Concert behavior

Are you one of those people who just stands still at shows and looks confused at people having fun around you? Listening to your favorite band live and showing no sings of amazement?

I've never understood it. I don't think I can stand still even at an Opeth show while they usually have a reputation of being "not so wild". I have to show my dedication to a great song somehow, otherwise I feel very cheated afterwards. Even more important is sharing your excitement with the people around you. It's the hardest when no-one around you wants to have fun. While this may sound like it, I'm not even what you'd call a "wild" or "rude" person! I'm very relaxed and nice in normal life.

If headbanging, playing air guitar and screaming along looks silly, well, it's about the only thing you can do to the music. Something like dancing looks more acceptable and cool for sure, but that doesn't work. I have to admit I sometimes try to "dance" along the more groovier or quieter parts. ;)

Moshpits are another case. I understand people moshing together have their common rules of what is right and what is not, but there's always the ones who have to stand right next to the pit. I never do anything which could harm or disturb other people.

Comment, please! ;)

Why do everyone have to be like you? I enjoy the band, listening and sometimes sing abit. I hate it when people headbang infront of my face.

Personally, I don't like being part of a moshpit or any thrash at all (except with friends), but I like the feeling it gives in a show. Being a band playing in a cinema-like stage would be so fucking boring. I think bands like to see people moving and having fun. For my self, I prefer standing on the border of the stage, right in front of the band, and headbang during very brutal parts, and singing along when I feel it. But this is just about Opeth. Overally, there's not many bands that gets me to headbang and sing along. I normally prefer trying to listen to the music and watch the musicians playing. But the energy in a show makes the show, and here in Montreal, people are pretty crazy so it's kinda great. But show respect; many doesn't. Like trying to push just to get in the front, headbanging and putting your hair in someone else's face, grasping someone's hair (that fucking hurts sometime), or just dance like a whore in front of someone and taking too much place... OH! and putting arms around someone (when in the front), I already hit someone because I was too frustrated, and I already fought with a fat girl for the same reason (ridiculous moment).

Oh and I'm not a dancer, dance is for clubs and raves party with reggae and stuff like that. And to answer the first question of the thread : Yes, it happens that I listen to a band without showing any sign of amazement. More often when I'm alone, but when I'm with friends that I play music with, we're more into it.

I have nothing against headbanging, fist pumping, :headbang: s or whatever, but I really hate moshers. When I was at Opeth a few weeks ago some douche elbowed me in the back and I turned around and noticed that someone had started a mosh right behind me. Really took away from the song having to brace yourself for a stray head/elbow/fist from the mosh. Even though it was just five or six morons.

The only other thing I hate is the incessant need to cut ahead. I can tolerate it in the opening acts or before the show, but when the main act starts playing, just stick to your fricking place all-right? It's annoying trying to appreciate your favourite band (while not accidentally elbowing someone in the face) because you have to spend 80% of your energy keeping some moron from shouldering his way in front of you.

I sit out of the pit because i don't want to go to jail.

(explanation: Trapped goes into the pit, moshes around, and OPETH shirt gets ruined.... Trapped then proceeds to murder every single fucking person in the pit and make them all drink their own blood and uri.............. uh....... :D )

"Trapped", thinks he's a bad ass mo fucka

Hmm...seems like I am one of the most aggressive concert goers around here...:rolleyes: :D I almost always push myself right in front of the stage at club gigs and start a madman's headbanging and hand waving with the 'devil sign' or whatever it is called...and then afterwards feel the pain in my neck and the sweat under my shirt :lol: And, last but not least, as my hair is really thick and curly but not yet long enough, my hair looks like electrified. Imagine a guy from the Static-X...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, same here except my hair is long! :kickass:

I don't mosh. When I pay money to say a band live I want to SEE them. I appreciate people who stand still; what do I care how they enjoy a concert? While I personally tend to get entranced, bob my head, and even close my eyes to savor some particular musical moments, someone not doing anything doesn't bother me.

Drunks yelling bullshit bother me.

Hardcore kids doing karate moves bother me.

People who want to mosh around people who clearly don't bother me.

Getting kicked in the head bothers me.

I've yanked more than one kid who has kicked me in the head multiple times down to the floor and threatened to strangle him.

Besides, moshing has become a parody of itself. It used to actually be fun way back when; there was actually a sort of "pit etiquette". Now I mostly see a bunch of assholes in wife-beaters trying to look hard. I hate feeling like Jane Goodall when I go to a show.

I have nothing against headbanging, fist pumping, :headbang: s or whatever, but I really hate moshers. When I was at Opeth a few weeks ago some douche elbowed me in the back and I turned around and noticed that someone had started a mosh right behind me. Really took away from the song having to brace yourself for a stray head/elbow/fist from the mosh. Even though it was just five or six morons.

Exactly how I feel- feel free to get into the music but without bothering anyone else. The Opeth show in Sydney this year was the shittest crowd i've seen at a concert. I swear half of the crowd didn't even like Opeth and was just there to form a circle pit. Hell, one dude even yelled at them to "Stop with all the soft-cock bullshit" durring To Rid the Disease:mad:.

When I go to a show I try to make my way up front. I am not a mosher. I also hate crowd surfers. I've stepped aside plenty of times when some come my way and let them fall. Fuck that..I've been kicked in the head too many times to let some douche bag think hes cool by having people hold him up to the front.

I dont mind getting into the mosh.
Its not everyday that you get to act like a tard and let off a bit of steam like that.
and what better way to do it than at your fav bands show!

Obviously you pick your moments though. Im not going to jump around to Benighted.

I never mosh, I'd much rather pay attention to the music. I really hate the people who act as if not moshing is some sort of crime against metal - seriously, I'd rather stand back, watch and enjoy. You wanna mosh, go ahead, but don't try to get people involved that don't want to be.

^ I agree.

I only go to see bands that I really like or even admire. These are special moments for me actually. So I like to just watch the musicians performing. Yes, I'm that boring :)

I prefer to get involved, I think the only gig I didnt really do much was an Iron Maiden gig in Cardiff. That was only cos I went fuckin mental to the first 4 or so songs, then realised Im a fat bastard and almost passed out due to exhaustion! Had to just chill at the back for the rest. Its lucky really, cos the songs they played were shit - the whole newest album start to finish.

All other gigs I cant understand it when people done move around, or if you catch eyes with someone when your looking, they look at you like your acting a complete and total tit and your the only one acting that way! Really annoying. If the guys are there and are nodding quietly and actually enjoying themselves, thats admirable etc. But most of them just stand there and literally dont even smile, its as if they are just waiting for the band to finish so they can... go home.

I usually find myself in the front row headbanging occasionally, but mostly I just listen in amazement. If it's a shitty gig, I might go to the pit.

My behavior depends on my level of intoxication.
Typically I like to be 20-30 feet from the stage & at the edge of the pit.
Lately I find myself moving around a bit more. Being in the front row of a balcony is also cool.
The sound tends to be better & you get a great view of the band playing their instruments.
I usually toss up the horns & bang my head a bit.
In the past I would scream & shout the lyrics. After losing my voice for days at a time, I'm now pretty quiet.

Im the big tall guy with deathly long hair standing there with his arms crossed. Try plowing through me... I dare ya. :D

When I was younger I use to get involved in the mosh pit, although I was seeing more heavier/extreme bands then. With Opeth gigs I like to get a good view and just enjoy the music, so I usually find some space away from the front for the most part. This doesn't mean I'm standing still, there is still some grooving and plenty of singing but I much prefer to listen to the music than getting stuck in the melee and missing out on the performance.