Controversial opinions on metal

Darkane, other than Rusted Angel, isnt bad, its just boring. Give me The Crown for that thrashy take on the sound. Deathrace King, Hell is Here, Eternal Death, and Crowned in Terror are superb.
Although I probably haven't listened to it in about 12 years I remember really liked Darkane's Expanding Senses when it came out. "Fatal Impact" is a great song.

What do you think of The Crown's Possessed 13? That was another one I played quite a bit then just sort of forgot I had.

Tjr, whoracle and colony share many similarities. It makes no sense to say, for example, that whoracle is the only good in flames album. Some albums are better than others but their entire discography (pre rtr) is full of great songs. And darkane being better than early IF? Haha. Good one.

It's pretty fucking gay, but I really like Stabbing the Drama. Some really solid songwriting on that album. Nothing else by Soilwork has really interested me.

re: melodic death, i'm actually in the process of trying to form a comprehensive list of the good stuff. the obvious stuff like A VELVET CREATION, ETERNAL DEATH, the chasm 'n arghoslent, but also some underheard obscurities. no 'melodeath' allowed of course ;)

Amon Amarth's Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds is some pretty fucking raw melodic death that's often overlooked.

You might also look into Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty You Slay, A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond, Dimension Zero - This Is Hell, and Epoch of Unlight - The Continuum Hypothesis.

re: melodic death, i'm actually in the process of trying to form a comprehensive list of the good stuff. the obvious stuff like A VELVET CREATION, ETERNAL DEATH, the chasm 'n arghoslent, but also some underheard obscurities. no 'melodeath' allowed of course ;)

Those are a few exceptions. I think there's a big difference between bands that are just "melodic" and the ones copying At The Gates. Does Loudblast count? Also Melodic Death/Doom metal is an entirely different story for me. Lots of bands doing that style kick ass. The Morningside, Daylight Dies, Mar De Grises, etc.

Also there's this new band called Isolated that I really enjoy. If anyone's interested here's a link to their debut album

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont get the Soilwork hate. Their whole discography is solid imo, and are still producing great albums. There hasnt been one album of theirs I havent liked.

Same goes for In Flames. I dont get the bash on them either (Pre Clayman, Post Clayman is totally understandable). By default In Flames and Soilwork isnt typically the type of music I gravitate towards, but if im in the mood for it its fucking awesome.

I know Andy will back this up, so is Raunchy. Horrible band name, but some excellent music.

Also first three Arch Enemy records, Carcass - Heartwork, mid Edge of Sanity, mid era Hypocrisy, Sentenced - North From Here.

Ive decided Dawn's Naer Solen Gar Niber Evogher is the best example of melodic black metal.