Controversial opinions on metal

While I like Unleashed alright, I don't think they hold a candle to the rest of the Stockholm/Sunlight pack. I'll take Left Hand Path, Like an Everflowing Stream, or especially Into the Grave over Where No Life Dwells any day.

Here's something that could be construed as controversial:

Less conventionally metallic bands like Nadja, the Angelic Process, and Isis are substantially more interesting and innovative than the majority of the more popular, traditional extreme metal bands operating today.

Slipknot isn't all bad. Their mix of industrial metal, extreme metal and hiphop is original, and it works, but their songwriting isn't all it could be.

Nadja rules. If they play within the local Chicago area, my band might be able to open for them...

Cookiecutter, how was it seeing them live? I have not been able to see them live and I heard it is very interesting.

One of my friends has seen Nadja live a few times, as well as hundreds of other bands that play many different styles of music, and Nadja is one of his favorite live bands.

While I like Unleashed alright, I don't think they hold a candle to the rest of the Stockholm/Sunlight pack. I'll take Left Hand Path, Like an Everflowing Stream, or especially Into the Grave over Where No Life Dwells any day.

Here's something that could be construed as controversial:

Less conventionally metallic bands like Nadja, the Angelic Process, and Isis are substantially more interesting and innovative than the majority of the more popular, traditional extreme metal bands operating today.

I feel the same way about Like An Everflowing Stream (although I'm pretty sure that's a less widely accepted opinion). It's a good album but something about the vocals really grates on me. :erk:

Jon Schaeffer's creative moments after Burnt Offerings are few and far between.
Jon Schaeffer up to and including Burnt Offerings was one of the greatest thrash-style guitarists ever.
John Greely and Tim Owens are better singers than Matt Barlow.

Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Grey is one of the most boring things ever recorded to a disc.

Double bass and blastbeats should be used sparingly unless you play black or death metal (I'm looking at YOU, Euro-power bands!).

From the short clips Metallica put out on their silly "Mission Metallica" site, the new Metallica album might actually be good.

i don't think it's controversial to dislike post-arch fates warning. anyone who doesn't like their arch-era stuff is a drooling subhuman though

also where no life dwells is not the best unleashed album