Controversial opinions on metal

It gets more nasty after a while but I think there is something to be said when this bands music was such that it forced fans to vomit and run out during concerts.

Lol pussies. But yeah, I've been meaning to give Swans a proper look in for a while; I've read a few Napalm Death interviews where they state how big an influence they are. And you can definitely hear the similarity between that^ and something like Godflesh.

From the sound of it it will probably take me a few listens to get accustomed to it though, if at all.

Lol pussies. But yeah, I've been meaning to give Swans a proper look in for a while; I've read a few Napalm Death interviews where they state how big an influence they are. And you can definitely hear the similarity between that^ and something like Godflesh.

From the sound of it it will probably take me a few listens to get accustomed to it though, if at all.

Swans has changed their sound a lot and most of their stuff doesn't sound like that. Children of God is a good one for something more commercial and on the artsy side. Public Castration is just considered them at their most brutal though I think it requires being played at a really loud volume to catch on to why.

Yeah there's that one too. TRAPPED IN PURGATORY, A LIFELESS OBJECT ALIVE AWAITING REPRISAL DEATH WILL BE THEIR ACQUITTANCE!

Probably used to know almost all of the lyrics to the entire album in my mid teens, but I rarely listen to it these days. I'll almost always reach for Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy instead.

Reactions: CiG
I have this theory that people always like the music that was released around the time they were born the best. Almost all my favourite albums were released either a few years before or after the year I was born. It probably helps that 1991 was a badass year for metal, though - and grunge.

Nah, 1988 can go fuck itself for the most part.

Alice in Chains, Nirvana and Soundgarden are infinitely more metal than most of the garbage pop rock bands that you guys have been name dropping for the past few pages. That cant even be argued.

That's fucking retarded.

This is "more metal" than Nirvana certainly.

1988 was fucking awesome, what are you on? It was a weaker year for the big names, but an amazing one for the underground. Spectrum of Death, Irae Melanox, Mind Wars, Dimension Hatross, Deception Ignored, Malleus Maleficarum, Endless War, Black Death, Ritually Abused, not to mention there were a few big ones dropped as well (e.g. Operation: Mindcrime) it's hard to deny 1988.

1987 was the weakest year of the second half of the 80s by a pretty good margin imo.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
I don't give a shit about most of that. Good call on Dimension Hatross though.

I was just saying that because whatshisname up there theorised that people's favourite music tends to be from the year they were born. Not so much for me.

1987 was the weakest year of the second half of the 80s by a pretty good margin imo.

hmmm. 87.

Coroner - R.I.P, Scream Bloody Gore, Schizophrenia, Release From Agony,Persecution Mania, Terror Squad, Terrible Certainty, Under the Sign of the Black Cross, Raging Steel, None Shall Defy, Dream Evil, Celtic Frost, Cryptic Slaughter, Exodus etc just to name a few. Those first few albums should tell you right away that you're probably wrong.

and i cant believe i forgot about Eternal Nightmare for 88. One of my favorites.

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
Nah, 1987 has a few of my all-time favorites (as does every year of the 80s), but relatively fewer of them, and the "merely great" albums are usually usurped by better releases from other years (e.g. I'd take PfD or NMC over RIP, or Leprosy over SBG, or Nothingface over KT). Like, if I were to take my top 3 from 85-89, they'd rank up roughly as follows...

The Spectre Within (85)
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (86)
Irae Melanox (88)
Bonded By Blood (85)
Nothingface (89)
Energetic Disassembly (85)
No More Color (89)
Rage for Order (86)
Eternal Devastation (86)
Hall of the Mountain King (87)
Operation: Mindcrime (88)
Endless War (88)
Release from Agony (87)
Perfect Symmetry (89)
Run to the Light (87)

I love the 80s, but a lot of my favourite albums were released in the early to mid 90s. A large amount of the black and death metal that I love was released in those years, and those 2 are my most listened to genres of metal.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
as an '88 birthday myself i'm offended nobody mentioned my second fav of that year (after the adramelch obvs), riot's THUNDERSTEEL! also unmentioned are the likes of MOURNFUL CRIES, rigor mortis' S/T, A DISTANT THUNDER, 7TH DAY OF DOOM, SERPENT TEMPTATION, MASTER CONTROL, ANCIENT DREAMS, bulldozer's IX, ASCEND FROM THE CAULDRON, WE'LL NEVER DIE, mephisto's S/T, PERFECT MAN etc. twas a pretty sick year, though not the best.

'82 here, hell of a year. A lot of my favorite music was from that time around high school, but I've since moved on to newer music. I like the old stuff sometimes but it sounds pretty played out and dated to my current ears.

'57 was a good year, not the best ever, but not too shabby, Johnny Cash's With His Hot and Blue Guitar debut, Little Richard's Here's Little Richard, Miles Davis' Birth of The Cool, Duke Ellington's Such Sweet Thunder, Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus, Art Blakey's Theory of Art and Mirage, John Coltrane's Coltrane, Chuck Berry's After School Session, Count Basie's April In Paris, Nat King Cole's After Midnight, Thelonious Monk's Brilliant Corners, etc.