Compression Q&A for Mr. Sneap

Plec

Master of Ceremonies
Aug 30, 2004
Sweden
www.thepanicroom.se
Andy.. love your work on the Testament - The Gathering album!

Would it be possible to get a little tip on what compressor was used during mastering (parallel chain right?).

You're hearing an SSL comp across the whole mix, and a finalizer also a tiny bit.
That mix pumps fairly well, there was quite a lot of real low end going on I couldn't hear in their rehearsal room (they'd built a tiny control room in there), but it turned out ok.

Ouch.. didn't realize the SSL buscomp was that aggressive. Been thinking slightly about purchasing the SSL XLogic outboard stereo comp for a while but keeping my eye on the Alan Smart stuff at the same time.

Does the C2 sound similar to the SSL buscomp?

Adats and soundcraft Ghost!! We hired some outboard stuff, a couple of neves, Tube tech, SSL and GML8200, but no automation, mixed down onto 2 tracks of the last adat, dropping in on sections I wanted different.

Didn't Alan Smart design the SSL comp?? I have the Alan Smart and it sounds pretty damn identical to me.

"Didn't Alan Smart design the SSL comp?? I have the Alan Smart and it sounds pretty damn identical to me."

Yeah, I had that idea in mind :)
Thx Andy... you're a gem

Wow Andy that's just too cool for words. That record sounds soooo great. It's still one of my reference CD's(I've used it as one since it's release). If you post any video of the sessions, I will worship you(who am I kidding?I already do! :worship: )

this is so cool. i need to step up my game

aka that gives me hope working in an "unprofessional" studio which is more suited for a rehearsal space like that one and producing dope stuff like that. having all that nice gear still helps (neve etc.) but i still gotta step up my game, im sure everyone who works in a non pro level studio will be inspired by seeing andy's work. it just goes to show before you gotta make your bones and earn your racing stripes before worrying about so many things that come as a result of intuitive and creative hard work.

andy, you are just so fucking awesome for sharing all this cool stuff with us! i can't imagine where we'd all be without your forum and the wonderful tidbits you share !

oh yea. . i almost forgot, testament rules!