controversial bands

EchoForever

HAIL!
Apr 7, 2016
in metal theres a lot of controversial acts/bands/band members

what do you think of them? does it effect your listening experience? does it effect your buying decisions? can you separate the art and the artist? what do you think of people who are on the opposite end of what you may think of this subject

the two that come to mind immediately would be the guy from Inquisition and his pedophilia charge and the guys from arghoslent

For me it really depends how much I like the music. If I like what I hear I can listen to the music and not think about anything the members have done.

Reactions: CiG
For me it really depends how much I like the music. If I like what I hear I can listen to the music and not think about anything the members have done.

Pretty much this for me too, but other factors come into play like how important the controversial musician is to the band's output (random musician not even around for their whole discog vs core songwriter), how directly am I supporting them with my money, does the controversy relate to the music in some inseparable way (eg if Inquisition wrote songs with references to abusing children that seems worse to me for some reason) etc.

If it's just political or ideological views they hold I don't give a shit though, most of the time.

To be honest with you, I cannot listen to bands that are blatantly pretentious or carry incredibly inane or simply wrong messages that I do not agree with. The message is really important to me, believe it or not.

What can I say, Impetigo's message of spitting in burgers at work and Nekro Drunkz's message of eating bloody tampons just really resonates with me.

I don't care for two reasons.

1. Most the time, if we're talking about NSBM or super misogynist death metal you can't tell what the fuck they're saying anyways. So, if I don't like the lyrical content but like the music, I just don't read the lyrics.

2. I recently bought a pair of shoes that were made in Vietnam. It was probably made by kids and definitely was made by someone who makes starvation wages. It was probably packed and shipped by workers in the US who are underpaid, maybe even making starvation wages themselves. Meanwhile, a good chunk of the money I spent probably went to some asshole CEO who lobbies our politicians to pass shitty trade deals that cost Americans jobs, limit environmental regulations, and keep the super rich's tax rate low. I think buying those shoes did a lot more harm to the world than buying a CD of some guy in Eastern Europe who thinks he's gonna save the white race by playing an obscure style of extreme metal that most people haven't even heard of.

2. I recently bought a pair of shoes that were made in Vietnam. It was probably made by kids and definitely was made by someone who makes starvation wages. It was probably packed and shipped by workers in the US who are underpaid, maybe even making starvation wages themselves. Meanwhile, a good chunk of the money I spent probably went to some asshole CEO who lobbies our politicians to pass shitty trade deals that cost Americans jobs, limit environmental regulations, and keep the super rich's tax rate low. I think buying those shoes did a lot more harm to the world than buying a CD of some guy in Eastern Europe who thinks he's gonna save the white race by playing an obscure style of extreme metal that most people haven't even heard of.

This is a great point.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd