummm... "spacious" feel of vinyl, where it seems like all instruments have their own place and not all crammed together like most CDs). although, sometimes remastered CDs can be useful... as long as they don't fuck up the 5.1 30th Anniversary remaster of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".