Concert behavior

I have knee injuries, and therefore try to stay away from jumping and moshpits. I remember that one time I saw Cavalera Conspiracy while drunk, though.. :lol:
I tend to keep away from the moshpit and just nod/headbang a bit instead. ;)

As always something in between is the most reasonable, between going crazy, eating your shit and standing still in an opera.

Are you one of those people who just stands still at shows...

Sort of. I'll move my head and/or tap my feet to the beat, but I don't all-out headbang or jump or mosh.

...and looks confused at people having fun around you?

No. There's nothing confusing about people having different approaches to enjoying a concert. Some people are more extroverted and energetic, while some are more introverted and calm. I lean toward the latter.

Listening to your favorite band live and showing no sings of amazement?

Amazement does not need any outward display. One can simply reflect and soak it all in with complete amazement, and yet not jump or scream or headbang or whatever. Don't assume that someone who isn't hyper can't be amazed. There are different sorts of personalities, which will affect peoples' actions in various settings, including concerts.

I go to an Opeth concert to hear the best representation of the band, in a live setting, not to get elbowed in the face.
So I find a good spot off to the left or right of the pit as close as I can.
I stand and soak it all in, so I might look like on of the aforementioned types, but i do a mild "headbang" and "groove" thing to heavier parts, it's hard to resist.

I guess im the type who gets in the front row and headbangs. After the Orlando show during the last tour my neck was killing me but it was ok because i got 5 picks out of it. I really love the atmosphere of a live show, especially when mike really gets into it like when he got on his knees and did the Deliverance solo at that show, it was fucking awesome. I definitely prefer a live show and being into the front row to just sitting down and being 'immersed' in it. Even though there are assholes there throwing elbows and stuff i think its all just a part of that great atmosphere and that its all worth it to have the memories of going to a fucking awesome show, i know ill never forget the last one i went to which was only my second opeth concert. It wouldn't have been the same if i was just standing there off to the side.

Fucked up my back in the pit at a NoMeansNo concert years ago, just can't mosh anymore .. or even headbang much. Slipped on spilled beer, went down *hard* and got stepped on. Big ouch the next morning when the adrenaline wore off.

The last few shows I've been to at the Roseland in PDX (Opeth 5/4/08, Apocalyptica 10/24/08) I couldn't even stand, had to sit in the balcony. There was beer up there which made it easier to take; so did *not* hearing any wisecracks from anyone in the bands about "pussies sitting in the balcony". :kickass:

Need to get that fucking back looked at one of these days...

I think it depends on personality, mood etc. I just don't like when some people speak about some shit or shouting something during the performance, especially during mellow parts. If people stand still and listen carefully it is ok, if people wanna headbang and slam it is still ok.

I enjoy the band, listening and sometimes sing abit. I hate it when people headbang infront of my face.

i just go to see the music being played, i dont like to go nuts or have people pushing into me, it detracts from the overall experiance in my opinion

Both posters basically summed up my behavior. I do a bit of headbanging but only a little and ONLY if it isn't intrusive to the people around me.

And I don't sing at the top of my lungs because people have paid to hear the band and not my horrid screeching. I fucking HATE when some idiot feels he/she must shout every damn word to every damn song....and usually right in my ear. WTF? (Obviously, the volume of said idiot increases proportionally with the amount of alcohol ingested. :p)

Anyway, I guess I basically try to keep to myself (odd thing to do in a crowd, I suppose) and not get in anyone's way with whatever I'm doing. :)

BTW, headbangers take note: Party Off: Headbanging May Be Harmful

I remember the biggest surprise watching Opeth for the first time was seeing ppl all around me moshing to the music. I honestly can't understand how you can mosh to say, The Drapery Falls. I would understand moshing to the intro of Wreath or hell, The Lotus Eaters' intro. But moshing to a whole Opeth song is out of the question for me.

I remember seeing At The Drive-In and after about twenty minutes the band walked off stage and refused to play because everyone was moshing. I believe the singer said something along the lines of "you are all sheep, you are only doing this because you don't have a mind of your own."

I don't have anything against moshing, like I said before, when I was younger I use to get in there, but in all honest I don't think you need an outward display to show your appreciation of a band, and to say people are not appreciative because they aren't moving a lot is just silly. Do you feel the need to mosh at home when listening to the music?

Never liked mosh pits. I stand at the side, nod along, when something really gets me I might even headbang a bit. But never into the pit. Wouldn't want to risk losing a good set of teeth.

If it's an unknown band, I just stand there and listen. If they're good, I'll throw the horns and headbang a bit. If not, I'll just stand there.

If it's a band I know and love, I scream like a fucking maniac, sing along, throw the horns, headbang, and way every once in a while, I'll go into the pit. Not often at all, though. During Katatonia, I just stood there, headbanged, and sang along (and screamed during 'Murder'). That's probably the tamest band I've seen. During Strapping Young Lad, I just about shredded my voice to nothingness. During Carcass, I went into the pit a bit more, and screamed a lot. During Opeth, I screamed along, sang, headbanged, and went into the pit once. During Blind Guardian, I sang and screamed like there was no tomorrow. Lots of headbanging and horn-throwing, too. Blind Guardian was fuckin' fun. Anyway....

Sort of. I'll move my head and/or tap my feet to the beat, but I don't all-out headbang or jump or mosh.

No. There's nothing confusing about people having different approaches to enjoying a concert. Some people are more extroverted and energetic, while some are more introverted and calm. I lean toward the latter.

Amazement does not need any outward display. One can simply reflect and soak it all in with complete amazement, and yet not jump or scream or headbang or whatever. Don't assume that someone who isn't hyper can't be amazed. There are different sorts of personalities, which will affect peoples' actions in various settings, including concerts.

Thank you!